Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:05   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Some nice cars visible in the background. Whose collection is this.

Very professional oil pan also to be see under the Lincoln.
This is Ramesh Thakker's basement in Pune. Some great cars have passed through the collection, inculding RJB 9, the famous Banswada Rolls. Many have been sold though. The basement setup is a dream, beautifully presented.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...seum-pune.html
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

Do tell more about the cars there, RJB 9 and the Pierce Arrow.

Who was the first owner of the Pierce,
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:37   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do tell more about the cars there, RJB 9 and the Pierce Arrow.

Who was the first owner of the Pierce,
RJB is the 20hp you must be familiar with, present at Cartier too. Ex Banswada, supposedly covered 429 miles when found. It is now with H Cama. The Pierce Arrow was acquired from Pune itself, I dont know any previous history. Trials of the car have been conducted (I heard it running), paint and cosmetics await.
Old 22nd April 2009, 15:52   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Ahem,
has it ever occurred to anyone that this could be the third W100 in India, probably a recent import? Because the ex-presidential car was a Landaulet, should look like the picture below. If this is indeed the case then wow!

Cheers to another W100!!!
I remember V.V, Giri getting of a huge convertible Mercedes. I cannot say if it were a 600 or a 300 Adenauer. I dont know if the president had an Adenauer. I was too young to know the type of Mercedes but even back then i knew it was indeed a Mercedes.
The poonawala car is definitely the POI's car bought for a princely sum of Rs. 31 lakh. It was HHUGGGE money i those days.
Maybe if we can verify the plates of this poona car, as the poonawalla car is registered as MH-12 something if i remember right .

Quote:
Guys.

The car pictured in Pune is the Iranian Consulate car.
No Wasif, the Pune car is not the Iranian consulate car. As Harit pointed out the Ex Iran car in in a private collection and is a non runner. No question of it being on road.

Quote:
This was a long time ago, when I was in school, don't remember if it was a 6 Door or not.
The president did have a six door but maybe he had two, a six door 600 and a 300 Adenauer.
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:10   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I remember V.V, Giri getting of a huge convertible Mercedes. I cannot say if it were a 600 or a 300 Adenauer. I dont know if the president had an Adenauer. I was too young to know the type of Mercedes but even back then i knew it was indeed a Mercedes.
I think Bhogilal has an Adenauer with a Presidential connection, or I remember you mentioning such.
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:15   #36
Senior - BHPian

Amazing looking machine. Was the W100 also reviewed on one of the TopGear Shows? It boasted of high end comforts, which included a switch operated boot to open and close. Pretty neat for this grand old lady.
Old 22nd April 2009, 16:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

V16 the convertible you are talking about was also there till the Gyani Jailsingh era it was black and the 300 Adenauer type I will find pics and post she had white wall tyres and a cab type folded roof with doors having window pillars I recall she was actioned for some 10 or 20 lacs in the 80's

Last edited by canonball : 22nd April 2009 at 16:58.
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:47   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
V16 the convertible you are talking about was also there till the Gyani Jailsingh era it was black and the 300 Adenauer type I will find pics and post she had white wall tyres and a cab type folded roof with doors having window pillars I recall she was actioned for some 10 or 20 lacs in the 80's
And is probably the one picked up by Mallya. Can someone check?

Cheers
harit
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:57   #39
BHPian

A real classic.

Its a genuine luxury & prestige car.
Old 23rd April 2009, 16:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

It is indeed a very rare car !
Old 13th May 2009, 11:32   #41
BHPian

Very Interesting see that there were only 3 600's in India. The Shah of course had several and all are now on Display in the motor Museum in Tehran ( formely the storage yard for all the ex shah cars which were seized by the Ayatolla's people) .
The Short wheel base car should be at least preserved if funds are not there for restoration . A friend who has had his 600 SWB for over 20 years says they are a $200,000 car. Buy one for $20,000 and it will cost $180,000 to get back on the road...
The Landaus are incredibly rare . The only right hand drive one was sold to Mr Bob Jane in Australia and is now owned by transport magnate Lyn Fox.
But the 6 door Pullman is also rare because it is appears to be ONE of FOUR only without the divider between the driver and their lordships in the back.
i have a friend who is over 6 foot tall and he cannot drive his Pullman easily because the divider eats up all the space in front.
if anyone can get the chassis numbers or the contact details of any of the owners ,our club,the m-100 Group would like them for our registry. So far out of 2500+ 600's built (not many eh ?) there have been 400 accounted for.
Please PM if you can help.
Old 26th May 2009, 01:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
Very Interesting see that there were only 3 600's in India. The Shah of course had several and all are now on Display in the motor Museum in Tehran ( formely the storage yard for all the ex shah cars which were seized by the Ayatolla's people) .
The Short wheel base car should be at least preserved if funds are not there for restoration . A friend who has had his 600 SWB for over 20 years says they are a $200,000 car. Buy one for $20,000 and it will cost $180,000 to get back on the road...
Please PM if you can help.

Dear Star man,
In an earlier post I made a mix-up, so far only 2 W100 Merc's in India.
The SWB is not stuck for funds, some parts have also arrived, hopefully the project will take off sometime. The chassis no I will PM you in about 2 weeks.

Cheer harit
Old 26th May 2009, 02:30   #43
BHPian

the 600 Pullman six door is indeed the presidential car,which was NOT a landau-let, i know because i had a (very) short ride in it in the early eighties. the other 600 is the LHD SWB,ex Iran car which sold for 1303000, from the STC, 3000 more than my bid, the 10 lakh presidential Mercedes which made the headlines was a 300 cabriolet, which was around till the mid nineties, i don't know the whereabouts now.
i was once getting a 600 swb and a Lincoln coupe for a song, but the cars were in Hong-Kong, and it was too much trouble getting them into India, i understand both were ultimately scrapped.

Last edited by awini : 26th May 2009 at 02:43.
Old 26th May 2009, 04:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

There was also a 2 door version built called the 600 Nallinger.
Very stately car with hydraulic everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz 600 (6dr) Spotted in Pune !-mercedesbenz2060020cabriolet205bnallinger5d.jpg  

Old 26th May 2009, 10:25   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
This much I can guarantee-

1) These pictures were taken by me at a rally in 1993. (the year of the rally was researched by Karl, I believe. I do not remember the date very well.)
3) It was owned by the Poonawalas who had purchased it a few months before the rally. (reportedly for 10 lacs!!!!)
2) The car in the pictures is the ex-presidential 600. (unless, of course, the Poonawalas were lying )

Aditya
Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
the 600 Pullman six door is indeed the presidential car,which was NOT a landau-let, i know because i had a (very) short ride in it in the early eighties. the other 600 is the LHD SWB,ex Iran car which sold for 1303000, from the STC, 3000 more than my bid, the 10 lakh presidential Mercedes which made the headlines was a 300 cabriolet, which was around till the mid nineties, i don't know the whereabouts now.
i was once getting a 600 swb and a Lincoln coupe for a song, but the cars were in Hong-Kong, and it was too much trouble getting them into India, i understand both were ultimately scrapped.
So, am I mixing up details of two different cars?

Aditya

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks