Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2009, 13:08   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Dear Super Select,
Great Job done. The headlights appears very bright in one of the photos. I wanted to know whether you have fitted any special bulbs with relays?
Hi Samish, thanks for your appreciation !
No, the headlights are stock, Lucas. In fact I haven't changed them, they've been on the car since the earlier owner fitted tham ! I'll check details and revert.
But you're right, they do give wonderful illumination.
Old 15th September 2009, 20:55   #287
BHPian

Thank you, Super Select for the reply.
I have one more question. I may have missed the detail, but are you using a dynamo generator with a 3 or 5 point cut out or have you fitted the modern day alternator for battery charging.
Old 15th September 2009, 22:28   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samish_g View Post
Thank you, Super Select for the reply.
I have one more question. I may have missed the detail, but are you using a dynamo generator with a 3 or 5 point cut out or have you fitted the modern day alternator for battery charging.
No man ! I'm using an alternator. The car had one when I got her, so I'm continuing with it.
As I have yet to venture into the mechanicals of the car, I've (conveniently) let the alternator be as it is. Who knows I may actually be tempted to change over to a dynamo someday, for "oh-ree-G-nality" !!
Many of us Fiat guys get a "high" when we see the dynamo light come 'on' while idling or at traffic signals !
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:10   #289
Senior - BHPian

SS and the genius

My SS had been giving a bit of trouble of late - poor girl, was neglected as I was travelling extensively. I'm beginning to believe Fiats have a heart and soul. The sound was not right, there was a power drop, and the last straw was that she refused to start at all- not even with the electronic fuel pump.
Called our genius tuner Adheesh, who landed up in record time and got working on his magic .
He worked on the carb settings, air settings, removed an 'unwanted' washer from the carb. Then he proceeded to work on the timing adjustment. (Maybe Adheesh himself can explain the technicalities of what he did - I am the kind who requires a book on "Fiat engines for Dummies")

After a few ripping trial rounds, we bought and fitted a new set of distributor wires, and a distributor cover (the current ones were from a Maruti 800).
Boy, the difference is remarkable - the sound is now even headier and addictive. The power delivery is linear and no-nonsense. All in all, the car has gotten peppier and reeeeal fun to drive !
Adheesh buddy, can I ever thank you enough ?
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-dscf01001-desktop-resolution.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2009, 20:55   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
My SS had been giving a bit of trouble of late - poor girl, was neglected as I was travelling extensively. I'm beginning to believe Fiats have a heart and soul. The sound was not right, there was a power drop, and the last straw was that she refused to start at all- not even with the electronic fuel pump.
Called our genius tuner Adheesh, who landed up in record time and got working on his magic .
He worked on the carb settings, air settings, removed an 'unwanted' washer from the carb. Then he proceeded to work on the timing adjustment. (Maybe Adheesh himself can explain the technicalities of what he did - I am the kind who requires a book on "Fiat engines for Dummies")

After a few ripping trial rounds, we bought and fitted a new set of distributor wires, and a distributor cover (the current ones were from a Maruti 800).
Boy, the difference is remarkable - the sound is now even headier and addictive. The power delivery is linear and no-nonsense. All in all, the car has gotten peppier and reeeeal fun to drive !
Adheesh buddy, can I ever thank you enough ?
Please dont thank me, it is my pleasure in helping Fiat lovers! However, please please do remove the mud flaps. You will notice the difference yourself !!
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:22   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Please dont thank me, it is my pleasure in helping Fiat lovers! However, please please do remove the mud flaps. You will notice the difference yourself !!
Why is that older car did not have mud flaps? And they looked better without them.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:56   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Done sir.. will have them removed asap - that is when I finally get around to painting the wheel wells in body colour !
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:20   #293
BANNED

Quote:
Somehow that chequered mudflaps are giving it a jhakaaas look.

I feel if you keep them its better, the mudflaps seems to have gelled well with the car settings
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:41   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Why is that older car did not have mud flaps? And they looked better without them.
In these cars, the body ends higher up than the actual ground clearance (in the above photograph, the differential). The mud flaps in such a case are extra large and look out of proportion like the ones on trucks compared to the rest of the intricately detailed body. Furthermore, who wouldn't like to showoff a shiny fueltank and nicely painted differential & shock absorbers whose attention would else be shared by the "non-origeeeenaaal" mudflaps ! What say ??
Attached Thumbnails
My 1962 Fiat Super Select - the journey begins.-dsc02701.jpg  

Last edited by adheesh : 22nd September 2009 at 23:42.
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:23   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Somehow that chequered mudflaps are giving it a jhakaaas look.

I feel if you keep them its better, the mudflaps seems to have gelled well with the car settings
Pavan sir... whatever happens to the mudflaps is secondary - but it's great to have you drop in on my thread !
Old 23rd September 2009, 08:24   #296
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Adheesh / Ravi - you also need to check the valve clearances, exhaust back pressure and air cleaner cleanliness. I am very happy that Adheesh is doing exactly what I would have done. Ravi - I would like to see the car when I am in Mumbai. Work schedule is very tight but maybe this weekend if time permits.

PS - my toolbox (Adheesh knows), is in Nasik as my 3 cars are in Nasik.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:23   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Adheesh / Ravi - you also need to check the valve clearances, exhaust back pressure and air cleaner cleanliness. I am very happy that Adheesh is doing exactly what I would have done. Ravi - I would like to see the car when I am in Mumbai. Work schedule is very tight but maybe this weekend if time permits.

PS - my toolbox (Adheesh knows), is in Nasik as my 3 cars are in Nasik.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
The car has a oil type air cleaner and was clean. Valve clearances were slightly on the lesser side, but unfortunately I didn't have my feeler gauges since I was carrying only the essential 'breakdown tools' with me. When tuning the car, the car was running on a half pipe setup, by the time the car reached home after a test run, it was running on a free flow configuration. So, the exhaust back pressure wouldn't be applicable Ravi please explain

Also you would be glad to know that my tool box has been configured keeping in mind your toolbox however with some minor changes to make it exactly the way I want it to be.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:07   #298
Senior - BHPian

Eff Eff Eee !!

Quote:
When tuning the car, the car was running on a half pipe setup, by the time the car reached home after a test run, it was running on a free flow configuration. So, the exhaust back pressure wouldn't be applicable Ravi please explain
Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Oh you MUST hear this one - When we finished the test run and I saw off Adheesh, I headed home.
On the way, the silencer gave way and dangled down, resulting in a sound so awesome, it would make Cyrus green with envy .
The last half kilometre to my place woke up the entire neighbourhood - even the deaf must've regained their hearing !! (wish I'd recorded the sound)
And as I backed into the parking slot in my building, kids came running down to see what this madman in his contraption was upto !
All in all a memorable experience.
@Behram: It would be my privilege if you drive my car and give me some feedback. I'll call you and come over on Sunday.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:16   #299

Have You changed the exhaust yet? Time to put a nice Free Flow I think!!
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:12   #300
BHPian

Quote:
In these cars, the body ends higher up than the actual ground clearance (in the above photograph, the differential). The mud flaps in such a case are extra large and look out of proportion like the ones on trucks compared to the rest of the intricately detailed body. Furthermore, who wouldn't like to showoff a shiny fueltank and nicely painted differential & shock absorbers whose attention would else be shared by the "non-origeeeenaaal" mudflaps ! What say ??
My goodness! Wonderful!

The underbody chassis and fitments on 4979 are in a condition "just as I would want them to be".

Most Viewed