Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 19:17   #16
Senior - BHPian

Guys.

I'm sorry to say but I was mistaken about the POI car being a Landaulette.

It was actually a Pullman and if I am not mistaken it has to be the car spotted in Pune.

The landaulette I was confusing this car with was actually the Pope's car.
Old 21st April 2009, 19:31   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys.

I'm sorry to say but I was mistaken about the POI car being a Landaulette.

It was actually a Pullman and if I am not mistaken it has to be the car spotted in Pune.

The landaulette I was confusing this car with was actually the Pope's car.
Am glad that's settled.

Which Pope's car do you refer to? In India he had a Lincoln Continental convertible which survives in remarkable preservation.
Old 21st April 2009, 20:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Am glad that's settled.

Which Pope's car do you refer to? In India he had a Lincoln Continental convertible which survives in remarkable preservation.
Now give me a break will you. Its the Papal car in Rome that I was talking about.

Had heard to the Papal connection with respect to a bunch of cars in India but nobody could coroborate this.

There was also a Sarojini Naidu Opel in Hyderabad.

BTW any idea what came of the RR's that Rajneesh was supposed to have had before he left India.
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:54   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Now give me a break will you. Its the Papal car in Rome that I was talking about.

Had heard to the Papal connection with respect to a bunch of cars in India but nobody could coroborate this.

There was also a Sarojini Naidu Opel in Hyderabad.

BTW any idea what came of the RR's that Rajneesh was supposed to have had before he left India.
The 63 Lincoln Continental convertible with power top, windows etc was imported for His Holiness for the Eucharistic Congress in India. He donated it to Mother Teresa, she auctioned it and it went through many hands - actors, industrialists etc. In the late 70s/early 80s Ramesh Thakker bought it for 15,000 rupees - then spent the same amount to get a new windscreen imported. The car was with him till last year, dont know if he still has it. It was in original paint (maybe touched up), leather etc. Registration is MMF 5553 I think. Pics are on the forum.

The Sarojini Naidu Opel is now in Pune, with round headlights fitted instead of the trademark hexagonal (?) units.

I dont know if Rajneesh had Rolls in India. He did have 84 at one time in Oregon.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:05   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The 63 Lincoln Continental convertible with power top, windows etc was imported for His Holiness for the Eucharistic Congress in India. He donated it to Mother Teresa, she auctioned it and it went through many hands - actors, industrialists etc. In the late 70s/early 80s Ramesh Thakker bought it for 15,000 rupees - then spent the same amount to get a new windscreen imported. The car was with him till last year, dont know if he still has it. It was in original paint (maybe touched up), leather etc. Registration is MMF 5553 I think. Pics are on the forum.
Here is the Lincoln I mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz 600 (6dr) Spotted in Pune !-lincoln02ba2.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Some nice cars visible in the background. Whose collection is this.

Very professional oil pan also to be see under the Lincoln.
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

The POI car WAS a Pullman and not a Landaulet. It was sold/autioned by the GOI and Bought by senior Bagla. Sold then to Ponnawalas. This was in the '80s. I had personally gone and seen the car at the basement of Hyatt at Delhi where Bagla then stored his cars.
Old 22nd April 2009, 12:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

Just one question. why would the president use a Landaulette?? won't security be a problem in it??
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Sarojini Naidu Opel is now in Pune, with round headlights fitted instead of the trademark hexagonal (?) units.

I dont know if Rajneesh had Rolls in India. He did have 84 at one time in Oregon.
All the Rolls's were auctioned off in US, but one white stretch Silver Spur/Spirit did come to Pune. They also had a 116 450 which they bought from STC Delhi outbidding AB. They also had a 114/115 stretch in cream colour.

Last edited by harit : 22nd April 2009 at 13:15.
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:30   #25
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT - For further clarity, here are pictures of the Poonawalla's 600 entered by them in a 1993 event in Poona, courtesy TractionAvant. The flag pole and pilot light on roof are present on the car pictured by Praveen, I am pretty sure they are the same.
This much I can guarantee-

1) These pictures were taken by me at a rally in 1993. (the year of the rally was researched by Karl, I believe. I do not remember the date very well.)
3) It was owned by the Poonawalas who had purchased it a few months before the rally. (reportedly for 10 lacs!!!!)
2) The car in the pictures is the ex-presidential 600. (unless, of course, the Poonawalas were lying )

Aditya

Last edited by TractionAvant : 22nd April 2009 at 13:32.
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Ahem, has it ever occurred to anyone that this could be the third W100 in India, probably a recent import? Because the ex-presidential car was a Landaulet, should look like the picture below. If this is indeed the case then wow! As the car is moving on open roads, was it necessary to cover the number plate? Just asking because that will help for identification.
I too feel its definitely a Diplomatic car because of the Flag Posts et al. near the fenders. Normally the 600 pics i have seen didn't have these. I can PM you the registration number of the car if you want but i was just under the impression we arent allowed to post pics of cars where the registration number is visible, so i managed to smudge to the numbers wherever i could.

There was a gentleman and his 10 year old boy, and yes they distinctly looked parsi. (If this sounds like a racist remark please forgive me)
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby View Post
the car looks beautiful and also in a good condition. link below has some more pics of the car.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...years-old.html (Pics of Pune vintage rally, 10+ years old)
Yes this is the same car. I confirmed from the registration number.
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:55   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
It was owned by the Poonawalas who had purchased it a few months before the rally. (reportedly for 10 lacs!!!!)
I believe the figure is 36 lakhs, subject to correction.

Harit, a light ivory 114/5 stetch is used regularly by the Poonawallas. Very elegant looking car. MMG regd.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 22nd April 2009 at 13:56.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Harit, a light ivory 114/5 stetch is used regularly by the Poonawallas. Very elegant looking car. MMG regd.
Kirloskars had a stretch 114/115 in the '80s cream colour. Was on sale at that time, should be the one you are talking about.
Old 22nd April 2009, 14:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:

I remember the 10 lakhs figure from the times article. Of course, it was 16 years ago so I could be mistaken.

Aditya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks