Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2008, 16:47   #1

MZ Motorcycles in India.

I learnt a new thing yesterday. I didnt even know that a company called MZ motorcycles existed, and then i was enlightened by an Uncle of mine who apparently still has one. So i would like to know if there are other such specimens in and around India.

Also, This same uncle also owned an Alfa Romeo(dont know which) , a 65/66/67 Mustang and a 58 Ford Thunderbird
Old 24th December 2008, 16:58   #2
BHPian

yeah, there are quite a few around. When the Jawa factory in Mysore closed down, some of them were rescued from there.

there is ETZ 125 sitting at CBX racing in Chennai. Been there for quite some time now.
Attached Thumbnails
MZ Motorcycles in India.-modmz125150etz.jpg  

Old 24th December 2008, 17:16   #3
BHPian

Where was this company from ??
Old 24th December 2008, 17:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where was this company from ??
MZ Motorcycles(Motorrad und Zweiradwerk) was a German Motorcycle manufacturer based in Zschopau,Germany.Started making motorcycles in 1922. Production of all MZ motorcycles ceased in June.
The MZ factory closed it's doors for the last time on 12th December 2008.

MZ Motorrad- und Zweiradwerk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

History of MZ Motorcycles

Last edited by agspins : 24th December 2008 at 17:35.
Old 25th February 2009, 00:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_trooper View Post
yeah, there are quite a few around. When the Jawa factory in Mysore closed down, some of them were rescued from there.

there is ETZ 125 sitting at CBX racing in Chennai. Been there for quite some time now.
I believe MZ / MuZ is being confused with CZ / Jawa.

CZ / Jawa collaborated with Ideal to make the Yezdi.

Please feel free to correct me, if there was a connection between MZ / MuZ and Ideal.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
Old 25th February 2009, 05:54   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourWheelDrift View Post
I believe MZ / MuZ is being confused with CZ / Jawa.

CZ / Jawa collaborated with Ideal to make the Yezdi.

Please feel free to correct me, if there was a connection between MZ / MuZ and Ideal.

Cheers,

FourWheelDrift
As far as I know there is no link between MZ (Motorradwerk Zschopau) and CZ/Jawa except the close proximty of the companies, East Germany and Czech. I was initially confused too because most of the websites that sold spares for Jawa/CZ, sold for MZ too. To add it all, the Jawa factory had a few of the MZs. Ive read quite a bit about the MZ but nothing is there to point out the connection with these two companies. Probably Ideal Jawa got these bikes for R&D purposes or was there a collaboration waiting to happen or that didn't?
Old 25th February 2009, 23:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Ideal Jawa got down a few of the MZ's to figure out their technology - an ETZ250 made more than twice the power of a Jawa 250, even a 350. For whatever reasons, these machines never made it out of the crate. I had the pleasure of taking a spin on a mint condition ETZ and it was loads of fun. Peaky power delivery and all that, but when did a powerful two stroke ever fail to make you grin wide - ear to ear?

I wish the boffins at Jawa had actually improved their technology by looking at these bikes, it would have been a different story. Sadly, they were stuck in their time warp.
Old 26th February 2009, 00:55   #8
BHPian

I used to see an ETZ250 in Bangalore. There are/were quite a few videos comparing the MZs with Jawas and CZs on youtube. The MZs had a distint barrel.

Like Kutapan said, wish the Ideal Jawa guys pulled them out of the crates and did something with them. I dont know if the Yezdi guys had an R&D department. The guys who got hold of some of the machines from the factory are really lucky, like the MZs, Cezetas, offroaders, and various other engines and motorcycles.
Old 26th February 2009, 01:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRyder View Post
Like Kutapan said, wish the Ideal Jawa guys pulled them out of the crates and did something with them. I dont know if the Yezdi guys had an R&D department.
They had a department, alright. I have been in the building(after Elvis left, though ). Whether they actually did any R&D is anybody's guess.
Old 26th February 2009, 02:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
They had a department, alright. I have been in the building(after Elvis left, though ). Whether they actually did any R&D is anybody's guess.
Probably this was the state of it before and after
Attached Thumbnails
MZ Motorcycles in India.-image00008oy9.jpg  

Most Viewed