Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2008, 16:31   #16
BHPian

I love these cars and always lusted after one painted metallic blue, standing in my balcony. It used to belong to my neighbour and was a well kept car.

Greati going guys.

@merc2merc: you own more than one!!! awesome.
Old 27th December 2008, 15:54   #17
Senior - BHPian

W123 series Mercs were well built and fantastic useable cars, indestructable if looked after and used properly. The first time tin work under Mumbai's conditions was required only after 15 or more years. Cars inland and away from the sea coast lasted much longer.
However, from collection point of view only the coupe will become a classic, none of the sedan cars will be collectables in the near future. The predecessor W115 is still not collectable as such. But VCCCI accepts such cars for rallies.
These cars are also no longer expensive, and for use a 300D is the best bet, then the 240D. Parts are more or less available.
If one follows the Mercedes trend, then one will see that the sedans carry forward a lot of good features from their previous S class. Today the S class resembles the Maybach, the E class the previous S class. And the prices rise accordingly. For the W123 the preceeding S class was the W108 and it had a similar build quality, solid as a tank.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2008, 05:27   #18

i agree with you on the w123 coupes becoming a collectible due to their low numbers, compared to the sedans. then again, though the sedans are dime a dozen, original well maintained ones are a rarity. i have been on the look out for a coupe for a while. any leads?
Old 27th January 2009, 10:57   #19

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English, with proper punctuation, for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

merc2merc

i used to own a LHD 300d manual.had that car close to 9 years.from ma age of 16 to 24...thats now.i saw a person having a w123 300d turbo diesel automatic.so i sold ma car to buy this car.first he coated 2.5l for it.someone of his frd told him that his car is in very good shape and with perfect originality car.i can garanter u its a A grade car.its the american model with power windows,power sunroof.alloy wheels andeverything.original paint.now he's coating 3.5l.i got irritated with him and then sent my mechanic to him to enquire the price,he said not a ruppee less than 3.5l.if ur interested pm me

merc2merc

this american model is a LHD again.

Last edited by aah78 : 27th January 2009 at 21:01. Reason: Posts merged (20 min rule). See note.
Old 15th November 2009, 19:11   #20
BHPian

Hi ask the moderator to make the w123 to one single tread already 5 to 6 threads not much fun an the whole thing is quite slow
Old 25th February 2010, 23:18   #21
BHPian

200d

I came across a beautiful 84' 200D. non A/C,no tint glass,besides all this what a beauty the old man who ownes this car was kind enough to get me the pics small things the car will be factory fresh its amazing to see such virgin car see the engine bay the interior even the keys and the guy is got a load of original spares along with car when imported the pics of the spares i have posted is only 25% so nothing more to say about this beauty the rest is left to the BHPians
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz W123-image149.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image156.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image150.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image147.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image148.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image157.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image155.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image154.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image152.jpg  

Mercedes-Benz W123-image146.jpg  

Old 26th February 2010, 11:18   #22
Senior - BHPian

good undisturbed mercedes w123,a car which is worth buying for someone looking for a w123 for collection purpose
Old 26th February 2010, 12:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice car imperial now this is what I call an intacy benz. That dash is not cracked a common bimari :(. can't really call it that because in modern MB this happens in 10 year but in 123 it only happens after a couple of decades

People really know how to keep cars in south and seem more connected to them (my observations since a couple of decades) I suppose the wheather also helps

Last edited by canonball : 26th February 2010 at 12:39.
Old 26th February 2010, 12:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Nice car imperial now this is what I call an intacy benz. That dash is not cracked a common bimari :(. can't really call it that because in modern MB this happens in 10 year but in 123 it only happens after a couple of decades

People really know how to keep cars in south and seem more connected to them (my observations since a couple of decades) I suppose the wheather also helps
to the former, but not about the weather at least in kerala, with its 2 long monsoons and one long summer,if you are not carefull your car is going to show the ''weathering''
Old 26th February 2010, 13:40   #25
BHPian

These W123s are well on their way to becoming classics - nice to see such a well maintained example.
Old 26th February 2010, 13:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
These W123s are well on their way to becoming classics - nice to see such a well maintained example.
all w123s are not classics,the coupes may become,but they are definitely collectible
Old 4th August 2010, 12:46   #27
BHPian

Very right! ! It is the best car that I have seen! I own a 300D W123. W123 series are the best cars even in the Mercedes series till date. The new generation may have more gizmos and safety kits, but the W123 are more sturdy & safe. The body in particular is the best and very well supported by the engines which are powerful & fuel efficient (esp. 300D).

I am again looking out for another one. Does any one know or have any clue?
Old 4th August 2010, 14:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartikars View Post
Very right! ! It is the best car that I have seen! I own a 300D W123. W123 series are the best cars even in the Mercedes series till date. The new generation may have more gizmos and safety kits, but the W123 are more sturdy & safe. The body in particular is the best and very well supported by the engines which are powerful & fuel efficient (esp. 300D).

I am again looking out for another one. Does any one know or have any clue?

yes,w123 and w126 are considered to be the best models built by MB.
there is a saying that till ""globalisation'' cast its tentacles MB cars were built by Engineers and after that by Accountants!!!
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2010, 17:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
yes,w123 and w126 are considered to be the best models built by MB.
there is a saying that till ""globalisation'' cast its tentacles MB cars were built by Engineers and after that by Accountants!!!
Very True! Early the Mercedes Benz cars were Engineer's wonders now it has become business & management people's wonder which keeps people wondering. The new Mercedes cars are more Japanese in nature i.e. more electronic parts including for your ingition which cost a lot and have less life particulary in a humid, hot & rainy country like India and also due to soil conservation being absent in India due to which dust affects the electronic part. This makes the maintenance of new Mercs a very costly &
repetitive affair. The last reasonable model was the W124. But the current Mercs built quality is not the German built quality ... the quality that makes the car last long and pass from one generation to another for generations.
Old 5th September 2010, 10:15   #30
BHPian

My 300D alternator has failed (rotor slip rings worn out beyond limits). Does anyone know where I can get a new rotor, or where I can get the slip rings replaced? Is there any Indian alternator that be used as a replacement?

Most Viewed