Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 16:03   #271
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ravi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
but remember - today's limelight was stolen by this 'Auntie in her cute little Fiat'.. !"
Congratulations. The limleight is back to you and your ride!

The Business Standard Motoring of August 2009 has chosen your letter as 'letter of the month'!

Your ride is famous nationally / internationally!

Last edited by trrk : 22nd August 2009 at 16:05.
Old 22nd August 2009, 23:35   #272
Senior - BHPian

@rajesh: Hey thanks for your comments on the BSM article !!
@shyam: Dude, you can have as much fun in a StanHer, or in a Pennant.. and I think the 'without spouse' days are much more fun, aren't they ?
Old 23rd August 2009, 00:21   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
and I think the 'without spouse' days are much more fun, aren't they ?
Well, I might have a different idea about this.....but I take it (atleast for now!) that you'd know better!
Old 23rd August 2009, 16:46   #274
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
@rajesh: Hey thanks for your comments on the BSM article !!
Pleasure was mine!

Nostalgia: I was ferried to school with a bunch of other kids to school in car, one of them being a 1963 model similar to yours. I remember the day when my father and maternal uncle brought it here after taking delivery from Tiruchirappally, Tamil Nadu.

The Fiat was adorned with fancy wheel caps which I preserved for a long time after the car was no longer in the family.

Nescafe was launched then and my father got his first taste there. Henceforth we shifted to 'instant' from the faithful filter coffee (Polson's coffee with chicory blend was our favourite)!
Old 23rd August 2009, 21:44   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,
Nescafe was launched then and my father got his first taste there. Henceforth we shifted to 'instant' from the faithful filter coffee (Polson's coffee with chicory blend was our favourite)!
Wow Rajesh ! You have an amazing knack for narration. In two lines, you recreated an era we'd love to go back to.
BTW I too used to be ferried to school in a '59 fiat.
My mom too tried nescafe, but went right back to good old filter kaapi decoction, made in a praaper filter.
@shyam: get married soon pal.. but don't say I didn't warn you.
Old 23rd August 2009, 23:47   #276
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My mom too tried nescafe, but went right back to good old filter kaapi decoction, made in a praaper filter.
@shyam: get married soon pal.. but don't say I didn't warn you.
Hehe...sure! I know what you mean!

BTW, surprising to find that someone outside the South actually liked- and made- filter kaapi! I didn't reckon you were a southie, going by your last name...just curious!

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd August 2009 at 23:52.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:22   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Hehe...sure! I know what you mean!

BTW, surprising to find that someone outside the South actually liked- and made- filter kaapi! I didn't reckon you were a southie, going by your last name...just curious!
He he ! No no, I'm a pucca Maharashtrian, chitpavan brahmin !!
But who in this wide wide world will not enjaay south indian kaapi ? We get the powder from a tiny shop called "mysore concerns" which sells only coffee powder and coimbatore butter.
Old 24th August 2009, 13:30   #278
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Wow Rajesh ! You have an amazing knack for narration. In two lines, you recreated an era we'd love to go back to.
BTW I too used to be ferried to school in a '59 fiat.
Thanks. But then there is a lot of inpiration here!

We never went back to the filter coffee. It is still instant, the brand varies. Nescafe, Bru and now Continental Speciale.

The pre 59 Fiat that comes to my mind is the KLA 1 of the then collector. My father was a Fiat loyalist then. But he booked for a Standard Pennant, but the model changed to a Herald by the time his allotment matured and so he stuck on to Fiat itself.

There were so many cars that he had described, unfortunately not an enthusiastic clicking family and so hardly any pictures of them.

I remember a photo of myself sitting in a pre 60 (one where the headlight is not on the handle) Lambretta. Should dig it up!
Old 24th August 2009, 20:42   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks. But then there is a lot of inspiration here!

I remember a photo of myself sitting in a pre 60 (one where the headlight is not on the handle) Lambretta. Should dig it up!
Thanks buddy ! And please dig out those photos !!
Old 24th August 2009, 20:57   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The pre 59 Fiat that comes to my mind is the KLA 1 of the then collector. My father was a Fiat loyalist then. But he booked for a Standard Pennant, but the model changed to a Herald by the time his allotment matured and so he stuck on to Fiat itself.
The standard companion too was available by then with the Herald, so he could've gone for one of those too. Or maybe he liked the Pennant shape better.

Quote:
DO I'd love to see it- it'd be a 1959 series 1 Li. Very rare now.
Old 27th August 2009, 13:18   #281
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Thanks buddy ! And please dig out those photos !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
DO I'd love to see it- it'd be a 1959 series 1 Li. Very rare now.
For you two especially:

The first image in the following link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...my-albums.html

I hope I was correct.
Old 27th August 2009, 15:01   #282
Senior - BHPian

Hey Rajesh, that's a lovely treasure trove of pictures ! Any more would be appreciated !!.
BTW, why don't you post them in the "Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars" thread in the Vintage and classics section. They'd be hugely appreciated and wanted there too.
Old 27th August 2009, 16:16   #283
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Hey Rajesh, that's a lovely treasure trove of pictures ! Any more would be appreciated !!.
Thanks. Was that the Lambretta you had mentioned? Let me see what I can find, I doubt there are much more with me. All the fascinating cars were with my grandfather, but photos, if any are not with me nor are they accessible to me now.

Quote:
BTW, why don't you post them in the "Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars" thread in the Vintage and classics section. They'd be hugely appreciated and wanted there too.
It is already moved there.

The reason I posted it separately was these relatively insignificant images would be lost in that sea of really good nostalgic pictures. But then the decision about where should be is not in my hands.

My father always was partial to Fiats when he started buying himself and to his death in 1985 only had them. Whereas my maternal grandfather had mostly other cars except a couple of Fiats.

Thanks again.
Old 1st September 2009, 19:35   #284
BHPian

Please excuse me if i am posting this in the worng thread, i am doing so because this is the most active FIAT thread off lately.

I have a FIAMM Horn with the switch and it says Made in Italy and i am not familiar with FIAT's so pm me if anyone interested.
Old 13th September 2009, 23:14   #285
BHPian

Dear Super Select,
Great Job done. The headlights appears very bright in one of the photos. I wanted to know whether you have fitted any special bulbs with relays?

Most Viewed