Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2008, 21:42   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@kavesh: thanks, I'll need your help with spare parts shops in the opera house area. Btw, the car is in gaiwadi, girgaum.
Ravi, thats very close to my old house. I used to stay opp Benham Hall Lane just above the Dolphin car showroom. Most of the Spare Part shops are located in this lane.

All the best with the resto of your car. Will drop by sometimes.
Old 27th November 2008, 22:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Eddy ! Tell me when you're there, we can go together.
Old 28th November 2008, 15:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Good show Ravi, do let me know should you need any help. Though i know nothing about superselects. But we can find out together. Right!!
Old 28th November 2008, 20:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Chor Bazaar Ahoy !

Chor bazar - the place where all yur (classic) dreams will come true. The place to go to for whatever one needs, in terms of parts, trim, and the like. This maze of gullies can bring forth amazing stuff- a shop selling Merc grilles, one specializing in emblems and logos, chaps hacking away gleefully at a padmini just brought in.
Through my numerous forays over the last few months, I have managed to get a substantial haul of fiat stuff. In the shopping cart so far:
Four new doors, in miraculously good condition, from a Parsi owned 1962.
A bootlid, with the notch for the original button lock. (I need a button lock now).
Quarter glasses, a spare set of all glasses for the 62, new windshield rubbers - front and rear.
A grille, a pair of rustless bumpers - nice ! plus a set of SS side trims, new. A shiny pair of Italian headlamp rims - Carello make.
A "casting" walla hood ornament, 2 pairs side indicators.
Dicky logo "fiat 1100", grille logo, horn button (beautiful piece).
A speedometer console with an Italian cover cowl, new toggle switches, and old jewel lights.
One lovely thin steering wheel, original signal box, and original gear lever.
Loads of other stuff, will post as we go along.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-111.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-125.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-126.jpg  

My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-phone-picture-127.jpg  

Old 28th November 2008, 21:15   #35
Senior - BHPian

Wow! That's a long list of parts! I'm sure your car is gonna be a stunner once complete. Its lucky that u guys have chor bazaar still selling old parts. The only proper scrap market in kerala is now selling only modern car stuff! :(
Old 28th November 2008, 21:56   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
The only proper scrap market in kerala is now selling only modern car stuff! :(
More or less the same here! :(

Although of course half of the old car stuff that was available here had been bought off by dealers from Chor Bazaar (viz. Maulana, who used to buy most of the standard car stuff) in recent years.

Nice stash you've got there ravi! 'hope your parents dont mind you buying and hoarding stuff at home though!

BTW, the horn-button you've got seems to be from an early delight. I had 2 like that, fitted to 2 delights I've had (both now sold)
Old 28th November 2008, 22:50   #37
Senior - BHPian

Wow Shyam, you can actually tell its a delight horn button.. Gawwd, I've still got a long way to go, much to learn !!
Btw, I was on the verge of getting thrown out of my house, when I saved the situation by sending the doors, glasses, and boot to the garage. The rest of the stuff sits there, on a precarious "notice of evacuation" period..
And i'm called various names like ragpicker, 'bhangaarwalla' (scrap monger) etc etc !!
Old 28th November 2008, 22:55   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by egangsta View Post
Ravi, thats very close to my old house. I used to stay opp Benham Hall Lane just above the Dolphin car showroom. Most of the Spare Part shops are located in this lane.

All the best with the resto of your car. Will drop by sometimes.

This is news Dolphin had a showroom opp. Benham Hall Lane ????

Quote:
Wow Shyam, you can actually tell its a delight horn button.. Gawwd, I've still got a long way to go, much to learn !!
Btw, I was on the verge of getting thrown out of my house, when I saved the situation by sending the doors, glasses, and boot to the garage. The rest of the stuff sits there, on a precarious "notice of evacuation" period..
And i'm called various names like ragpicker, 'bhangaarwalla' (scrap monger) etc etc !!

Welcome to the club :-). History repeats itself and this time mine to yours .

PS- I had half a bed full of spares mostly secondhand. Bed because it was stored below it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th November 2008 at 23:23. Reason: Please use the MULTIQUOTE button and only 2 smileys per post.
kavesh55 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 29th November 2008, 00:25   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the club! :handshake:

My mum went around telling everyone that Ive converted the house into a garage in her absence! And yes she may have been right, as you'd find some car part or the other in every room of the house, until she had a thorough clean-up on her return!
Old 29th November 2008, 15:36   #40
BHPian

Wish you good luck Ravi. Nevermind if our folks call us some stoogy name that alligns us with some trash collecters; deep down they know what all these things mean to us.

I have seen your car, let me tell you I would love to see it again when it rolls out of the garage the first time after the restoration. Cheers!!
Old 30th November 2008, 00:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a huge bunch Deven, this is what keeps us nutheads going, I guess !!
Old 30th November 2008, 18:17   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Chor bazar - the place where all yur (classic) dreams will come true. The place to go to for whatever one needs, in terms of parts, trim, and the like. This maze of gullies can bring forth amazing stuff- a shop selling Merc grilles, one specializing in emblems and logos, chaps hacking away gleefully at a padmini just brought in.
Through my numerous forays over the last few months, I have managed to get a substantial haul of fiat stuff. In the shopping cart so far:
Four new doors, in miraculously good condition, from a Parsi owned 1962.
A bootlid, with the notch for the original button lock. (I need a button lock now).
Quarter glasses, a spare set of all glasses for the 62, new windshield rubbers - front and rear.
A grille, a pair of rustless bumpers - nice ! plus a set of SS side trims, new. A shiny pair of Italian headlamp rims - Carello make.
A "casting" walla hood ornament, 2 pairs side indicators.
Dicky logo "fiat 1100", grille logo, horn button (beautiful piece).
A speedometer console with an Italian cover cowl, new toggle switches, and old jewel lights.
One lovely thin steering wheel, original signal box, and original gear lever.
Loads of other stuff, will post as we go along.
Great Super Select thats Maulana's shop down there in Mutton Street.You have got so many original SS spares. If one has the patience I am sure any SS can be restored back as the factory original.
Old 1st December 2008, 11:57   #43

All quiet on the western front?? Whats the current status? Car stripped yet or not?
Old 1st December 2008, 22:55   #44
Senior - BHPian

Not yet stripped. The tin guy has just returned from "gaon". The new sheetmetal has been ordered, the job should begin any day now. Breath bated.
Meanwhile Soli is testing the engine (driving around basically ). "Engine majja nu chhe" - he's pronounced. That's a sigh of relief, I didn't want to open up the engine right now.
Old 2nd December 2008, 13:11   #45

Are you changing your Tyres? If yes, can i also put my stamp of approval by doing some burnouts!!!

cheers:

Most Viewed