Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 13:24   #1

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951

Hi,

I am initiating the process of re-restoring the family Chevy.
It was resorted in early 90's but due to some impulsive decisions by the family it was jacked up and standing in the air for 14 years.
In the last 18 years, I presume the car has not been driven more then 500kms.

There is some tinning work and the chrome plating to be done. The upholstry will be done once I can get her to be in shape mechanically.

I am looking for the original badges, wheel caps, working clock, break lights (presently using ambassdor lights) etc.

So far, step by step mechanically she is shaping up. Worked on the fuel tank, wiring harness, alternator, radiator, fuel pump etc. Now what I would need sooner or later is to find some old time mechanic who can get the firing sequence on the 6 cylinder engine.

All suggestions and inputs are appreciated and most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-256.jpg  

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-257.jpg  

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-258.jpg  

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-259.jpg  

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-260.jpg  

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-262.jpg  

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-263.jpg  

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-267.jpg  

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-1-264.jpg  

Attached Images

mandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2009, 15:56   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandip View Post
Hi,

Now what I would need sooner or later is to find some old time mechanic who can get the firing sequence on the 6 cylinder engine.
That's a nice car you've got in the family, Mandip. The firing order for your Chevy should be 1-5-3-6-2-4, i.e. cylinder 1, then 5 and so on till the 4th cylinder, which'll fire last before the new cycle begins with no. 1 again. The sequence will move in a clockwise direction, but you may still unclip the distributor cap and ascertain from the movement of the rotor that it is indeed so! Barring a few cars where the first cylinder is counted from the bell-housing (clutch) side, in most cases (of inline engines as yours) the first begins from the radiator side, i.e. the front of the car. There're a few quaint cars that have their radiators near the firewall, some have gearboxes in the front (like in the Citroen TA) and I haven't even started talking about the rear engined horrors. But, you take your first cylinder from the radiator.

Of course, you have to get piston number 1 to TDC (Top Dead Centre) and adjust the distributor accordingly to get the first cylinder HT lead from the distributor, etc. so if you're not clued in on such stuff, you might still need that old time mechanic in your city. I'm too old to travel now.
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2009, 16:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mandeep where in bombay are you placed. maybe i could be of help if you would consider me an old time mechanic of sorts. (now that Prabal has kindly declined to come and has also given the firing sequence for the cylinders) On the other hand i could recommend one of my guys (those who maintain my car) to come and look at the car
Old 3rd March 2009, 16:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi Mandeep where in bombay are you placed. maybe i could be of help if you would consider me an old time mechanic of sorts. (now that Prabal has kindly declined to come and has also given the firing sequence for the cylinders) On the other hand i could recommend one of my guys (those who maintain my car) to come and look at the car
Thanks for the offer and Prabal for his valuable inputs which would be very beneficial. I am thrilled to have met you'll here.

I am in Bandra and the car is in Dharwad, North karnataka. We would be bring it to Mumbai soon to start the 2nd phase of the resortation.
Presently just getting the basics prior to having it put on a truck
to Mumbai.
I am travelling and will be in Mumbai around the first week of April.
Old 22nd March 2009, 19:42   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the offer and Prabal for his valuable inputs which would be very beneficial. I am thrilled to have met you'll here.

I am in Bandra and the car is in Dharwad, North karnataka. We would be bring it to Mumbai soon to start the 2nd phase of the resortation.
Presently just getting the basics prior to having it put on a truck
to Mumbai.
I am travelling and will be in Mumbai around the first week of April.
Hai mandeep I own The same Model STYLINE DELUXE my mech is mr. Kannan he is an old man and very good at old cars ,if your intrested i will give you his contact 080 22222289 but speak to him only, not anybody else in his garage
Old 20th May 2009, 19:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Any one guess how much is this Chevrolet worth for ? I'm following up with the person who said this car is for sale. Hence my visit to check the car returned the output pictures here, I will soon post further information on the developments of this deal.

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image032.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image031.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image033.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image034.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image035.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image036.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image037.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image038.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image039.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image040.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image041.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image042.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image043.jpg

Restoration of Chevrolet 1951-image044.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 20th May 2009 at 20:10.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:11   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Any one guess how much is this Chevrolet worth for ? I'm following up with the person who said this car is for sale. Hence my visit to check the car returned the output pictures here, I will soon post further information on the developments of this deal.

Attachment 138043

Attachment 138044

Attachment 138045

Attachment 138046

Attachment 138047

Attachment 138048

Attachment 138049

Attachment 138050

Attachment 138051

Attachment 138052

trammway, Good bodyline. Its got a diesel engine. If it does not have the original 6cyl petrol engine, then the value most definitely comes down. You may perhaps ascertain if the original petrol engine is available with the owner.

Last edited by Dussey : 20th May 2009 at 20:15. Reason: modification in the reply.
Old 20th May 2009, 20:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
trammway, Good bodyline. Looks like its a diesel as we can see the heater in the dash. If it does not have the original 6cyl petrol engine, then the value most definitely comes down.

You got it right, it is dieselized car and the engine and diesel filter on the firwall shows the motor is changed on this car.
Old 21st May 2009, 13:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Also one can see the glow plug on the dashboard. Many a times the petrol engine is retrieved from the owner. Find out, he may just have the engine lying around somewhere.
Old 21st May 2009, 14:33   #10
BHPian

that seems like a matador engine, the exact same car is going thru a full fledged restoration job here in bangalore.
Old 21st May 2009, 15:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

well except for the engine the car looks like she is in good shape, there may be chevy engines lying around in big metro chor bazaars you just have to look.
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:49   #12
BHPian

Nice car,Thanks for your family for preserving this car upto date. I know one mechanic who I think must have fixed about 100 such cars in last 5 years,and he is also reliable.He is also wellknown among this circle.

Quote:
Hi,

It was resorted in early 90's but due to some impulsive decisions by the family it was jacked up and standing in the air for 14 years.
In the last 18 years, I presume the car has not been driven more then 500kms.

There is some tinning work and the chrome plating to be done. The upholstry will be done once I can get her to be in shape mechanically.

I am looking for the original badges, wheel caps, working clock, break lights (presently using ambassdor lights) etc.

So far, step by step mechanically she is shaping up. Worked on the fuel tank, wiring harness, alternator, radiator, fuel pump etc. Now what I would need sooner or later is to find some old time mechanic who can get the firing sequence on the 6 cylinder engine.

All suggestions and inputs are appreciated and most welcome.
Old 25th May 2009, 05:49   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Well, some good news, there is an engine for sale in Mumbai. It was bought for a Fleetmaster, turned out to be a 1951 engine. The starter is on the other side. PM me and I will put you in touch.
Value of the car, well I would pay upto 1.5L, some may pay more and some will offer less. So shop around and get the best deal.

Good luck harit
Old 25th May 2009, 09:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, some good news, there is an engine for sale in Mumbai. It was bought for a Fleetmaster, turned out to be a 1951 engine. The starter is on the other side. PM me and I will put you in touch.
Value of the car, well I would pay upto 1.5L, some may pay more and some will offer less. So shop around and get the best deal.

Good luck harit
Wow.. thats a great thing to know. I'm still trying to get in touch with the seller. I will IM you after talking to the vendor.
Old 16th June 2009, 11:41   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Good luck harit
BTW, the engine for this 1951 Chevy is still available, so far no one has asked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks