Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 12:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

how about this shade/combo?
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-mhv_fiat_1100103.jpg
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-fiat_1100103familiare.jpg

Last edited by greenhorn : 26th November 2008 at 12:03.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:41   #17
BHPian

Congrats Ravi!

Do try to supervise the restoration daily if you can.
And hoping that you have the SUPER(b) SELECT ready to "rock and roll" by 26th January.
Old 26th November 2008, 12:56   #18

I just realised, we have 5 Fiat Restorations going on in Full Swing!!

Roni's President
Bean's Super Select
My Delite
Amol's Elegant
Suren's Elegant

Also, I just realized, that with all these Restorations, if they are complete by the 26th, We are going to have one amazing and LONG convoy of brilliant Fiats on the expressway on 25th evening.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 26th November 2008 at 12:58.
Old 26th November 2008, 20:02   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Thanks guys.. Anjan, thanks a lot for your comments, they are valued. As Shyam says, I do have a very good pair of quarter glasses procured from one of my many trips to chor bazaar - more on the parts inventory later !
@ JayD and Cyrus: the colour is still a long while away , though I'm debating between various shades of blue.
Congrats Super Select you've got the quarter glasses so soon. When I was in Kolkata recently, I saw a few pairs of Super Select round shaped side indicators, which were brand new and unused. But by instinct, my eyes were set for Landy spares. Incidentally these round ones were also used in the 1100D and the earliest Presidents.
Old 26th November 2008, 20:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Wish you all the best, Ravi.
A few things. I saw a picture of the car taken long before I was born or even before my parents knew each other - it didn't have quarter glasses even then. If they were ever present, they must have been removed by the first owner.

The bumpers and grille have been on the car from the start. The chrome fin on the boot was added sometime in the early eighties, I think - before I understood anything about car repairs.
The first side indicators on the car, which I can remember, were different. The were large, had a lot of chrome and were shaped like an arrow. I'm trying to procure a picture of them. The current ones were added in the eighties.
Also lost over the years - a Fiat 1100 badge on the boot and a "standing" FIAT logo located at the base of the hood ornament.
Oh Aditya nice to know that the car was with you. An Automobilist to Automobilist transfer of a motor car is something one yearns for. So Super Select is lucky.
Yes Aditya, the pre- Super Select Fiats had that kind of side indicators which were as you say arrow or even fish shaped. These had a chrome divider in the centre. May be someone has fitted the older indicators in this car that were plentifully available earlier. But Super Selects had the round ones that were later used even in the President, till the advent of the Padmini in 1974.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th November 2008 at 20:09.
Old 26th November 2008, 22:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton for all the encouraging words, all you guys..
Dear Behram: Thanks a lot for the offer, I'll take this up with gusto. I'll call you up this weekend and try to visit your place for the wheel rims .
Dear Anjan: Yes, I have two pairs of those round side indicators. In fact I have a huge list of stuff which I'll post pics of asap, so you guys can help me in identifying what is what ! For more detailed pictures of my car, you can look up Aditya's gallery hall !!
Dear Addy: Thanks for the valuable inputs on 6839's history. I would love to have a copy of the early photos you mentioned, as a valuable keepsake.
Dear Greenhorn: Thanks for the lovely shades, those fiats are real eye candy ! I have a few more in mind, will post them sometime soon.
Now coming to the main point - Select or SuperSelect ? Aditya's records confused me for a while when he mentioned the car had no quarter glasses at least from 1967. (which is when his dad bought her). Also the fish shaped indicators, bonnet logo with the "fiat" emblem.. all sure signs of a Select.
However, the giveaway I think, is the thick framed checkered grille which the car has had from the start. Also the absence of external boot hinges, and the number MRX, all have made me conclude this is indeed a SuperSelect, with slight mods done over the years..
Unless, there was an "overlap" model in 1962 (fiat has been doing this, even between the transformation from delight to president) which had a mix of select and superselect features. Any takers for this theory ? Gurus.. inputs please !
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-121.jpg  

Old 26th November 2008, 23:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

i doubt if anyone would remove the quarter glass.
i think its a select with some mods

disclaimer: no idea about fiats Came to this opinion comparing
1962 Fiat 1100 select- SOLD! Originally a Calcutta car, 1 Parsi family owned for 3 gen's. (before me of course!) 90% original! saloon/sedan - Stanher's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP
and
Fiat 1100 Super Select "Quarter Glass" (1962) (Red Treasure a.k.a Spirit of Turin) - hillram's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP
Old 26th November 2008, 23:53   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
I just realised, we have 5 Fiat Restorations going on in Full Swing!!

Roni's President
Bean's Super Select
My Delite
Amol's Elegant
Suren's Elegant
We will have a 6th one in full swing- pretty soon!

And no this is NOT my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect
However, the giveaway I think, is the thick framed checkered grille which the car has had from the start. Also the absence of external boot hinges, and the number MRX, all have made me conclude this is indeed a SuperSelect, with slight mods done over the years..Unless, there was an "overlap" model in 1962 (fiat has been doing this, even between the transformation from delight to president) which had a mix of select and superselect features. Any takers for this theory ? Gurus.. inputs please !
Am by no means a fiat guru but I think you're right atleast when it comes to the grille as an "overlap" feature- karl's 1960 select (MRW 6130) also has a super-select grille, which he said was fitted on the car from new. Also Ive seen quite a few 'select-ish' looking cars in old 60s Indian movies as well with the ss grille. However, karl's car very much has the other features of selects, viz. exernal boot hinges, petrol tank lid etc.
But then again, these have also been changed on many selects to look like later fiats. See whetehr your car had these in the older photos.
Selects were produced here even in '62, the ss I guess came later the same year. And in Italy the select was already replaced with the ss and the speciale (which shared the same grille) by then
So possible that the last of the selects got fitted with the newer grille?

Another sure way of knowing is to check if your car has the fixed stainless steel trim along the roof side gutters, present on all selects. 'can be found out by scraping off the paint there. There's no way of the trim coming off, it being fixed as a part of the body.

Last edited by Stanher : 27th November 2008 at 00:09. Reason: merging of 2 posts
Old 27th November 2008, 00:29   #24
BHPian

Best of luck, Ravisaheb!

Colour should be undoubtedly green with a black hood. Mr. Bean ishtyle!

Please feel free to call Cyrus, if you want to paint any car part in matt black
Old 27th November 2008, 00:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Best of luck, Ravisaheb!

Colour should be undoubtedly green with a black hood. Mr. Bean ishtyle!

Please feel free to call Cyrus, if you want to paint any car part in matt black
Yes Yes!! Very Funny!
Old 27th November 2008, 01:45   #26
BHPian

Finally it goes. For its due, seeing the photos guess its being worked up not very far from my place.
If im not wrong its near mr Naik's place ?
Anyways best of luck,
Live close by, for any help or assistance, im just a call away.

Last edited by kavesh55 : 27th November 2008 at 01:47.
Old 27th November 2008, 08:57   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post

Am by no means a fiat guru but I think you're right atleast when it comes to the grille as an "overlap" feature- karl's 1960 select (MRW 6130) also has a super-select grille, which he said was fitted on the car from new. Also Ive seen quite a few 'select-ish' looking cars in old 60s Indian movies as well with the ss grille. However, karl's car very much has the other features of selects, viz. exernal boot hinges, petrol tank lid etc.
But then again, these have also been changed on many selects to look like later fiats. See whetehr your car had these in the older photos.
Selects were produced here even in '62, the ss I guess came later the same year. And in Italy the select was already replaced with the ss and the speciale (which shared the same grille) by then
So possible that the last of the selects got fitted with the newer grille?

Another sure way of knowing is to check if your car has the fixed stainless steel trim along the roof side gutters, present on all selects. 'can be found out by scraping off the paint there. There's no way of the trim coming off, it being fixed as a part of the body.
62 was a transition year, where the select and super select were both available one after the other. Ravi, what is the date of regn? All other MRX regd cars Ive seen are also Super Selects.

I doubt the Super Select grille on my Select was fitted new, but it has been on the car since the mid 60s for sure. The originals are quite flimsy, so many people made the change. Quarter glasses are just one more way for water to leak in and rust, plus the security factor, so many people would remove the quarter glasses and replace with one piece, especially in Bombay.

The steel trims on the roof rails can very much be removed.
Old 27th November 2008, 09:59   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The steel trims on the roof rails can very much be removed.
Really? I didnt find them so on my select when I had it. They seemed as though integrated with the roof-rail and not riveted/screw-fitted unlike the delights/padminis.
Old 27th November 2008, 18:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yes yes, shyam - the steel rails can be removed. I'd seen a set available in chor bazaar which was removed from a 60 select. God, this is really confusing, but finally I think I'm inclined to believe it's a super select after all. The date on the RC book is 2nd May 1962.
@kavesh: thanks, I'll need your help with spare parts shops in the opera house area. Btw, the car is in gaiwadi, girgaum.
@salil: long time no see man ! glad you've surfaced !!
Old 27th November 2008, 19:44   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@kavesh: thanks, I'll need your help with spare parts shops in the opera house area. Btw, the car is in gaiwadi, girgaum.
Know that will help you with spares too.

Last edited by aah78 : 11th March 2014 at 21:03. Reason: Quote fixed.

Most Viewed