Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2008, 08:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted

BHPians,

I've been thinking of taking few vintage vehicles in my automobile lineup for long and i'm already under process of getting my Moris Minor into the road.

Yesterday I have spotted a beautiful Plymouth Belvedere model car used for marriage reception duty. I'm planning to negotiate the car from the owner, not sure if he is going to accept my request. However I spoke to him and looks promising.

Though the car doesn't have original engine, I'm thinking of taking your ideas if it is possible to acquire the original engine by any chance and how much ?

See the pictures and let me know what do you think about this car. The car's top has been cut with blade not soldered out. Hence the top is available, rear glass is available, some of the window stems on the body and doors are available. The rear side tail light glasses are also available.

Otherwise the car looks with originality externally. Now tell me what is the car worth ?

Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-image053.jpg

Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-image054.jpg

Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-image055.jpg

Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-image056.jpg

Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-image057.jpg

Last edited by v12 : 5th December 2008 at 13:06. Reason: Pics posted on diff lines.
Old 5th December 2008, 08:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

I'm browsing from my cell, so can't view the images too well, but from what i made out from your post, this car is too buggered up man. The engine is changed, which may not be a problem for some, but the roof being chopped off is a major problem. This is an irreversible change, and the value of this car is nil. Even if u drive this around everyone will think its a rented 'baraat' car or something! Therefore, my advice would be to avoid this one and look out for a proper complete car.

P.s- how about starting a thread for your minor restoration, like your classic thread?
JayD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2008, 09:20   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Yesterday I have spotted a beautiful Plymouth Belvedere model car used for marriage reception duty. I'm planning to negotiate the car from the owner, not sure if he is going to accept my request. However I spoke to him and looks promising.
Though the car doesn't have original engine, I'm thinking of taking your ideas if it is possible to acquire the original engine by any chance and how much ?
I would second JayD's advice- STAY AWAY from this car.

Firstly its been dieselised, and getting an original engine/gearbox for these is a major pain.
I'd come across a similar (although slightly older- '55) plymouth here that was complete bodily (compared to this car atleast) but fitted with a P4 diesel engine. Last price he'd come down to was 85k (which is still high for its condition), but mostly because of the engine I backed off from making any offer.

But worst part on this car is that the roof has been chopped off. And even if its been done by blade only, fitting it and the window stems etc. back wouldnt give you the same finish as the original structure.

And despite this I doubt if he'd still let you have the car cheap.

So do think well over your decision.

Last edited by Stanher : 5th December 2008 at 09:23.
Old 5th December 2008, 10:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
P.s- how about starting a thread for your minor restoration, like your classic thread?

Hmmm Morris restoration is not done by me fully, it is done by someone else i'm taking it under my custody with minor restoration. Also very less time to follow up the work and get them published.

Jeep is like thrust and RD350s was my long time dream and had special attention to each and every bit of the restoration.

Thanks for both of your inputs. I will follow as you have advised.
Old 5th December 2008, 14:24   #5
BHPian

Hi tramm

Trammway,
My suggestion is STAY AWAY but i can give you a another lead. There is one plymouth in great condition in t.nagar. Im not sure whether the owner will give you but you can give a try.

You can find the car near "Amma Restaurant" in G.N. chetty road just behind Bharathiraja hospital in g.n. road. Straight opposite to that hotel you can see a Black plymouth.

Lets hope for the best and update us

cheers man
Old 5th December 2008, 14:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer&shogun View Post
Trammway,
My suggestion is STAY AWAY but i can give you a another lead. There is one plymouth in great condition in t.nagar. Im not sure whether the owner will give you but you can give a try.

You can find the car near "Amma Restaurant" in G.N. chetty road just behind Bharathiraja hospital in g.n. road. Straight opposite to that hotel you can see a Black plymouth.

Lets hope for the best and update us

cheers man

Great, I'm going there now. Will update on tuesday. As I have no connect at home as the recent rain submerged my house.
Old 5th December 2008, 14:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Great, I'm going there now. Will update on tuesday. As I have no connect at home as the recent rain submerged my house.

ALL THE BEST TRAMMWAY i'm sure you'll like that car!cheers:

cheers
Old 5th December 2008, 20:25   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

trammway this is not the Belvedere but the Plymouth Savoy which used to be assembled from CKD kits by Premier Automobiles, Mumbai till 1956 or so, along with the Dodge Kingsway,and Dodge Suburban.It used to share a common 6 cyl petrol engine with the Dodge's.
This car which you are showing here in pictures has many original components. The engine may be gone. The body and even the dash colour scheme are original, the horn ring button are gone. The column shift gears and indicator stalks are gone.The original gear lever used to be a one of a kind design.The parking lights (front ) are gone. The rear tail lights and reversing lights are gone.But many of the monograms on the bonnet and the rear boot remain, though not very chic.Even the wheel hub covers are original.
I am not able to comment as to whether its worth buying it. Restoration will need a lot of efforts and money.
Old 5th December 2008, 22:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Man dont get into this. One you wont find an original engine easily. Two even if you find it, the mounts etc must have been buggered to fit in the replacement. Three its a chop job and a bad one at that. Just welding the rear doors does not make it into a coupe. There has to be reinforcement etc and the proper understanding of physics to do this job right, which the person who has undertaken te job, is obviously ignorant about.

Unless the car is available to you free and you are looking t make a hot rod, id suggest you stay away, both, from the car as well as the guy whos done this to the car.
Old 5th December 2008, 23:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Man dont get into this. One you wont find an original engine easily. Two even if you find it, the mounts etc must have been buggered to fit in the replacement.
which is why I ultimately didnt bother making an offer on the '55 belvedere that has been junking away in the garage where my herald and companion are being done up. I doubt if any of the scrap markets in the country still have any plymouth engines lying around, as they must have taken those in exchange for the Diesel units way back (when it was popular to dieselise these cars) and eventually been scrapped!

One question though- when this is used as a wedding car, why and how did they think of shutting up the rear doors and taking out the rear seats??! Where do they expect the groom to sit then, beside the driver?? They seemed to have ripped off the front passenger seat as well, so maybe he'd have to remain standing, as the boy is demonstrating??

Last edited by Stanher : 5th December 2008 at 23:10.
Old 5th December 2008, 23:33   #11
BHPian

trammway if you decide not to pick this car and if its going cheap please let me know. If the papers are in order as well.. I'll pick it up and make a hot-rod or at least use it as a daily ride.
Old 6th December 2008, 02:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Find out where the original engine is and also find out if the kept the roof and door frames after sawing it off. I am sure they can be traced to some junkyard.

If you can grab those, then they can be welded on and your job will be much easier.
Old 6th December 2008, 19:19   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a typical 1957 Plymouth Belvedere
Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-bel-8.jpg
Old 6th December 2008, 20:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

as anjan has said this is indeed a 1956 PLYMOUTH SAVOY 4 DOOR SEDAN & not a BELVEDERE.
this is evident from the side pattis & the color combo type, the wheel caps and the white wall. the front indicator is wrong, the original is different. please see the differences here-
SAVOY
Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-plymouth_savoy_1956_1.jpg
Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-plymouth_savoy_1956_2.jpg

SOURCE-WIKIPEDIA.

BELVEDERE
Plymouth Belvedere - Spotted-393745000.jpg

SOURCE-www.hemmings.com/.../04/01/hmn_feature12.html

Last edited by amit V8 : 6th December 2008 at 20:39.
Old 9th December 2008, 17:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
trammway if you decide not to pick this car and if its going cheap please let me know. If the papers are in order as well.. I'll pick it up and make a hot-rod or at least use it as a daily ride.

given a chance, how much do you think you will offer for the car ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks