Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 06:41   #31
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

re: 1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan View Post
An enthusiast in Hyderabad has acquired this APX .... 1954 Dodge Kingsway, he is seeking help in sourcing some spares and parts...Is there a dedicated thread i can direct him to? Can someone help?
We first of all you must understand that these cars are basically Plymouth's re-badged as Dodge in India. The engine number should start as DP-25 3xx... indicating this car is a Plymouth Belvedere rebadged as a Dodge Kingsway. Remember the Kingsway was the export model of Dodge

ebay is the best source for the lights and missing trims. Please search in 1954 Plymouth for most of the parts. You will need to search in 1954 Dodge too.

Mopar mechanical parts for 1954 on wards is typically available in India. I am sure if you look around in Hyderabad, you will get it. Otherwise, Delhi & Mumbai are very good sources.

Your windscreen will be a big challenge to import due to transportation cost. I understand in Delhi/Mumbai if you give a metal template, the glass will be moulded

All the best

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 08:35   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
We first of all you must understand that these cars are basically Plymouth's re-badged as Dodge in India. The engine number should start as DP-25 3xx... indicating this car is a Plymouth Belvedere rebadged as a Dodge Kingsway. Remember the Kingsway was the export model of Dodge
KPS many thanks for info. Unfortunately, it's original engine is no longer in it, some other implant exists...and the car id plate shows its a Dodge made by Chrysler as is the case. Both Windscreens are missing it seems.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 6th November 2012 at 08:58. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 6th November 2012, 23:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

KPS sir that was an awesome info and very useful tip for the windscreen and parts, trust me though I am not the owner of the beauty but I felt so relieved with your post. I hope the owner feels the same and finds it to be helpful. I have always like Dodge Kingsway since childhood there use to be one in the colony I still live, used to stop and gaze at the mammoth size (I was in 6th std for me it was a like Titanic ship) amazing car I wish I could own one someday.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 21:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An enthusiast in Hyderabad has acquired this APX .... 1954 Dodge Kingsway, he is seeking help in sourcing some spares and parts...Is there a dedicated thread i can direct him to? Can someone help?
Good to know that one of these has been saved that too in Hyd. itself!

Car looks like it'd been sitting in some unprotected spot for a long time though. Has the rear windscreen been taken off or is it broken? What about the handles?

Reg. spares, as KPS indicated, ebay.com or other online mopar parts sources in the US would be the best (and maybe only?) source for original spares if the owner is willing/able to bear the costs of importing.

Any details on the engine?

'hope this car turns out the best!
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2012, 23:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Mr.Khan,

Is this car from Banjara Hills Road# 12 outside a garage.
Old 8th November 2012, 01:53   #36
BHPian

Both windscreens broken, owner is ok with importing, he has a list of what's missing on the car...Not clues on engine's whereabouts yet... Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagadeesh.b View Post
Hi Mr.Khan,

Is this car from Banjara Hills Road# 12 outside a garage.

Don't have much info on the origins of the car...but i am told its an APX. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Good to know that one of these has been saved that too in Hyd. itself!

Car looks like it'd been sitting in some unprotected spot for a long time though. Has the rear windscreen been taken off or is it broken? What about the handles?

Reg. spares, as KPS indicated, ebay.com or other online mopar parts sources in the US would be the best (and maybe only?) source for original spares if the owner is willing/able to bear the costs of importing.

Any details on the engine?

'hope this car turns out the best!

Both windscreens broken, owner is ok with importing, he has a list of what's missing on the car...No clues on engine's whereabouts yet... Cheers!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th November 2012 at 11:40. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 8th November 2012, 09:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Khan

Both windscreens broken, owner is ok with importing, he has a list of what's missing on the car...No clues on engine's whereabouts yet... Cheers!
If there is a list why not put it up. There might be many with duplicates and also who might help source the same. There are lots of sources also globally who can supply. The car needs lots of parts by the look of it and what's the status of the interiors. Dash and inside trim on sides. Please do put snaps if possible. There were many such cars in India, so he might be lucky.

Cheers
kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 11:16   #38
BHPian

Vintage Khan, Hi. Your friend's 1954 Dodge, made in Canada for export, was the last Chrysler corporation model to come to India as a completely built unit [CBU]. Even upto ten years ago, parts were not difficult to source here, but now, its an exercise which leads to nothing but frustration. Your friend may find it quicker and cheaper to make a list of all parts required and then import. The engine will be a major headache. The later Kingsways had engines made in India, and one can still manage to find a new , packed engine amongst military disposals for models dating 1956 onwards. It would be best if your friend first budgeted for a mechanical restoration to make the car roadworthy, and later looked at cosmetics. Any help required, I am certain will be given by many on this forum who have this model. Amal's car is outstanding. Although a convertible, it can serve as a role model, and I am sure he will respond positively to any requests for help.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 8th November 2012 at 11:17.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2012, 03:05   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
If there is a list why not put it up. There might be many with duplicates and also who might help source the same. There are lots of sources also globally who can supply. The car needs lots of parts by the look of it and what's the status of the interiors. Dash and inside trim on sides. Please do put snaps if possible. There were many such cars in India, so he might be lucky.

Cheers
The list is awaited, i'll put it up once recvd, the dash and dials are all intact, just require overhauling or comprehensive servicing...i've more pics of the car, will upload soon..Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Vintage Khan, Hi. Your friend's 1954 Dodge, made in Canada for export, was the last Chrysler corporation model to come to India as a completely built unit [CBU]. Even upto ten years ago, parts were not difficult to source here, but now, its an exercise which leads to nothing but frustration. Your friend may find it quicker and cheaper to make a list of all parts required and then import. The engine will be a major headache. The later Kingsways had engines made in India, and one can still manage to find a new , packed engine amongst military disposals for models dating 1956 onwards. It would be best if your friend first budgeted for a mechanical restoration to make the car roadworthy, and later looked at cosmetics. Any help required, I am certain will be given by many on this forum who have this model. Amal's car is outstanding. Although a convertible, it can serve as a role model, and I am sure he will respond positively to any requests for help.
Thanks for the useful info, he is keen on getting it restored with or without its engine, but hunt for one will go on he said, hope he finds one, cheers!

Yes, both windscreens are missing and so are all handles :(

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th November 2012 at 11:41. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 9th November 2012, 16:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Vintage Khan, Hi. Your friend's 1954 Dodge, made in Canada for export, was the last Chrysler corporation model to come to India as a completely built unit [CBU]. The later Kingsways had engines made in India, and one can still manage to find a new , packed engine amongst military disposals for models dating 1956 onwards.
Did these too come with the Flathead Side vavles straight six like the ones in the pics? A friend of a friend bought two recently. Ones overhauled other still to be. Frightfully expensive these old cars. I could buy a motorcycle or two for the price of these engines.
1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img00751201211091215.jpg
1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-img00750201211091215.jpg
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 10:19   #41
Senior - BHPian

That would be the correct engine for this Dodge ! There was a time they could be had for peanuts ! Now this ! How things change !!!
Old 11th November 2012, 14:35   #42
BHPian

Seen similar blue Dodge car posted by Vintage Khan (post #30), few years back at Denter shop in Hyd, with Regd plate with APX ... could this be the same car, will try to find pictures of it. The owner of Dodge, also have Humber (black) 50's model and Yellow Ford open tourer of 30's
(4-Cyl) that went to Mumbai.

Cheers!
Old 19th November 2012, 13:59   #43
BHPian

The two side valve engines pictured cannot be confirmed as the correct engines for a 1954 dodge unless we have the engine numbers. Externally, all dodge, plymouth desoto chrysler six cylinder engines from 1946 to 1956 look the same. BUT capacities differed. Even certain models of the same year came with different capacity engines. Classic example being the 1947 Desoto. Desoto's of that year, with normal transmissions had smaller capacity engines compared to the ones with a four speed, semi automatic, fluid drive. If engine numbers are made available, I can look up the manual and check. BUT again, any such engines if found, need to be treasured as they are increasingly difficult to come by.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 16:29   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Seen similar blue Dodge car posted by Vintage Khan (post #30), few years back at Denter shop in Hyd, with Regd plate with APX ... could this be the same car, will try to find pictures of it. The owner of Dodge, also have Humber (black) 50's model and Yellow Ford open tourer of 30's
(4-Cyl) that went to Mumbai.

Cheers!
Did you find the pictures of that Dodge? Please post if found...Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Did these too come with the Flathead Side vavles straight six like the ones in the pics? A friend of a friend bought two recently. Ones overhauled other still to be. Frightfully expensive these old cars. I could buy a motorcycle or two for the price of these engines.
Attachment 1012509
Attachment 1012510

Please inform if there's a Dodge engine for sale...Cheers!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 4th December 2012 at 16:42. Reason: Consecutive posts
Old 24th March 2014, 14:56   #45

hi KPS

I too am looking for the hood ornament for the 54 dodge and also for the steering wheel. please suggest where did you find it. Also if any websites where i can find all the rubber parts for the 54 convertible. Also the Dodge badging for the Boot is missing in my car.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
One thing common I noticed that all the1954 Dodge Cars have completely faded DODGE Hood Ornaments. These are plastic with a metal rear and are very rare as only in 1954 they had the word DODGE lettering in the same.

Please find attached the pictures of the one which will go into my car. I searched for all almost 18 months before I got this one

Attachment 966440

Attachment 966441

Attachment 966442

Attachment 966443

Just to give an idea of the size of the ornament
Attachment 966444

Cheers

KPS
Attached Thumbnails
1954 Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto-new-img-7893.jpg  

AbhiNath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed