Team-BHP - 10 Mustangs through India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Post-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/)
-   -   10 Mustangs through India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-war/52954-10-mustangs-through-india.html)

Last month 10 Mustangs from France made the trip around India.
List included a Eleanor clone, a Bullitt clone, and 67 GT500 among others.

Here is the link:

The roadtrip across India | News and events | The Road of Maharajahs

10 Classic Mustangs Tour India | Miscellaneous Blog & Discussion at Mustang & Fords Magazine

HOT ROD on the Road in India - HOT ROD Magazine

If I am not mistaken, I spotted one of them parked inside Umaid Bhavan Palace on the 29th. I was wondering about its presence and somehow managed a long distance shot of the rear for later reference. Thanks for the post.

Absolutely fantastic!! Man I just love the Eleanor..
It must have been quite an experience..What a lucky bunch!

wow and i get tense driving from shivaji park to marine drive in my classics:)

The Bentleys and now Mustangs. Hello Packard owners out there, game for a pan India drive??? I will do it, that's decided :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MustangMan (Post 1157753)
Last month 10 Mustangs from France made the trip around India.
List included a Eleanor clone, a Bullitt clone, and 67 GT500 among others.

Here is the link:

10 Classic Mustangs Tour India | Miscellaneous Blog & Discussion at Mustang & Fords Magazine

HOT ROD on the Road in India - HOT ROD Magazine

A few of my friends were invited to be part of this trip, both Chet and the Ford GT Chief Designer went along for the ride. There will be a documentary of the trip. They had a great time, but were definitely exhausted by the end of it.

There are tons of images on the site
And you can clearly see Camilo and Chet (if you know him) in many of the shots, such as this
http://www.maharajahsroad.com/Data/Photo/50.jpg

Chet fast asleep
http://www.maharajahsroad.com/DATA/PHOTO/436.jpg

Gorgeous pictures. In an typical Indian setting those cars look awesome

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 1158101)
The Bentleys and now Mustangs. Hello Packard owners out there, game for a pan India drive??? I will do it, that's decided :)

My family had more years in Packard than any other family... 125 years between my Great Grandfather, his four brothers, and his two children. ...my Great Grandfather owned 31 new Packards in his life before the company went bankrupt.

In the early years, he and his best friend Barney Pollard ( who later became the first classic car collector in the world ) used to make some of the earliest, and successful Packard race cars... specifically, the 299 driven by world champion Ralf DePalma. The 299 was the first Liberty engine from Packard, used to test it's balance, power, and specifically it's reliability before it's use in aircraft. It was the very first Production V12 in the world.

When it was raced in Europe after it won pretty much everything in the US; it eventually did a race in Italy against the Factory Alfa Romeo team with Enzo Ferrari at the helm. They were beaten by the 299. Enzo was later quoted saying that the 299 was the way a car should sound, and go. In 1947, Enzo copied the basic design of the Liberty engine, with an overheadcam, two valve head, and a 60 Degree V. Granted, the Liberty was built with an exotic gear-driven cam, rather than belt, or chain driven.

Just last year, I found that very engine, Liberty no. 1 when I found Pollard's grandson. He just happens to live minutes from me. Talk about luck. When he is ready, we will be restoring the 299 Race car to charge ahead for the likes of Amelia, Pebble, and Meadowbrook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthimage (Post 1179153)
My family had more years in Packard than any other family... 125 years between my Great Grandfather, his four brothers, and his two children. ...my Great Grandfather owned 31 new Packards in his life before the company went bankrupt...

WOW !!! Talking about asking the family who owned 31 !!!

Do please share more. Possibly a thread on Packards with pictures? Please do, it would be such a wonderful treat.

I remember reading about Enzo being inspired by a Packard V12 but to actually now come across someone who is fanmiliar with the exact engine and car that insprired him is truly marvellous.

We are all ears. Please do share more, and thanks

BTW Does your family still retain any Packards?

clap:
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 1179313)
WOW !!! Talking about asking the family who owned 31 !!!

Do please share more. Possibly a thread on Packards with pictures? Please do, it would be such a wonderful treat.

I remember reading about Enzo being inspired by a Packard V12 but to actually now come across someone who is fanmiliar with the exact engine and car that insprired him is truly marvellous.

We are all ears. Please do share more, and thanks

BTW Does your family still retain any Packards?

Before long, I'll set up a website with some images that are of my great grandfather, and shots that he took nearly 100 years ago.

Unfortunately, none of the Packards that were in the family are today. Somehow, the obtuse automotive bug bypassed a generation or two; and hit my brother and I in the forehead as children.

I will start a thread on Packards. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about them, but I do know two of the foremost experts in the world on the brand and it's history.

http://www.is-mad.com/upload/userfil...Liberty_1a.jpg
http://www.is-mad.com/upload/userfil...Liberty_2a.jpg

Hidden in the rafters above is the 2nd Cadillac ever made... all that is left in the Pollard family from his amazing car collection of about 1000 cars. The most he ever paid for a car was $300; and quit buying them when prices went up. After that, he started collecting Iron steam-engine trains.

http://www.is-mad.com/upload/userfil...lac_EVER_1.jpg

The chassis is on roughly behind the position of the camera, and to an untrained eye is unrecognizable as anything but some steel bars.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthimage (Post 1180277)
clap:

Before long, I'll set up a website with some images that are of my great grandfather, and shots that he took nearly 100 years ago.

Unfortunately, none of the Packards that were in the family are today. Somehow, the obtuse automotive bug bypassed a generation or two; and hit my brother and I in the forehead as children.

I will start a thread on Packards. Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about them, but I do know two of the foremost experts in the world on the brand and it's history.

What connection between Mustangs and Packards?
Perhaps a new Packard thread can be started to talk about Packards, and suggest another completely new thread " Proposed Packard Rally in India".
But I am fascinated by the story of nthimage and would like to hear more. Perhaps in the dedicated Packard thread. I am also keen on Packards, being fortunate to own a few.
Back to Mustangs. I believe that the Rally is over. Did anyone come across these guys during their tour? I believe that they did this on their own, VCCCI was a bit cheesed off. But whatever, they did not in anyway make a monkey out of us. They just went driving about on their own minding their own business and hope they had fun.
Similarly, the Great Arc Rally seems to be running its course, a friend on mine in Nagpur saw the black Bentley zipping past him and then he tried to follow but it was gone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthimage (Post 1180277)
I will start a thread on Packards.

Fantastic !! Looking forward to the thread as this marque is closest to my heart along with Ferraris :)

Quote:

I do know two of the foremost experts in the world on the brand and it's history
Wow, hope we get to see some posts from them too

AMAAAZING dude.
The 70/71 gt500 makes me cry everytime I see it. Its the most beautiful car ever made. Period.

<Threads Merged>

Check this website : maharajah of the road | en

I'm not sure if this has been posted before. Can anyone throw some light on this event.

10 Mustangs through India-1.jpg

10 Mustangs through India-2.jpg

10 Mustangs through India-3.jpg

10 Mustangs through India-4.jpg

Are all these cars actually from India or are they there on soem sort of promotion for the Mustang. This is what it appears to be going by the regestration numbers on them.