Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2009, 10:58   #16
BHPian

Yes Trammway, the engine cranks. Checked that. And in fact, not sure whether this guy was genuinely ignorant or otherwise, but I too told him the badge should have been Enfield and not Royal Enfield. He insisted this is one of the early models which came with Royal Enfield. Also, another thing was about the Crusader badge, the bike currently has a brass like plate with "Enfield" printed on it (not even embossed), where he said this was how it came and something unique, when I pointed out it must be "Crusader". And funnily, he even believes that this model came with the silencer on the left side since the exhaust port is on the left side of the engine block. Tried to tell him it goes around towards the right, but he said it was unique to this model. Also, did you notice those side lamps next to the headlamp? I believe Crusaders never came with such lights, but this add-on, even if it is one, looks like an old add-on because the overall quality of the mounts etc are well integrated and of good quality. Lenses are missing though.

I know a little about Crusader because we had one in our family for almost 3 decades from 70's to early 2000's. It was with my cousin, and apparently he left it with a mechanic for service and when he went back the mechanic had shifted the shop or some such thing. So, have been looking out to replace that.

Btw, whats your take on the gearbox part if required? And also other parts like condenser, carb parts etc. Do you have any idea of where I can find these?
Old 23rd February 2010, 09:27   #17

Hi Trammway,
is the bike still available for sale? Please let me know...
Thanks & Regards,
Shashi
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_hillman View Post
Yes Trammway, the engine cranks. Checked that. And in fact, not sure whether this guy was genuinely ignorant or otherwise, but I too told him the badge should have been Enfield and not Royal Enfield. He insisted this is one of the early models which came with Royal Enfield. Also, another thing was about the Crusader badge, the bike currently has a brass like plate with "Enfield" printed on it (not even embossed), where he said this was how it came and something unique, when I pointed out it must be "Crusader". And funnily, he even believes that this model came with the silencer on the left side since the exhaust port is on the left side of the engine block. Tried to tell him it goes around towards the right, but he said it was unique to this model. Also, did you notice those side lamps next to the headlamp? I believe Crusaders never came with such lights, but this add-on, even if it is one, looks like an old add-on because the overall quality of the mounts etc are well integrated and of good quality. Lenses are missing though.

I know a little about Crusader because we had one in our family for almost 3 decades from 70's to early 2000's. It was with my cousin, and apparently he left it with a mechanic for service and when he went back the mechanic had shifted the shop or some such thing. So, have been looking out to replace that.

Btw, whats your take on the gearbox part if required? And also other parts like condenser, carb parts etc. Do you have any idea of where I can find these?

The side lamps are mods to fix the turn light indicators (remember the similar mods in JAWA bike), side badge with a brass plate and tank with the Royal enfield would have happened during the repaint work (this bike is wearing not the original paint now). Forget what the seller says, the exhaust port etc., you can verify with other bikes posted in this thread.

The most difficult parts to source are the silencers and side cover badge, I sourced a villiers carb for Rs.950 and still available with me (as extra), and once in a while the engines (including crank, gear and cyclinder head) come for sale around 3-5K budget.

There are still few new items available in the market such as condensers, coils, sprocket and few gears.

@dharan2786

Sorry dude .. you missed the bus. Will let you know if any comes for sale.
Old 24th March 2010, 21:23   #19

Hi trammway, any idea if the crusader is still available for sale
Old 2nd April 2011, 15:44   #20
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Crusader 175cc Villers

Came across this Article about a beautifully restored piece. Crusader is for sure one of the nicest looking machines of the period. pic from that article.

Royal Enfield Crusader 175cc Villers-2010122250310301.jpg
Rennjit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks