Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2008, 02:24   #1
BHPian

Restoration of 1951 Daimler Consort

I have completed resoration of my Daimler Consort 1951. My experiences of the project has been published in "Driving Member" the journal of DLOC (Daimler Lanchester Owners club UK) of which I am a member. If some one is intreasted I could provide the information.
Old 26th December 2008, 11:42   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

WIP & before / after pictures would be nice
Old 26th December 2008, 12:04   #3
BHPian

We definitely are interested Ramanna.
Please do post your experiences. And a lot of pictures.

BTW welcome to forum and do post a detailed intro.

Vijay
Old 26th December 2008, 12:46   #4
BHPian

Very interesting..Please do give us more information. I did try to search for your article on the Daimler Lanchester Owners club UK's webpage but nothing showed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanna View Post
I have completed resoration of my Daimler Consort 1951. My experiences of the project has been published in "Driving Member" the journal of DLOC (Daimler Lanchester Owners club UK) of which I am a member. If some one is intreasted I could provide the information.
Old 26th December 2008, 14:05   #5
Team-BHP Support

Would be interested - do you by any chance work for NAL ? If so, I think we have a very good common friend who has told me about the car
Old 26th December 2008, 14:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum Ramanna.
Please post some pictures of the process. Im sure many of us would be eager to learn about the restoration process.
Old 26th December 2008, 20:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Pictures of the car will be lovely. Also if you can scan and post the article pages of Driving Member do so.
Old 26th December 2008, 23:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Would be interested - do you by any chance work for NAL ? If so, I think we have a very good common friend who has told me about the car
No Sir i do not work for NAL.
My car is in Bangalore and right now I am in London. I have the article I Wrote to DLOC UK journal which was published in December issue of the club journal "Driving Member".
This piece titled ' Daimler Dream' does not have all the restoration pictures but few of them, if you wish to read this I could forward it to your email ID.
By April '09 I will be able to invite you see the beauty. BR
Old 27th December 2008, 14:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would be interested to hear about the history of this Daimler. Where did it come from? We had three in Mumbai, a dark blue one often seen on Altamount road, a red one lying in Naaz Cinema compound and a third one lying with a dealer in Mumbai. He was trying to sell to Mallya as his fathers name figured as a past owner in the RC book. I do not know where any of these cars are today.
I may be wrong, but one possible link to NAL was that there was a person in Bangalore who had a Daimler which was a Mysore Maharajah car and is still there and he used to be with NAL but unfortunately is no more. Looking forward to atleast some pics and a little bit of history.
Old 27th December 2008, 16:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Further to my post, I have just received Mr. Ramanna's article, it may be a draft and not the final. Let Mr. Ramanna post it himself, I do not want to be mean.
His Daimler is none of the ones mentioned by me, but it was a Bombay registered car BMU. It will be nice if he can inform about previous ownership, that is not mentioned.
It seems that his car has a cortal gearbox, preselector type. But I am not very clear if it has a cortal box, though he mentions about a lot of efforts to get the gearbox going. There is a similar Daimler with Doc, came from Gujrat and suffering Cortal gearbox problems.
A very similar Daimler was lying in Mumbai in Atlas Mills compound, Tardeo. It was complete upto the hubcaps, then went to Saat Rasta and lost all its fittings. From there it went to Kasli/Speedy, got divided with the body kept back and chassis going to Express towers. Unfortunately this was a different model than the Express towers Aga Khan Daimler and so not of much use. So one more Daimler got into the ground.
Mr. Rammana had put photos in the draft/article I saw, he did up the car very nicely. Now all he has to do is post the article if he wishes, it will be appreciated. Also, a few more pictures of "as bought" will highlight the effort gone into resurrecting the car.
Old 30th December 2008, 15:06   #11
BHPian

Hey guys

It is so nice to read the postings. I will certainly post the story on this site. The DLOC write up does not have all the pictures and is limited by space.
Guys have to wait a bit as I am still in London. Yesterday I went out for ride in two Consorts owned by Mr David Hunns, who is an expert on the DLOC forum. The experience was exciting, as the cars ran at 75 MPH. Only then did I realise how much more has to be done on my BMU3099.The Pre Selector lever could be moved using the little finger. David used only the 3rd and 4th gears. The cars were keeping up with all other latest ones on the haigway. This was a real experience.
David also told me about his busted gear box and was kind enough to present me the gears required to run the Speedometer and some other items. He emptied the box and told me pick up what ever I wanted, I felt like a school boy in a sweet shop.
David is a school teacher and Daimlers are his hobby, he was a Land Rover person before.
I do not know much about the history of my car. Before my name, the RC book of my Daimler shows Mr. Shenoy of Opera House Mumbai. I met Mr Shenoy's sons who told me that thier father was fond of Good cars and that he was a business man in Surgical instruments with his shop in Opera House and factory in the suberbs of Mumbai. Now the family is not into this business. The car was first registered in Feb 1952 and the taxes were paid up to 1972. Now I have paid the one time Tax and got the records up dated.
I will surely share my experiences with all of you.
Best Wishes for 2009.
Ramanna
Old 30th December 2008, 16:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is so nice to read the postings. I will certainly post the story on this site. The DLOC write up does not have all the pictures and is limited by space. Best Wishes for 2009.
Ramanna
Thanks for confirming that your car has a Cortal Gearbox and that it is working. Many cars with such gearboxes landed up being scrapped because no one could fix them. Cars like a Maybach in Mumbai, do you know that a few Ponton Mercs also had these? Very lucky!
I scanned through your article again, you have not mentioned when you bought it. Also, where was she lying in Mumbai? And please do post a photo of the car as found.

You have mentioned that you have paid up the past taxes. I hope you have paid only Rs 6000/- for the period from 1990 upto date as there is a scheme. Pre 1990 the dues have to be paid in full.

Looking forward to your post with pics.
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:56   #13
BHPian

Hi there
My Car has Wilson gear box the planetary type. Once I read the manual it was easy, but found it extreamly difficult to find small parts such as springs etc all obtained from UK. Now i carry few extra. Adjusting / setting it was a pain. Now i am into the last problem I think!! this car had a Hydro mechanical brakes. Hyd in front and mech at the rear. Some one has removed and thrown off the mech. system and tried to make it Hyd. and failed. Now I am slowly finding pieces for this mech system. It should be ready by end of 2009. I can use the car now but i need a brick/wood block to park it. Fluid drive adds to this problem. Hand Brake is a must. I came to know about the Tax scheme after i paid the full amount, but i do not grudge that. Vintage car club of India informed me about the scheme when I became the member subsequently. Now the car is on WIAA and Vintage club of India in Mumbai.
I bought the car in 1998 it was delivered in pieces at Bangalore. It was a risk purchase and I have been the brunt of a joke from all persons i know but now they all hanker for a ride. Now my major investments will be a battery and 4 tyres, it takes Jeep civil. The fun has been I have friends who helped me in Australia, UK and USA.
Being a member of DLOC for 3 years helped me a lot though it costs 37UKP/ year. More as soon as I can. Regards
Old 9th January 2009, 21:32   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestraveller View Post
Very interesting..Please do give us more information. I did try to search for your article on the Daimler Lanchester Owners club UK's webpage but nothing showed up.
Thanks. DLOC journal is print only not an online one. I have posted my story on Team BHP site. Please check this out. Ramanna
Attached Files
File Type: doc Daimler Dream Team BHP.doc (2.37 MB, 1662 views)
Old 10th January 2009, 12:25   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. DLOC journal is print only not an online one. I have posted my story on Team BHP site. Please check this out. Ramanna
Dear Mr. Ramanna,

I have noted that you also have old family pics, like that Austin of your grandfather. If you have more similar car pics, would you consider to post on the "Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars" thread?

Another thing, do you have more pics of your Daimler as you picked it up? These would be very nice to see. Also, if you can tell where this car was lying, somehow we Mumbaikars seem to have missed out on this car. It is perfectly alright that you have it and you have done a wonderful job in resurrection, it is just to complete our data on history. Shall appreciate any info given by you.

Regards
Harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks