Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2009, 23:04   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Whats a venturi? (My knowledge is a little limited and is growing day by day....THANKS TBHP!!!) or in simple terms...What should I ask my mechanic to ensure I have the right venturi?

I did have a little starting trouble with the S1 (only cold) when I just got it home. I had to try to start 6-7 times. Then once it started, i had to very slowly accelerate (if not it would switch off) for a while.Then it used to run fine. It used to start fine once warm. I hope my mechanic has taken care of this. If it re-occurs, what needs to be checked?

Ideally, with the 102.5, how much should be the mileage in city and highway under normal driving conditions?
Sorry the venturi is 32-23 (& not 23-25)

Remove the aircleaner and look down in the carburetor. You would see two concentric pipe like structures(Outer one is the primary venturi and the inner one is the auxiliary venturi) With the air correction jet & emulsion tube (below it ) in the emulsion tube niche'. I with an I am 99 % sure that your carb has a 23-32 venturi (23 is the diameter of the primary venturi in mm and 32 is the carb size) since I have never come across any Bicsa vennturi apart from 32-23 in the past) The venturi size would be written on the primary venturi.

With a 102.5 mainjet in a Bicsa, you should easily get around 13 kmpl (under sober driving conditions & practices)

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 21st September 2009 at 23:06.
Old 22nd September 2009, 03:54   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Sorry the venturi is 32-23 (& not 23-25)

Remove the aircleaner and look down in the carburetor. You would see two concentric pipe like structures(Outer one is the primary venturi and the inner one is the auxiliary venturi) With the air correction jet & emulsion tube (below it ) in the emulsion tube niche'. I with an I am 99 % sure that your carb has a 23-32 venturi (23 is the diameter of the primary venturi in mm and 32 is the carb size) since I have never come across any Bicsa vennturi apart from 32-23 in the past) The venturi size would be written on the primary venturi.

With a 102.5 mainjet in a Bicsa, you should easily get around 13 kmpl (under sober driving conditions & practices)

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Thanks Adheesh for the information....

I will have my mechanic check these and ensure I got the correct one. Apart from this work, the spring bushes needs replacement and will be done in the morning and probably a re-cam also. Once this is done, my mechanic will check the brakes thoroughly. By evening, my S1 should be home. Will try and go for a 20-30km drive if time permits.

I will keep keep you updated on how things go.

I also had couple other questions:
1) The low fuel light and engine hot light on the speedo light up just after 0.5 kms of driving even though the engine is not heated up and also the fuel level is well past the red marking. Why would this happen? Does a electrician need to look into this?
2) Whats the ideal temperature reading you should see in a S1 (since its different from older padminis). For e.g, on my 118 NE, if I drive 5-6kms, the temperature would be right at the half way mark or sometims, very little over it. For a similar drive on a S1, how much should it be?
3) I have never seen the clock on the Speedo work on a S1 or a 118 NE. How good is it? How is it powered?
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:20   #333
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have a soft copy of a user/service manuals of a S1 with floor gear. If yes, please send it to me at karthik.makam@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:36   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karthik - please post some engine compartment / carburettor pictures of your 118NE to enable me to comment further. Also in your S1, the axle oil should be SAE90EP (extreme pressure) and not SAE140. Please change it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:04   #335
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Karthik - please post some engine compartment / carburettor pictures of your 118NE to enable me to comment further. Also in your S1, the axle oil should be SAE90EP (extreme pressure) and not SAE140. Please change it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dhabhar sir,
Am waiting for my PM's reply on S1 exhaust manifold for my Padmini.
Please comment on my queries sir because i want to go in for it.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:30   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
Dhabhar sir,
Am waiting for my PM's reply on S1 exhaust manifold for my Padmini.
Please comment on my queries sir because i want to go in for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
@ Behram sir:
My camera has some problems and will be rectified by evening. I will take some pics tomorrow. Also, I will change the axle oil today to SAE90EP

I am curious of one more thing....Can I have the radiator and thermostat fan and the coolant tank of an S1 and install it on my NE? Would it give me the additional power like how S1 has over the older Padminis?

@ Sujith1100:
I have heard that finding of the S1 exhaust manifold is a difficult thing in scrap market. Do check out the availability after Behram sir's reply.

Last edited by funkykar : 22nd September 2009 at 11:32. Reason: Had forgotten to add a note to Sujith1100
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:39   #337
BHPian

Quote:
@ Sujith1100:
I have heard that finding of the S1 exhaust manifold is a difficult thing in scrap market. Do check out the availability after Behram sir's reply.
The S1 exhaust manifold is very easily available here in Mumbai. Also please note that you would require the S1 front exhaust pipe (2x1) which would connect your manifold to the silencer (which would again be different in S1) and a S1 tail pipe. Normal Padmini exhaust is 1.5 inches while the S1 exhaust is 1.75 inches ID.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:51   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Today me, Funkykar and Karthik1100 were on a Fiat Find Drive. Found some really interesting Fiats in Jayanagar (Biggest residential area in Asia!). Many pics coming soon.

First found one '37 model-Doctor owned '97 Model-S1 for Sale. Stunning condition- 28000 kms driven, recently re-painted, absolutely no rusts as always parked in covered parking. This S1 is his fifth Fiat starting with a Millecento. He is quoting One Lakh for it!! May be he not really willing to sell, so he is quoting that high as many people are forcing him to sell his car.
it's a very very well maintained padmini. i maintain my car very well but not this well. :-)
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:51   #339
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
The S1 exhaust manifold is very easily available here in Mumbai. Also please note that you would require the S1 front exhaust pipe (2x1) which would connect your manifold to the silencer (which would again be different in S1) and a S1 tail pipe. Normal Padmini exhaust is 1.5 inches while the S1 exhaust is 1.75 inches ID.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
I will try getting the S1 exhaust assembly in Bangalore, if not then will require help of the Bombay Fiatians.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:20   #340
Senior - BHPian

Two brand new S1 Carburettors' are available for Sale in Bangalore. Are they easily available in Mumbai?
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:01   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Two brand new S1 Carburettors' are available for Sale in Bangalore. Are they easily available in Mumbai?
Yes, under my bed
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:44   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Yes, under my bed
IS the one under your bed for sale ? I would pick it up the next moment
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:15   #343
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have a soft copy of a user/service manuals of a S1 with floor gear. If yes, please send it to me at karthik.makam@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

Does anybody have it?
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:56   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will try getting the S1 exhaust assembly in Bangalore, if not then will require help of the Bombay Fiatians.
If I recollect myself and Arun saw a S1 exhaust manifold in gujari
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:07   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I recollect myself and Arun saw a S1 exhaust manifold in gujari .

As for the Electric Fan of S1 in 118 NE, sure the Fan Kilowatt used will add to the engine power i.e. the power used in rotating the fan will now add up to engine power, and if it is thermostat controlled it will be better.

Most Viewed