Team-BHP - Vintage & Classic Cars, An "endangered Species" !
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   Vintage & Classic Cars, An "endangered Species" ! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/52627-vintage-classic-cars-endangered-species.html)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images/smilies/Please.gif

I Have become greatly concerned about the fast disappearing Fiats, Premiers and other small Classic and Vintage cars from the streets of Calcutta!

The law here is such that if a car has not been relicensed each year it is in default, and when it is to be relicensed, all the back years fees have to be paid plus a 100% penalty!

I was looking at a Morris Minor last year and the penalty would have cost more than the Car. As a result cars are being scrapped, never to be seen again.

Our experience in N.A. is that, it is these cars that have become the bed-rock for the Car Enthusiasts who don't have the Deeeeeep pockets that some have, but never the less share a common passion.

I don't know what the situation is in the other States and would hope some effort can be made to preserve our Automotive Heritage for coming generations.

The Statesman newspaper was instrumental in stopping the export vintage cars from India. It was a double edged sword.
1. It stopped the export by creating awareness of our loss of these treasures.
2. Prior to that time, because of lack of general interest, many of these cars would have rusted away.

It least many of these cars found good, loving homes, a pity that more of them could'T have stayed home.

WOULD REALY APPRECIATE SOME FEED BACK AS HOW BEST TO ADRESS THIS SITUATION.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/images...s/Clapping.gif

relicense ?are you talking abt the fitness certificate?

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddartha (Post 1150884)
relicense ?are you talking abt the fitness certificate?

I am referring to renewing the license pates.

i dont understand what you mean by renewing the license plates, here in india , vehicles more than 15 years old have to go thru something called the fitness test which certifies the vehicle to be road worthy, the pre requisites in terms of documents are the up to date tax receipts, valid registration certificate,and emission test certificate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by siddartha (Post 1152333)
i dont understand what you mean by renewing the license plates, here in india , vehicles more than 15 years old have to go thru something called the fitness test which certifies the vehicle to be road worthy, the pre requisites in terms of documents are the up to date tax receipts, valid registration certificate,and emission test certificate.

Did some "research" and over here it means paying your "ROAD TAX".

As a reference in Ontario the system works like this.

Up until about 30 years ago, every year one had to go to the license office and purchase new plates for that year, which were made by prison inmates. They have become collectables and I have a few friends whose walls are covered with them.

Now Plates are issued to the individual, and each year when they are to be renewed, the government mails out a form whereby you can renew for one or two years. This can be done at any of the many private motor license stores. For an additional fee of I think $200, you can order "vanity" plates with anything on it provided no one else has that name or number.

When you sell your car, you keep your plate and the new owner can use his or purchase a new one. Transfer of ownership is done simply with the a copy of a "safety mechanical certificate" provided by a registered mechanic as well as an "emissions certificate" and proof of insurance and bill of sale. If you have all your paperwork in order it takes 15 minutes. They give you a small colored sticker that indicates the month and year it is valid, which is placed on the upper right hand corner.

Any cars less than 20 years old have to pass an "emissions test" every two years. If a car does not pass then if the owner spends around $400. then he can drive it for two years. If it doesn't pass after that, then it has to be scrapped.

I've purchased two cars here in KOLKATA and tried to transfer the 1st. one myself. I could almost write a book about it. In the end, not prepared to offer any "table money" the book some how got lost!.. It was a 64 Fiat and required too much work so I scrapped it.

I HOPE MORE LOVERS OF THE VINTAGE AND CLASSIC CARS CAN PK UP THIS ISSUE AND RUN WITH IT.

John the rules seem to also vary from one state to another. For example AP is more vintage car friendly where the tax is exempt beyond (I think) 15 years. All you need to do is get the fitness check done.

I remember friends in Madras were cribbing about the taxation in TN.

Ideally enthusiasts in these vintage car unfriendly states should mothball the cars and hold until someone manages to lobby and get the taxes waived. At a state level its not very difficult. A couple of you can also meet the CM and make a representation.

Somehow I missed this thread earlier. A few months ago I decided to revive my Bullet that was lying idle for a few years. The total cost for unpaid road tax and penalty and broker's fees etc came to Rs 10,000 !!!

What was worse was the MV inspector's insistence on putting indicators on this bike. I said this vehicle was never designed for those he said change the electrical system to 12 volt. So I had to do all this and change the basic appeal of the vehicle.

Regarding getting a vehicle registered in a foreigner's name - my American friend Mitch did this apparently impossible task by paying a daily visit to the MV office for a month. Of course he had a broker and did pay speed money. He ultimately managed to ship the Bullet back to Florida.
Like auto unions and taxi unions and bus unions, the car owners should have a more active union.
Actually the Automobile Association of Eastern India was supposed to take these issues up with the government on behalf of the motorists of Calcutta. Unfortunately it degenerated in the last few decades into a watering hole for shady promoters and nothing else.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 1155028)
John the rules seem to also vary from one state to another. For example AP is more vintage car friendly where the tax is exempt beyond (I think) 15 years. All you need to do is get the fitness check done.

I remember friends in Madras were cribbing about the taxation in TN.

Ideally enthusiasts in these vintage car unfriendly states should mothball the cars and hold until someone manages to lobby and get the taxes waived. At a state level its not very difficult. A couple of you can also meet the CM and make a representation.

Just checked this thread after a long while forgot about it!

This West Bengal! Glad to see that some other Sates are more up to the mark.
Will have see if the Statesman can give us (?) their list of the participants to send a letter out re this matter and establish a task force.

Wanted much use except try and get the ball rolling.

Might also speck to the Tolly Club as they have 30-40s ambulance that want to restore and that could cost more than the restoration!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Quote:

Originally Posted by john a milne (Post 1177927)
Might also speck to the Tolly Club as they have 30-40s ambulance that want to restore and that could cost more than the restoration!

Can you give us more details and pictures of these ambulances? Sounds interesting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 1178099)
Can you give us more details and pictures of these ambulances? Sounds interesting!

Haven't had the opportunity yet but it is on my list of things to do.

While i have your attention hard working Karl, the herald convertible has caught the eye of a friend of mine, haven't seen it in the flesh and it would need a trip back to Guwahati to check it out. what concerns me is the price of over 1 lak. Is this a fair price? Don't like buying for other people but he is a good friend.

Still haven't got info on my old aluminum hubs that saw in a chromed metal? Are they after market or after 62?

Quote:

Originally Posted by john a milne (Post 1178132)

While i have your attention hard working Karl, the herald convertible has caught the eye of a friend of mine, haven't seen it in the flesh and it would need a trip back to Guwahati to check it out. what concerns me is the price of over 1 lak. Is this a fair price? Don't like buying for other people but he is a good friend.

Still haven't got info on my old aluminum hubs that saw in a chromed metal? Are they after market or after 62?

PS also saw a morris minor convertible, orange and fairly solid and complete, what's a fair price?

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by john a milne (Post 1178138)
PS also saw a morris minor convertible, orange and fairly solid and complete, what's a fair price?

John may I please first guide you to this page - edit a post rather than posting back to back and post in a relevant thread.

Team-BHP - Announcements in Forum : Announcements

Price for Herald sounds too high. If mint and requiring no work, I would price it around 60-65k, but that depends from person to person. Please note also, that there is no such thing as a mint Herald requiring no work:D

Ive heard prices from 1 to 3 lakhs for a complete, ready original convertible Minor.

Quote:

While i have your attention hard working Karl, the herald convertible has caught the eye of a friend of mine, haven't seen it in the flesh and it would need a trip back to Guwahati to check it out. what concerns me is the price of over 1 lak. Is this a fair price?

If you mean the navy blue converted convertible (you'd even posted a pic. earlier?), then my answer would be No.

I'd offer exactly half of that, considering also the transport costs of moving it from Guwahati to Calcutta (if this is where your friend also is based) although I don't know how far the places are from each other.
If he agrees for some price in between, then well and good as the overall condition looks good, atleast in the pic.