Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2009, 07:35   #736
Senior - BHPian

Our club member Jatin, who already owns tens of classic Fiats, bought a Original 1969 model Fiat 124. Initially Kerala registered later transfered to Karnataka.

Few original bits like horn button/cover, side indicators, wheel caps etc are miissing.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc01097.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc01098.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc01099.jpg  

Last edited by arun1100 : 24th December 2009 at 07:38.
arun1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2009, 11:57   #737
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I am clarifying once again, there was never any "BU". If you have seen a badge, it is not original. Floor shift gear cars were just "Deluxe" with an "e". There was never any "Delux". If you have seen such a badge, either it is not original or it is broken or it is purposely cut. There was never any "Executive" also. You will never get to see the original tracings as they would have disappeared now, but I can proudly state that my signature was there on most of the drawings in the row of "appending engineer" with GM (R&D)'s signature in the final approver's row. One good thing about working there irrespective of everything was that - IN PRODUCT ENGINEERING, WE WERE EXTREMELY STRONG AND THOROUGH. All this thoroughness is helping me today also.

On reverse lights, all "Deluxe BE" and "Deluxe" series of cars had factory fitted reverse lights. If you observe carefully, you will see a sheet metal projection jutting into the passenger compartment on the top right side of the front left footwell only in this series of cars. We made this to incorporate the reverse light actuation switch which was fitted on the left side of the transmission, otherwise the switch was hitting the body. One wire was red, the other was black with a golden stripe on it. There was a grey coloured insulation on these wires. These wires passed between the legs of the speedometer cable locating bracket on the firewall. You should know all such minor details also. Just for information, there are numerous such small changes, like introduction of button to hold the speedometer driver gear on the mainshaft (1986), introduction of metallic speedometer driven gear only for Mumbai taxi supply cars (1988), introduction of 10 leaf rear springs only for Mumbai taxi supply cars (1988), introduction of cross wheel spanner with unequal length arms and different head attachments in one piece construction (1987). Introduction of small indentation on the top front face of the muffler to provide relief for the handbrake acutating rod of S1 BE cars, but commonized across models (1991), introduction of plain washer instead of metal strip to hold the front exhaust pipe on the "Y" bracket (1988), elimination of jute felt from the inside of the rear door inner handles of "Deluxe" cars only (1986), elimination of whitewall tyres (1986), introduction of "hold off" type wiper arms for "Deluxe BE" and "Deluxe" cars (1987), introduction of 12 mm * 12 mm * 0.8 mm deep indentations on the firewall upper to facilitate incorporation of batter cable mounting brackets for Premier Padmini 137D cars but commonized across all models (1990), introduction of clip on carburettor tray for holding the temperature guage sensor wire (1987), reducing the length of the horn mounting bolt only for cars having single horn (1986). There are numerous such FPC, RDS, OEG and EEG documents which we would release (Future Production Change / Release Delete Schedule / Optional Equipment Group / Extra Equipment Group). These are engineering documents which control the product specifications and deliverables to the end customer.

OH REE GEE NUL ITY ? THINK ABOUT IT.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 24th December 2009, 12:30   #738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - I am clarifying once again, there was never any "BU". If you have seen a badge, it is not original. Floor shift gear cars were just "Deluxe" with an "e". There was never any "Delux". If you have seen such a badge, either it is not original or it is broken or it is purposely cut. There was never any "Executive" also. You will never get to see the original tracings as they would have disappeared now, but I can proudly state that my signature was there on most of the drawings in the row of "appending engineer" with GM (R&D)'s signature in the final approver's row. One good thing about working there irrespective of everything was that - IN PRODUCT ENGINEERING, WE WERE EXTREMELY STRONG AND THOROUGH. All this thoroughness is helping me today also.

On reverse lights, all "Deluxe BE" and "Deluxe" series of cars had factory fitted reverse lights. If you observe carefully, you will see a sheet metal projection jutting into the passenger compartment on the top right side of the front left footwell only in this series of cars. We made this to incorporate the reverse light actuation switch which was fitted on the left side of the transmission, otherwise the switch was hitting the body. One wire was red, the other was black with a golden stripe on it. There was a grey coloured insulation on these wires. These wires passed between the legs of the speedometer cable locating bracket on the firewall. You should know all such minor details also. Just for information, there are numerous such small changes, like introduction of button to hold the speedometer driver gear on the mainshaft (1986), introduction of metallic speedometer driven gear only for Mumbai taxi supply cars (1988), introduction of 10 leaf rear springs only for Mumbai taxi supply cars (1988), introduction of cross wheel spanner with unequal length arms and different head attachments in one piece construction (1987). Introduction of small indentation on the top front face of the muffler to provide relief for the handbrake acutating rod of S1 BE cars, but commonized across models (1991), introduction of plain washer instead of metal strip to hold the front exhaust pipe on the "Y" bracket (1988), elimination of jute felt from the inside of the rear door inner handles of "Deluxe" cars only (1986), elimination of whitewall tyres (1986), introduction of "hold off" type wiper arms for "Deluxe BE" and "Deluxe" cars (1987), introduction of 12 mm * 12 mm * 0.8 mm deep indentations on the firewall upper to facilitate incorporation of batter cable mounting brackets for Premier Padmini 137D cars but commonized across all models (1990), introduction of clip on carburettor tray for holding the temperature guage sensor wire (1987), reducing the length of the horn mounting bolt only for cars having single horn (1986). There are numerous such FPC, RDS, OEG and EEG documents which we would release (Future Production Change / Release Delete Schedule / Optional Equipment Group / Extra Equipment Group). These are engineering documents which control the product specifications and deliverables to the end customer.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Behram Sir,

Many post-1995 Padminis (especially the Diesels) came WITHOUT the Padmini badge. And I can vouch for this. In fact, some taxis still have those badges intact.

They were just badged as Premier Diesel, "Premier" being in a much smaller font than the typical S1/137D badging and Diesel badge (oval shaped) just below the Premier Badge. I'd mentioned this to Cyrus too. The Executive might be a petrol variant of the last production runs.

This is the PM I'd sent to Cyrus on 2nd May 2008.
Quote:
If you remember I was talking about the badging on some of the last batches of Padminis produced. This is what I meant.

Type 1 is the logo found on your LHD
Type 2 is the logo which is found on some Padminis. Note the relative size. And there is NO Padmini badge. Some taxis with MH-01-X-**** reg. no. have this logo. I want more info on this. Is this just cost-cutting or some other version on the lines of the 118NE Viceroy.

Regards.
Old 24th December 2009, 13:39   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Behram Sir,

Many post-1995 Padminis (especially the Diesels) came WITHOUT the Padmini badge. And I can vouch for this. In fact, some taxis still have those badges intact.

They were just badged as Premier Diesel, "Premier" being in a much smaller font than the typical S1/137D badging and Diesel badge (oval shaped) just below the Premier Badge. I'd mentioned this to Cyrus too. The Executive might be a petrol variant of the last production runs.

This is the PM I'd sent to Cyrus on 2nd May 2008.
Diesel cars were only Premier Diesel (The dickey badge read Premier 137D) and not Premier Padmini Diesel. I am attaching a brochure of a diesel car for your reference.
Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Attached Images

Old 24th December 2009, 15:09   #740
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot Behram Sir, for the detailed explanation.

BTW, I had been to Jatti's Engineering to have a look at their collection of Classic Cars. There I found Original Imported LHD Delight.!! Number is MYQ 9***

Now I wonder there would be so many more such imported cars..
Old 24th December 2009, 15:12   #741
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just for information, there are numerous such small changes, like...

There are numerous such FPC, RDS, OEG and EEG documents which we would release (Future Production Change / Release Delete Schedule / Optional Equipment Group / Extra Equipment Group). These are engineering documents which control the product specifications and deliverables to the end customer.

I bet you never even dreamt that one day so many people would be so attentively following these things, and so keenly asking detailed questions! You must add some more stories to the rememberances thread here.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-thread-9.html
Old 24th December 2009, 18:54   #742
BHPian

Quote:
Dear all - I am clarifying once again, there was never any "BU". If you have seen a badge, it is not original. Floor shift gear cars were just "Deluxe" with an "e". There was never any "Delux". If you have seen such a badge, either it is not original or it is broken or it is purposely cut. There was never any "Executive" also.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Excellent memory i must say. The drawing must have dissappeared like the rest of the factory's existence. I would beg to differ that there was no executive because i clearly remember seeing the executive badge. It was placed on the opposite side as the type 2 drawing shown by salil, most cars were floor shift bucket seats and tinted glasses. they had the two spoke steering wheel, with pal in a small oval logo, the horn seems to have defunct these days as cabbies put an additional button on it. Yes it was released in 97, the last batch of cars. I know a car which has the sticker but every thing written has faded away. Problem is there is an old woman owner has put a restraint order, with her watchman on me for even looking at the car.
Old 24th December 2009, 22:12   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Excellent memory i must say. The drawing must have dissappeared like the rest of the factory's existence. I would beg to differ that there was no executive because i clearly remember seeing the executive badge. It was placed on the opposite side as the type 2 drawing shown by salil, most cars were floor shift bucket seats and tinted glasses. they had the two spoke steering wheel, with pal in a small oval logo, the horn seems to have defunct these days as cabbies put an additional button on it. Yes it was released in 97, the last batch of cars. I know a car which has the sticker but every thing written has faded away. Problem is there is an old woman owner has put a restraint order, with her watchman on me for even looking at the car.
Bingo! Another citation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
Diesel cars were only Premier Diesel (The dickey badge read Premier 137D) and not Premier Padmini Diesel. I am attaching a brochure of a diesel car for your reference.
Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Correction: The initial batches of Diesel Padminis were badged as "Premier Padmini 137D". You'll still see some taxis sporting these badges albeit faded.

BHPian ramzsys' Padmini 137D
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...137d-1-61-.jpg

The brochure which you have attached is the one I was talking about in my previous post (Type 2 badging). "Premier Diesels" were one of the last diesel Padminis in production, probably around 1997-99. They came without the Padmini badge and the equipment levels were similar to what Kavesh has described.

I believe this was done parallely with the "Viceroy"-fication of the 118NE.

EDIT:
BHPian jaisha talks about his "Executive", click here.

A review of a 1996 Premier Padmini S1 "Executive" on mouthshut.com
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-premier-padmini-executive.jpg
FIAT PREMIER PADMINI Review, FIAT PREMIER PADMINI Price, Mileage, Our good old Premier Padmini.. - MouthShut.com

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 24th December 2009 at 22:31.
Old 25th December 2009, 12:12   #744
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this Fiat 124 Familiare in Frazer Town. Waiting for some repairs to be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc01128.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc01129.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc01130.jpg  

Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc01131.jpg  

arun1100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2009, 15:18   #745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Spotted this Fiat 124 Familiare in Frazer Town. Waiting for some repairs to be done.
Wow, it's amazing how many imported old fiats are turning up in Bangalore! With this, nimmagE Bengalooru would sure be giving Mumbai Fiatindians a run for their money soon...hehe!

The familiare version's rear end, IMHO, looks better than the saloon with it's minimal tail-fins.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:12   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, it's amazing how many imported old fiats are turning up in Bangalore! With this, nimmagE Bengalooru would sure be giving Mumbai Fiatindians a run for their money soon...hehe!
Dont forget they have the 1100 TV So they are probably ahead of us. Now they just need to get it running.

Last edited by the mole : 25th December 2009 at 21:14.
Old 25th December 2009, 21:57   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
FCB is nine months old now and we have come a really long way. We now have 70+ members. It was not a easy task at all..

Almost every other day we keep getting calls from Fiat owners, who get our contact info through TBhp and our website, to join our Club. They are more than happy to join the Club as there are no Membership formalities or fees.

I really wish HYD guys too start a Club asap . I am sure HYD Fiatians have wished to start one. Shyam Garu, come on... You start one..

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dont forget they have the 1100 TV So they are probably ahead of us. Now they just need to get it running.
Its too early to compare FCB and FCCCI-M as you Fiatians are just amazing You guys are way ahead in maintaining and Restoring Fiats than some of us. .
Thanks to Behram Sir for giving all the info about PAL and technical details. Thanks to Adheesh for quickly responding to our technical queries.

Behram Sir, we are all waiting to see you here in Bangalore. Please let us know when you will be coming to Bangalore.

Hope we will have a National Meet of Fiats soon.

Last edited by arun1100 : 25th December 2009 at 21:59.
Old 25th December 2009, 23:50   #748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Yes, I do know of the 1100TV.....can always remember it (since the present owner also owns a very OHH REE GEE NAL '62 Herald! )
and it's understood when I mentioned imported old fiats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
I am sure HYD Fiatians have wished to start one. Shyam Garu, come on... You start one..
ME?! YEnu saar?! I guess I told you- I'm no longer a Fiat-ian!! :(
Its been a year since I sold my last fiat. So maybe suren or hillram or shiva (cyberdoctorind) could take the call instead.
But I could maybe start a club called the FOFCCCI (Friends Of Fiat classic cars club of India, meaning those who may not technically be Fiat owners but do strongly support the latter, like in salvaging restorable fiats, procuring needed spares etc. for them, which I'm still too happy to do, whether or not I've got a Fiat myself)
Or if you insist, maybe you could wait until I get one of those elusive Fiat 500C (a.k.a 'Bug' fiat!) one fiiiiiiiine day.....!

Quote:
Its too early to compare FCB and FCCCI-M as you Fiatians are just amazing You guys are way ahead in maintaining and Restoring Fiats than some of us. .
I certainly didn't mean to get political about the 2 clubs or such; that was just a remark on the lighter side, to appreciate the way your B'lore club has grown from a small number of mainly padmini enthusiasts to a noticeable number of older fiats, and in such good condition!

Last edited by Stanher : 25th December 2009 at 23:53.
Old 26th December 2009, 12:56   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I certainly didn't mean to get political about the 2 clubs or such; that was just a remark on the lighter side, to appreciate the way your B'lore club has grown from a small number of mainly padmini enthusiasts to a noticeable number of older fiats, and in such good condition!
We know you did not. All in good spirit. Look forward to this national meet.
Old 26th December 2009, 14:19   #750
BHPian

Any date fixed for this national event ? Place is GOA......right ?

Most Viewed