Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 13:52   #61
BHPian

Numbers of surviving 600's so far.

The club I'm a member of has a registry of the 600's we have managed to locate throughout the world. And there are some interesting examples out of the 2500 built . This is a list of the Numbers produced in each year and the number of VIN located ,and how many pictures we have of them.. So if anyone has an address for the owners of the 600's in India we would very much like to contact them .

.year------prod----Vin----Pict
1963--------3-------3------3
1964------107------32-----20
1965------408-----112-----72
1966------323------61-----40
1967------159------52-----46
1968------223------66-----46
1969------336-----105-----79
1970------236------62-----46
1971------237------72-----59
1972------210------59-----44
1973-------82------12-----10
1974-------52------10------8
1975-------42-------5------4
1976-------47-------3------3
1977-------55-------5------4
1978-------40-------7------5
1979-------53-------7------6
1980-------44-------5------4
1981-------20-------4------3
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:21   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Ok could anyone upload any pictures of the engine of any of the two cars.
Here are couple of M-100 engines such as you find in a 600.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz 600 (6dr) Spotted in Pune !-5810-8.3.08-14.jpg  

Mercedes Benz 600 (6dr) Spotted in Pune !-wishfulthinking.jpg  

Star man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:48   #63
Senior - BHPian

This months mercedes benz magazine, has a feature on the famous German Government 600 landaulet, however at almost 700RS i did not pick it up. BTW it was at the Landmark next to Dorabjee in Pune. So if someone feels rich please pick it up

Last edited by the mole : 3rd August 2009 at 21:49.
Old 7th August 2009, 21:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This months mercedes benz magazine, has a feature on the famous German Government 600 landaulet, however at almost 700RS i did not pick it up. BTW it was at the Landmark next to Dorabjee in Pune. So if someone feels rich please pick it up
Spotted this very beautiful 600 Mercedes in a place called Baden Baden in Germany last year. It was extremely well maintained and the colour looked very pretty on this model.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Full page photo print.pdf (2.73 MB, 592 views)
File Type: pdf 600.pdf (1.42 MB, 448 views)

Last edited by 67Bug : 7th August 2009 at 21:15.
Old 10th August 2009, 15:23   #65
BHPian

Nice looking 600!, No doubt paul has that one in his archive already.
Old 10th August 2009, 18:51   #66
Senior - BHPian

Hello Starman.
Since you know a lot about these 600 Mercs, I was wondering if you have any tips on how to move a dead Merc 600. The suspension is hydraulic, so when the car is dead, it squats down. If one does not know what is going on, one would think that the suspension has collapsed. Is there a way to move such a car without the engine running?

Cheers harit
Old 11th August 2009, 10:14   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hello Starman.
Since you know a lot about these 600 Mercs, I was wondering if you have any tips on how to move a dead Merc 600. The suspension is hydraulic, so when the car is dead, it squats down. If one does not know what is going on, one would think that the suspension has collapsed. Is there a way to move such a car without the engine running?

Cheers harit
Looks like you are on your way to another acquisition and if my guess is correct it is a 600 on this instance
Old 11th August 2009, 12:07   #68
Senior - BHPian

Harit is she moving from where she is at now? Anoop and I have been meaning to go drive up there and take a look on of these days.

67bug more like it was always his!!

Harit I beleive you can't move it without starting it once first and locking the suspension to be able to move it. I think once locked there is no issue if th engine is running or not. I am sure there may also be a mechanical valve/inlet somewhere which can be used to mannually raise her this just my instinct, I hope I have not pre-empted what starman should be answering! Let me know and i will remove this before he comes online.

Last edited by canonball : 11th August 2009 at 12:17.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:16   #69
BHPian

The President of India's limousine, which was usually used for foreign heads of State, if memory serves me right, was not a Landaulet. This 600 was acquired in the early seventies when V.V. Giri was the President. I remember having seen the car on many occasions, as I was a student in Delhi then. The car was used for the ceremonial procession that brought the foreign head of State who was the guest for each Republic Day, to the venue on Rajpath. Till the late seventies, if I remember right, the ceremonial horse drawn coach was used after which the 600 Merc was used. The top was never down and I clearly remember it to be a hard metal top. There was another Mercedes car of the early fifties, which was also in the President's garage. This car was a convertible, and was sold at around the same time that the 600 was sold. Here are two photos of the current Mercedes limousine used for foreign heads of State - these photos were taken in 2006.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes Benz 600 (6dr) Spotted in Pune !-zzj_img_0333.jpg  

Mercedes Benz 600 (6dr) Spotted in Pune !-zzj_img_0336.jpg  

tonrag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2009, 13:10   #70
Team-BHP Support

Had to dig these up. Pics of the Poonawala's car.

Taken about 12-15 years back.

Name:  IMG_1270 copy copy.jpg
Views: 1469
Size:  134.0 KB

Mercedes Benz 600 (6dr) Spotted in Pune !-img_1271-copy-copy.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th August 2009 at 18:57. Reason: Incorrect dashboard pic as pointed out by canonball moved to the Mercs in India thread.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2009, 13:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Harit is she moving from where she is at now? Anoop and I have been meaning to go drive up there and take a look on of these days.

67bug more like it was always his!!

Harit I beleive you can't move it without starting it once first and locking the suspension to be able to move it. I think once locked there is no issue if th engine is running or not. I am sure there may also be a mechanical valve/inlet somewhere which can be used to mannually raise her this just my instinct, I hope I have not pre-empted what starman should be answering! Let me know and i will remove this before he comes online.
That Merc will not move and I cannot afford a car THAT expensive.
I was wondering because this suspension was also seen on a black W108 350 in Mumbai which had also sat down. That car travelled a lot, I had seen her at Uniyed Motors in Govandi when they had a workshop over there, and later at the Mill in Worli. Finally they moved the car to Chennai. Since that engine was not up, I wonder how did they move that car. I cannot imagine that Mercedes would have such a "primitive" design that you cannot move a car if the engine dies.
This was for general knowledge.
If I had bought the car I would have hired a crane with a long reach.
Old 11th August 2009, 17:09   #72
Senior - BHPian

Was it not the 300SEL w108 with 6.3 badging on trunk which had air only but not 350? I did not know one existed in india?

I am very sure MB would have given an external valve somewhere to pump in air maybe directly on the bellow's ! Or you just detach the current plumbing assuming the same are screwed on or snapped on! attach 4 pipes to 4 corners converging into one which is attached to compresor! sounds long winded but what do you do once she is lifted there must be a lock somewhere.

Hey if she had a compressor or some storage tank for the air somewhere you just pump the tank which will definately have an additional external inlet/outlet valve on the body of the tank or even the main can be filled sound simple?

Last edited by canonball : 11th August 2009 at 17:14.
Old 17th August 2009, 13:03   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Starman.

Cheers harit
Harit uncle the car you talk off has come to our place for restoration.
Old 17th August 2009, 14:07   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Hello Starman.

Cheers harit
Harit,you cannot move a 600 without air.
Under the bonnet on the left side you will see the main airvalve( on the inner wing to the rear of the air compressor) which controls the height when the engine is running . Forward of that is brake pressure regualtor.
Close to that is a schrader valve . you connect a compressed air supply to that and because you need at least 200PSI an ordinary portable compressor won't work. You need to hire a large compressor capable of at least 250 PSI.If in doubt,disconnect the braided steel discharge line from the aircompressor and connect your supply to that.
.As long as the suspension is reasonbly OK,the car should stay up long enough to shift it. I usualy connect a hose to them so they can be moved around the shop. You cannot steer them when they are down and they weigh 3 tons ...
A warning: the brakes are Air assisted ,not vacuum as on an ordinary car and you need both the car to pumped up and the suspension raised to get the brakes to work.
The handbrake works via foot pedal and is released when the car is placed into Drive.
As there were only 2500 600 's built you are joining a very exclusive club and will need all the help you can find,which is why I recommend you join our group which is affiliated to Mercedes benz.
our website is The International M-100 Group and all questions regarding running one these beauties are encouraged.

M-100 being the engine type.
Do you have the chassis number?
In the meantime heres a movie..
Old 17th August 2009, 14:32   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Was it not the 300SEL w108 with 6.3 badging on trunk which had air only but not 350? I did not know one existed in india?

I am very sure MB would have given an external valve somewhere to pump in air maybe directly on the bellow's ! Or you just detach the current plumbing assuming the same are screwed on or snapped on! attach 4 pipes to 4 corners converging into one which is attached to compresor! sounds long winded but what do you do once she is lifted there must be a lock somewhere.

Hey if she had a compressor or some storage tank for the air somewhere you just pump the tank which will definately have an additional external inlet/outlet valve on the body of the tank or even the main can be filled sound simple?
The Merc with the air suspension is the W109 ,all long wheel base 300 SEL's.
You can tell them instantly by the extra chrome around thew windows.
There were four versions, all 300 SELs but with [i] .the 3.0 liter m198 six,[ii] the m116 3.5 liter V8 [iii] the American only 4.5 liter V8 and the 6.3 liter V8.
The First merc to have air suspension were W112 300SE and SE long. There were only 14 right hand drive W112 300SE long cars built ,again they have the extra chrome around the doors and are the most attractive of the fintails.
All have the air reservoir under the left front mudguard .There is a schrader valve about 1/2 way up the tank where you can pump up the car if they go down and need to be moved. A properly equipped 300 will have a set of emergency buffers in the boot that you use to get the car to a garage if a fualt happens. And a properly maintained one never goes down..
The air suspension is the best idea they ever had and gives a fantastic ride ,a reason why the latest mercs and the Maybach have it.
There was only ever one W108 built with Air suspension and it belongs to a friend of mine in Germany. It's a 250S his grandfather ordered new. it has every option possible and he didn't want the tax expense of a V8 so he pulled some strings and had a special car built .
my favorite 300SEL 3.5 ( I have owned several) was sold in new n Papua New Guinea ,so I would imagine that some may have been sold in India.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks