Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2008, 23:05   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
@kavesh: Enter gaiwadi, keep walking. Just before you see the end, there is a right FORK lane. She's in there. Or simply ask for zenith auto or soli mistry and the "junna model fiat" and they'll guide you.
@Karl - ya, I would replace the door panels, I guess. Especially if the screws are not to be visible, thanks a lot !
@varun: I got the four doors from chor bazaar. They are in real good nick, great line and level, with winder, lock mechanism etc complete, and nice fresh glasses. They came from a Parsi owned select that was scrapped (note the spelling guys ) just two days before I went there. Apparently had a good bodyline, wonder why they scrapped her ? I also picked up bumpers, speedo, and other stuff from this car. There's more parts lying there, will buy those too. She's almost becoming a "donor car" of sorts for my baby. She came from a prosperous family in malabar hill.. impeccable pedigree !!
Any chance she had the two piece taillamps?? I know its a longshot, but its worth a shot!!
Old 7th December 2008, 23:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Any chance she had the two piece taillamps?? I know its a longshot, but its worth a shot!!
No re.. I would've been the first to pick them up !
Old 8th December 2008, 00:29   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They came from a Parsi owned select that was scrapped (note the spelling guys ) just two days before I went there. Apparently had a good bodyline, wonder why they scrapped her ?
Ravi, if you still wonder about something like this, you haven't got to know scrapwalas too well yet!
Old 8th December 2008, 01:29   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Ravi, if you still wonder about something like this, you haven't got to know scrapwalas too well yet!
Then i guess you should be the Sultan of the Hyderabadi Scrapwallahs!! cheers:
Old 8th December 2008, 10:34   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
Then i guess you should be the Sultan of the Hyderabadi Scrapwallahs!!
Actually I was on my way to becoming the Sultan of Hyderabadi Anti-scrapwallahs!! cheers:
Old 8th December 2008, 11:02   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

I would not be surprised if you were attacked by Scrapwallahs in Hyderabad. They tried it with me here in Chor Bazaar but I am an expert in disappearing after grabbing a part at bargain basement price, the grille of MRY3112 being a case in point. Anyways, all's fair in love, war and classic car restoration I guess.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2008, 13:31   #67
BHPian

Quote:
@kavesh: Enter gaiwadi, keep walking. Just before you see the end, there is a right FORK lane. She's in there. Or simply ask for zenith auto or soli mistry and the "junna model fiat" and they'll guide you.
@Karl - ya, I would replace the door panels, I guess. Especially if the screws are not to be visible, thanks a lot !
@varun: I got the four doors from chor bazaar. They are in real good nick, great line and level, with winder, lock mechanism etc complete, and nice fresh glasses. They came from a Parsi owned select that was scrapped (note the spelling guys ) just two days before I went there. Apparently had a good bodyline, wonder why they scrapped her ? I also picked up bumpers, speedo, and other stuff from this car. There's more parts lying there, will buy those too. She's almost becoming a "donor car" of sorts for my baby. She came from a prosperous family in malabar hill.. impeccable pedigree !!

Missed it Man .

Anyways, saw a centre ligt milicento at a garage in town. Asked if it was on sale ? Mechanic replied the owner has not given to any of them who asked for the car, but returned a couple of abuses.
Old 8th December 2008, 21:04   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Missed it Man .

Anyways, saw a centre ligt milicento at a garage in town. Asked if it was on sale ? Mechanic replied the owner has not given to any of them who asked for the car, but returned a couple of abuses.
haha strange that has never happened to me, till date no one has asked me if any of my cars were for sale, indirect offers were made in plenty. Some of them very very tempting i must say, but then that's a topic for another post.
Old 9th December 2008, 17:20   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I would not be surprised if you were attacked by Scrapwallahs in Hyderabad. They tried it with me here in Chor Bazaar but I am an expert in disappearing after grabbing a part at bargain basement price, the grille of MRY3112 being a case in point.
I have not been attacked so far. But yes, there have been a few incidents of difference in opinion with them earlier, more often because of them not keeping up their word and so on. And do they get on your nerves!!

Yes, thanks to my mechanic's help, I too have occasionally been fortunate in scooting off with normally hard-to-find or good parts cheap, as we normally bought stuff in bulk from every scrap car, so 'would just slip in a few good but pricey little stuff into my bike's glovebox or into my pockets and make our exit!

Anyways, Ravi, jusst do make a note: before the painting starts on your car, make sure they close up the reverse light holes at the rear (seen in this pic. from aditya's album, when he had the car:

1962 Fiat 1100 - Aditya's Photo Gallery - Team-BHP

They, more often than not, forget to do so! I had to tell the painter about 10 times to do so when I had my '62 select done up!
Old 9th December 2008, 21:58   #70
Senior - BHPian

Shyam are you saying you actually WHACK spares from scrapwallas ? Wow, chor bazaar mein chor .
Thanks, I do intend reminding them over and over again about the reverse lights !
Old 9th December 2008, 23:43   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shyam are you saying you actually WHACK spares from scrapwallas ? Wow, chor bazaar mein chor.
Hehe.....to be honest, it was more of my mechanic's idea than mine- we used to go spares (and often car) hunting together there, and it was almost always with one scrapwala. I figured out that, the more regular you are with them, the more freely you can move around their "ilAka".
Also they are usually less likely to be concerned about "chiller" (small/petty) items, which they anyway leave out or simply destroy while breaking a car (but otherwise brazenly charge us for if we took it in front of them!) eg. toggle dash switches, the round warning lights on the dash of old fiats ('got more than fair a chance to pocket a bunch of those! ;-)), inner door handles, side-indicators/lenses, rearview mirrors, horn-buttons etc. We were able to convince him into letting us strip those parts off ourselves beforehand, as he knows that his "kaamwAle" would ruin them while breaking the car.
My mech. once nicked a pristine President horn-button (which I slipped into my pocket) from a pile of spares while searching for something else, right under the nose of that scrapwala (KhAmosh raho sa'b.....kuch bhi nakko, bas ana, ----- mArna, nikal jana! )
The trick, if/when you want to/need to do it, is when he's usually busy with some other 'girAk' or when he left on some other work.
But I'd doubt this to work out had it been the older scrap-market here (similar to chor bazaar) as its quite crowded, and everything is available only from the shops, and the shopkeepers are usually present at their shops.

Last edited by Stanher : 9th December 2008 at 23:45.
Old 9th December 2008, 23:55   #72
Senior - BHPian

Wow, this is so exciting man.. And I love this Hyderabadi lingo - mArna, nakko, et al. Got a fair chance to pick up the lingo on a few recent trips.. thodi si mAlumaat ho gayee- jagAn ki aur logAn ki bhi !
Btw you mentioned those dashboard warning lights - after much much searching, I managed to get a pair in terrible shape, for a hundred bucks EACH. And you tell me you nicked them for free .
Old 10th December 2008, 00:12   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Got a fair chance to pick up the lingo on a few recent trips.. thodi si mAlumaat ho gayee- jagAn ki aur logAn ki bhi !
Bahut achche bAtAn seekhe yAru! ;-)

Quote:
Btw you mentioned those dashboard warning lights - after much much searching, I managed to get a pair in terrible shape, for a hundred bucks EACH. And you tell me you nicked them for free
Yes, that's pretty much what they'd charge had they seen me taking those! 'guess I was just lucky! Yes, certainly was, considering that this one guy first had the cars parked in the gulley where his own godown/shop were, before sending them off to the breaking area- it normally wasn't too crowded there, cars were parked in the open, so...!
He did suspect us a couple of times, but we were quick in getting away and/or showing him mostly stuff that we already told we were taking.

However, there was one time when I wasn't so lucky, and ironically this was when I'd PAID for the stuff! It was an original italian speedo (MPH) taken with a few other parts from a nice early select that was sadly scrapped before I could go for it! :-(
I had the things (except the steering wheel, which I carried by hand) put into a sack and clamped onto my scooter (then a chetak) and from there we had to go to the older scrap-market to buy some s10 spares. When we returned, the sack was missing from my scooter!
This was in a place that was normally crowded, full of shops either side, and adjacent to a mosque!
'was a real bad day for me, especially considering that was a rare meter!

Anyways, 'nuff digression from me I guess!

Last edited by Stanher : 10th December 2008 at 00:16.
Old 10th December 2008, 00:30   #74
Senior - BHPian

He he, need to join you someday man.. sAath mein jAane ko honA !!
Old 10th December 2008, 08:44   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Ravi - come with me to Chor Bazaar one day. But now it is not as good as before, fiat parts are fast disappearing from the shelves.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks