Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 00:22   #61
BHPian

Re: Mercedes Benz W123

Just drive a really hard bargain buddy, and be prepared to shell out another 2.5lacs minimum for the mechanicals, if you do reach a final figure of what you were initially budgeting for this car (niggle free) then go ahead!
Old 28th February 2012, 10:42   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
@tazmaan- Very well put. I agree on that last line. But once bitten twice shy. Bought my first RD on impulse, made the deal on the street where i met the bloke. That bike bled me dry. The second one was done with proper homework and is still a gem.

Isnt the turbo engine a better option though? As in, it was a newer technology AFAIK. What kind of niggles did the 5s M have?
For checking the heating with the AC on, how long would the car need to run with the AC on for the overheating to show up?
I bought my W123 from Bangalore from a Tbhp member. I had seen the add, my sister who stays in bangalore had a look, I flew down, paid him, drove back! The same when I bought a Nissan Pintara when I was in Australia, woke up one morning, checked my savings account, went to a used car dealer, selected the car, paid and drove back! Even my used palio 6 years back was bought in 1 hr flat! Any other car that I like and thought over it never made it to my garage.

Drive the car atleast 30 mins with AC on, remember drive it don't idle it, because the overheating might not show if you just idle the car with AC on.

Quote:
Another detail i forgot to mention was that after taking the test drive, i parked the car and turned off the motor, as in turned off the key, but the engine kept going. Only after i opened the driver side door did the engine stop. I found that weird and didnt think about it, until i read up on some reviews where someone else has pointed out that this happens if there is a leak in the vacuum system.
This is now a standard feature on W123's, I have the exact same problem, fixing this and maintaining this is a big hassle. The central lock (if vacuum operated) wont work as well. You will get used to the delay of around 10 secs before the car shuts down. If I am not mistaken, a faulty vacuum system which is not properly disconnected will result in brake issues pointed out by you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Just drive a really hard bargain buddy, and be prepared to shell out another 2.5lacs minimum for the mechanicals, if you do reach a final figure of what you were initially budgeting for this car (niggle free) then go ahead!
2.5 lacs is a bit too much, the mechanical parts of these cars are not really expensive and easy to source too. Only few unique bits like power steering, AC, body parts will be expensive. I have spent approximately 1 lac on my car which include change of power steering and AC compressor, regular services and polishing over almost 3 years. I changed the power steering because mine had too much play, I replaced it with another one from a car which was being scrapped and had minimal play. My old power steering unit is still with me as a back up . Oh yes I too like to get my hands dirty very often, its just like you feel connected with the car
Old 28th February 2012, 11:00   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazmaan View Post
This is now a standard feature on W123's, I have the exact same problem, fixing this and maintaining this is a big hassle. The central lock (if vacuum operated) wont work as well. You will get used to the delay of around 10 secs before the car shuts down. If I am not mistaken, a faulty vacuum system which is not properly disconnected will result in brake issues pointed out by you.
Cripes. This is worry some indeed. Cause it means in the short time that i get to check the car, i cannot determine which of the things are faulty. Is it the brake callipers, the lines, the clutch, the vacuum system. What kind of system affects the brakes, the engine and the door locks all in one go??!!
So you are saying its impossible to tell right now where the problem lies? And one needs to make a leap of faith and go with the gut?

P.S- i believe you have been very lucky with your car purchases. :-)

@kevinephraim-- lol, i dont think the guy will bargain. But will give it a shot. With the details unraveling in this thread, its more and more likely i will give it a pass; cause i will need a lot more time with this car to understand it before i can buy it and the owner i think is short on time. May not wait.
P.S- 123 parts are not that expensive. They share some motor parts with Tata 407 trucks.
Old 28th February 2012, 17:22   #64
BHPian

Quote:
With the details unraveling in this thread, its more and more likely i will give it a pass; .
Decoded the VIN of this particular car and unraveled a bit more!
Old 29th March 2012, 19:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hey do 123 get featured here then there is one here . Clean and great overall original condition. Originally German consulate and second owner ever since . 250s badged. With sunroof

Cheers

Mercedes-Benz W123-image2393197936.jpg

Mercedes-Benz W123-image124904196.jpg
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 21:39   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Hey do 123 get featured here then there is one here . Clean and great overall original condition. Originally German consulate and second owner ever since . 250s badged. With sunroof

Cheers
Looks like a very clean car body wise, Interiors are a bit on the shabbier side IMHO, Is this for sale now?
Old 29th March 2012, 21:51   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Looks like a very clean car body wise, Interiors are a bit on the shabbier side IMHO, Is this for sale now?
The interior is super clean un waxed or polished. Sir in my stable now

Part of the NFS club

cheers
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2012, 18:56   #68

Hey all of you. This is my first post in T-BHP . I am a proud owner of a w123. The dashboard of my car however has those cracks kind of thing in between which is not noticeable during night times, but in day it makes it look not so good. Any one has any idea about how to get it fixed? I appreciate any kind of help in this regards.
Old 12th February 2013, 23:29   #69
Distinguished - BHPian

This weekend got myself a copy of the February issue of UK Topgear Magazine. In it an article about "cars with soul".

On the W123:

Widely thought to be the best engineered motor car ever. As well made as some cathedrals according to May.

Love my W123!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 12:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

When we moved into India from Oman, my dad was nice enough to bring his W123 240D. Was sand beige color with dark brown interiors. Really pimped out from what i remember. One of the drawbacks was that it was LHD and my mom spent many a time telling my dad which free space to use to overtake a slower moving vehicle. Had a serious technical failure when the driver drove the car with the hand brake not fully released.

Bought in 1982 and sold to the owner of Nutrine Sweets in 1990. I miss her dearly and would buy one if I ever got the chance. I totally endorse James May's words on the W123. Built like some old cathedrals indeed.
Old 13th February 2013, 12:49   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I totally endorse James May's words on the W123. Built like some old cathedrals indeed.
Hear, hear, I agree totally.
I've owned my 1982 W123 for about 7 or 8 years. Over the years I have done quite a bit of work. I'm always amazed on how this car was put together. Because the engineers actually thought through how you have to take things apart too.

Must be one of the very few cars around, modern ones included, where you can take for instance the door cards off in under a minute. No hassle, no clips or other contraptions that break. And then you mount it again, perfectly alligned, no rattles, within a minute!

Mercedes parts availability is legendary, at least in Europe. For cars up to 30 years you can buy most parts for very reasonable prices at the Mercedes dealers. This is stark contrast to my Alfa Romeo. Parts availabillity will be an issue at the launch of the car and will remain so untill the car becomes sought after in classic/vintage circles and a healthy aftermarket supply kicks in.

As I've been living abroad for the last three and a half year my W123 is in storage. Occassional I get a friend or one of my sons to drive it. Or when I visit. So it sits idle for 6-9 months at a time. We put a battery in and it will fire up immediately and it will drive perfectly. No rattles, no pecular noises. Just as a Mercedes should.

Mine is the very basic 200. In those days a basic Mercedes was very basic, but still, every switch still works as advertised. The indicator/light stalk on the steering wheel still feels taut and new. Same for the gear.

Love this car!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 13:21   #72
Senior - BHPian

As I was a bit too young to drive my dad's Mercedes at the time, I remember him speak about some features of the car that seemed advanced at the stage. He spoke about how the steering would 'weigh up' at higher speeds. I remember the unique 'Leg brake' and the finger release next to the steering wheel (which caused the technical failure in my car eventually). Bar a music system, the car had everything.

Here's a photo taken by me at the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart. If you ask me, the car deserves a separate room.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz W123-dsc00979.jpg  

Fullrevs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 13:23   #73
Team-BHP Support

The leg brake was only on left hand drive cars. The right hand drive cars had the handbrake on the dash board
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 21:30   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Here's a photo taken by me at the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart. If you ask me, the car deserves a separate room.
The Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart is well worth a visit. Even if you're not particularly into Mercedes this is an amazing Museum.

See: http://www.mercedes-benz-classic.com...ome.flash.html

Or better yet, watch this youtube video:

It is an amazing building that has won many international design and architectual awards

I visited it a number of years ago. I was on a tour of Belgium and the South of Germany with a good friend of mine. We were both driving our Alfa Romeo Spiders. So we pulled up and drove them up the ramp in front of the Mercedes museum. Ze germans were not amused. Chased us away, but not before we took a nice picture. Maybe next time I'll bring my W123. Maybe ze Germans will be more appreciative.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 13th February 2013 at 21:41. Reason: correcting grammar
Old 14th February 2013, 07:07   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Something went wrong with the attachment.
So here we are in front of the Mercedes Museum.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz W123-dsc03590.jpg  

Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks