Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2009, 01:38   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Dear Mr. Ramanna,

I have noted that you also have old family pics, like that Austin of your grandfather. If you have more similar car pics, would you consider to post on the "Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars" thread?

Another thing, do you have more pics of your Daimler as you picked it up? These would be very nice to see. Also, if you can tell where this car was lying, somehow we Mumbaikars seem to have missed out on this car. It is perfectly alright that you have it and you have done a wonderful job in resurrection, it is just to complete our data on history. Shall appreciate any info given by you.

Regards
Harit
Dear Harit
Which cars do you have, you seem to be a very intreasting person. I am also from Mumbai. Still have my house in Wadala, lived there for 30 years.
I think my Consort came to me from Andheri/Thane area. I do not know where it was lying. The previous owner had business in Mumbai.
I have pictures of my Grandfather and others with cars, as suggested by you I will post them, when i am back in India.
Did you read my story? It was much appreciated by DLOC members. A senior member has presented me with the 'owners manual". It is a rare book itself. I had to crawl under a Consort in this winter to photograph the Hand brake connections to complete my car when I return.
There is a single owner Vaxhuall 6 light,six 3 feet under in Bangalore, they refused to sell but you can get pictures. Sometimes I wonder at people. It is a complete car but family does not sell as it has 31 desendents and is not in the Will, so they would rather let it rust than sell to a restorer.
Regards Ramanna
Old 13th January 2009, 23:09   #17
BHPian

Daimler consort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanna View Post
I have completed resoration of my Daimler Consort 1951. My experiences of the project has been published in "Driving Member" the journal of DLOC (Daimler Lanchester Owners club UK) of which I am a member. If some one is intreasted I could provide the information.
Here is my Story which was published by DLOC. I had tried to post it earlier but I am not sure if it got on. So I am repeating it.
Thanks for reading.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Daimler Dream Team BHP.doc (2.37 MB, 657 views)
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:40   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Would be interested - do you by any chance work for NAL ? If so, I think we have a very good common friend who has told me about the car
Ajmat:
The person you are referring to is the late Mr. K.S.Raman (from NAL). His ex-Mysore Daimler DB18 was gifted by his family to the Atwell-Wislon Motor Museum Trust in the U.K.

I do have a printout from 2006, unfortunately the link no longer exists; and the car does not show up at the Museum web site.

Daimler DB18, 1951
Chassis 50931; Engine 12376
Old 3rd March 2009, 17:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
It seems that his car has a cortal gearbox, preselector type.
What a beautiful car!!

I believe that should be Cotal gearbox

Kind regards

Aditya

Last edited by Aditya : 4th March 2009 at 10:25.
Old 3rd March 2009, 19:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Quote:
It seems that his car has a cortal gearbox, preselector type.
What a beautiful car!!

I believe that should be Cotal gearbox

Kind regards

Aditya
Dear Aditya
Thanks for your comments. Yes It is a beautiful car. After I set the gears it runs very well. Now I have a new set of linkages gifted by another member of DLOC. With this it should be still better. If you happen to be in Bangalore it will be my pleasure to take you for a ride.
Ramanna

Last edited by Aditya : 4th March 2009 at 10:25.
Old 4th March 2009, 11:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Ajmat:
The person you are referring to is the late Mr. K.S.Raman (from NAL). His ex-Mysore Daimler DB18 was gifted by his family to the Atwell-Wislon Motor Museum Trust in the U.K.

I do have a printout from 2006, unfortunately the link no longer exists; and the car does not show up at the Museum web site.

Daimler DB18, 1951
Chassis 50931; Engine 12376

Hello! I just checked, this Daimler is still in Bangalore. There are many vultures hovering around it but as of now it is not to be sold or given away. The family retains it.
Old 9th March 2009, 11:48   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanna View Post
Dear Aditya
Thanks for your comments. Yes It is a beautiful car. After I set the gears it runs very well. Now I have a new set of linkages gifted by another member of DLOC. With this it should be still better. If you happen to be in Bangalore it will be my pleasure to take you for a ride.
Ramanna
Thank you for the kind offer Sir!! I will definately take it up if I happen to be in Bangalore.

By the way, I spent 4 happy years in Bangalore (2000-2004) working for BPL Limited. I even met my wife there

Aditya
Old 10th September 2009, 22:33   #23
BHPian

Daimler Consort 1951 on Road

Dear Friends
At last my Consort is on the road in Bangalore. I have done 96 miles @ 30MPH @17 MPG. or 6Kms/L. The car has 3.5L 6 cylinder engine and pre selector gears. All meters are working even though the car was idle for over 2 decades, under adverse conditions. I up loaded some pictures but not sure if it was accepted by the system.
Iam greatful to DLOC UK and members for help and guidence.
Ramanna
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:22   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Further to my post, I have just received Mr. Ramanna's article, it may be a draft and not the final. Let Mr. Ramanna post it himself, I do not want to be mean.
His Daimler is none of the ones mentioned by me, but it was a Bombay registered car BMU. It will be nice if he can inform about previous ownership, that is not mentioned.
It seems that his car has a cortal gearbox, preselector type. But I am not very clear if it has a cortal box, though he mentions about a lot of efforts to get the gearbox going. There is a similar Daimler with Doc, came from Gujrat and suffering Cortal gearbox problems.
A very similar Daimler was lying in Mumbai in Atlas Mills compound, Tardeo. It was complete upto the hubcaps, then went to Saat Rasta and lost all its fittings. From there it went to Kasli/Speedy, got divided with the body kept back and chassis going to Express towers. Unfortunately this was a different model than the Express towers Aga Khan Daimler and so not of much use. So one more Daimler got into the ground.
Mr. Rammana had put photos in the draft/article I saw, he did up the car very nicely. Now all he has to do is post the article if he wishes, it will be appreciated. Also, a few more pictures of "as bought" will highlight the effort gone into resurrecting the car.
Harit
I am quoting your note even though it is old.
You have very keen observation and remember all Daimler cars of Mumbai.
As requested by DLOC I had written another story about my car in "Driving Member', titled " From Dream to Reality" as compared to earlier "Daimler Dream"
Do you think It would be of interest to readers of Team BHP?
Can I forward a copy to you ?
Not much background information could be found for my car BMU3099. The earlier owner was Mr shenoy living near Grant Road Station. I was told prior to this the car belonged to a share broker( a Gujarati or Parsee gentleman) who went bust but his name is not on the RC records. Mr Shenoy bought the car in a auction after the death of the broker,and till such time it was in the garage of the estwhile owner somewhere in Andheri. Another version is the car got sold to some one in Pune or Indore (before it came to me) where it got cannibalized. The car was certainly badly cannibalized I had to get many the fittings from friends in London DLOC. However the Hubcaps were in place.
Now all this is behind me and the car took part in a rally in Bangalore about which my friends in DLOC expect me to write in the coming months.

Incidentally one fine day a car broker followed me to my house and offered to sell me some parts or buy the car, as I am not a great fan of brokers I politely got rid of him.

It will nice to know as to how many Daimler Consorts are running in India. I can surely help with setting of pre-selector gear, if some one needs.

Mr David a friend of mine from London will be visiting me in December 2010, he has two Daimler Consorts and a Mark IV jaguar. David is an technical expert on the DLOC forum for Daimler cars. David is keen to see my Daimler, though it will not be a patch on his cars.

Ramanna

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks