Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2010, 21:58   #1366
Senior - BHPian

Nice work on the letterhead. Who designed it by the way?

EDIT: On a side note, I cant thank Arun enough for finding me a nice Mikuni carb + manifold for my 118 NE. Arun, really went out oh his way and waited with me until I got the carburater. Both my NE's will go on Mikuni shortly

Last edited by funkykar : 16th March 2010 at 22:02.
Old 16th March 2010, 22:13   #1367
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
FCB Foundation Day was on Monday. As its weekday we decided to have the all members meet on Sunday.

Our Tribe will only increase, and not decrease!
That's really good! Glad to hear that!

'cant wait to see the pics. of your sunday meet as well!
Old 17th March 2010, 17:26   #1368
BHPian

in reference to aruns post on visit to stephens square(post 1297,page 87):

why the hell would anyone want to scrap such a well kept fiat(the one in the pic)?? its sooooo restorable. ppl i tell you. and the contessa???? its a rare car in delhi now. i hav been looking for one for months now, but havent spotted a single car thats for sale. i even was ready to buy a nearly scrap conti (as long as it could be transferred in my name) but still no luck . and then i see ppl who dont repect what they have and sell their cars to scrap wallas!!!

Last edited by mycarhasablower : 17th March 2010 at 17:31.
Old 17th March 2010, 21:54   #1369
Senior - BHPian

“Where you see valid achievements or virtue being attacked, it's by someone viewing them as a mirror of their own inadequacy instead of an inspiring beacon for excellence.” I read this nice quote.
Old 17th March 2010, 22:00   #1370
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
in reference to aruns post on visit to stephens square(post 1297,page 87):

why the hell would anyone want to scrap such a well kept fiat(the one in the pic)?? and then i see ppl who dont repect what they have and sell their cars to scrap wallas!!!
I am sure no one loves to scrap their cars... If they scrap a car, that doesn't mean that they don't respect. Some people have their own problems because of which they scrap their cars..

FCB was formed to save Fiats. So we guys try our best to help people in maintaining their Fiats and we encourage them to keep their Fiats.
Old 17th March 2010, 22:29   #1371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujith1100 View Post
I am sure no one loves to scrap their cars... If they scrap a car, that doesn't mean that they don't respect. Some people have their own problems because of which they scrap their cars..

FCB was formed to save Fiats. So we guys try our best to help people in maintaining their Fiats and we encourage them to keep their Fiats.
I agree every bit with Sujith.

Many scrap their cars for various reasons. Some reasons could be:
1) Lack of time and money to maintain them.
2) Lack of parking space. May have got newer cars and moving on.
3) Some people are too old and cannot drive anymore. Their next generation may not have the interest or passion for the same.
4) Some old people insist to scrap since they dont want anyone else to use their loved car. They fear it might not get the necessary love towards the car. Its a personal choice anyways.
5) Lack of papers. May not have the time to set right the papers and other stuff like restoration, FC and so on
6) Some major engine problems/too much rust and may feel burdened to invest money to restore.

I am sure for all the above, one may ask why not sell it instead of scrapping. I am sure most would have tried selling them. You have very few takers for some of the old cars, except for some rare models. Nowadays, the scrap value for an old car is sometimes higher than a selling to someone.

EDIT: The motto of FCB is to save Fiats by extending the fullest support to its members. We have so many members who are old swear with pride that "My Fiat exists today only because of FCB". A classic example is Dr. Subbiah, aged about 75. He often tells us that his family is forcing him to part away with the Fiat from 3-4 years. Somehow, he managed to not part it. He was on the verge of considering to part with it, then FCB happened. He now strongly swears in great happiness that he would never part with it. Now, his family too is convinced.

Last edited by funkykar : 17th March 2010 at 22:35.
Old 17th March 2010, 22:41   #1372
Senior - BHPian

Omigod, you guys sure had a blast on the birthday ! The cake looks yummy..
By the way, is "Fiatism" going to be a regular mag ??
Old 17th March 2010, 23:23   #1373
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

leave all others, i think other than founder members of FCB no one else knows in T-BHP and in fiat clubs. i scrapped my all time favorite fiat 1100 ( KA16-M-129 ) just after few days of forming FCB. i still cry for her. if she was alive i would have saved her. i confirmed that she is no more, and cannot be restored properly, even if i restore it, along with reg. no. i had to change 90% of the car parts to be replaced. due to lack off time and heavy financial problems, i couldn't maintain her and even i couldn't give her a shelter. believe me in 2002-2004. i used to take her out with the petrol of Rs. 20-30. after that i couldn't even afford for that also. i pray to god, no one should take my position:-(
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-me_at_mycar.jpg  

Old 17th March 2010, 23:52   #1374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
leave all others, i think other than founder members of FCB no one else knows in T-BHP and in fiat clubs. i scrapped my all time favorite fiat 1100 ( KA16-M-129 ) just after few days of forming FCB. i still cry for her. if she was alive i would have saved her. i confirmed that she is no more, and cannot be restored properly, even if i restore it, along with reg. no. i had to change 90% of the car parts to be replaced. due to lack off time and heavy financial problems, i couldn't maintain her and even i couldn't give her a shelter. believe me in 2002-2004. i used to take her out with the petrol of Rs. 20-30. after that i couldn't even afford for that also. i pray to god, no one should take my position:-(
Another classic example why some times it is inevitable to scrap a car. Even though MB was very very emotionally attached to his Fiat, he had to make the tough decision. He loved his Fiat more than himself. As he stated, it was not in a usable state at all. It would have required a hell of a restoration. It even had seen fire before he stopped using it. Financially, it would have taken a huge toll for restoration.

On a positive note, he sacrificed his Fiat and gave life to the Fiat he has now. If not for him, chances of the existing Fiat being scrapped were high. He has done a great deal of justice for the exisiting Fiat and he equally cares it(that is something he has in his blood).
Old 18th March 2010, 00:11   #1375
BHPian

i understand what you guys are saying but i guess i just dont want to see any cars scrapped, practical or not simply because up here in delhi there are so few classics left already. the fear of their extinction makes me sideline practicality and make not so logical statements. And thanx to the supreme court (or should i say the car companies cartel) i cant even get cars from other states to delhi unlike you guys.life is far more difficult for connoisseurs up here in delhi than compared to other parts of the country in terms of laws , availability of cars and even parts . since there few old cars here therefore original part are impossible to come by. though duplicates are available for the fiat only but for the others..... in fact true connoisseurs are as rare as the cars themselves here.
Old 18th March 2010, 00:33   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
i understand what you guys are saying but i guess i just dont want to see any cars scrapped, practical or not simply because up here in delhi there are so few classics left already. the fear of their extinction makes me sideline practicality and make not so logical statements. And thanx to the supreme court (or should i say the car companies cartel) i cant even get cars from other states to delhi unlike you guys.life is far more difficult for connoisseurs up here in delhi than compared to other parts of the country in terms of laws , availability of cars and even parts . since there few old cars here therefore original part are impossible to come by. though duplicates are available for the fiat only but for the others..... in fact true connoisseurs are as rare as the cars themselves here.

Ohh! This is really sad to know. We now know where your words about scrapping come from. As you said, we are very lucky. In Bangalore, an average of atleast 20-30 Fiats are broken every month. Atleast 30 Ambassadors and 8-9 Conti's every month. 118's too number atleast 25.

We used to feel so terrible seeing nice cars being broken down. After all, you cannot save all or most Fiats. We salvage some of the parts which could be donor parts to keep our Fiats longer.
Old 18th March 2010, 06:15   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Omigod, you guys sure had a blast on the birthday ! The cake looks yummy..
By the way, is "Fiatism" going to be a regular mag ??
Thanks Raviji for appreciating us all through the year.
We plan to make Fiatism a quarterly magazine..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik1100 View Post
leave all others, i think other than founder members of FCB no one else knows in T-BHP and in fiat clubs. i scrapped my all time favorite fiat 1100 ( KA16-M-129 ) just after few days of forming FCB.
Yeah Karthik1100.... I remember that just after a week of FCB you scrapped the car.. Well, I am sure in the coming years you will own at least half a dozen Fiat 1100s.
Old 18th March 2010, 08:55   #1378
BHPian

Absolutely agree with Sujit on the points made below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I agree every bit with Sujith.

Many scrap their cars for various reasons. Some reasons could be:
1) Lack of time and money to maintain them.
2) Lack of parking space. May have got newer cars and moving on.
3) Some people are too old and cannot drive anymore. Their next generation may not have the interest or passion for the same.
4) Some old people insist to scrap since they dont want anyone else to use their loved car. They fear it might not get the necessary love towards the car. Its a personal choice anyways.
5) Lack of papers. May not have the time to set right the papers and other stuff like restoration, FC and so on
6) Some major engine problems/too much rust and may feel burdened to invest money to restore.

I am sure for all the above, one may ask why not sell it instead of scrapping. I am sure most would have tried selling them. You have very few takers for some of the old cars, except for some rare models. Nowadays, the scrap value for an old car is sometimes higher than a selling to someone.

EDIT: The motto of FCB is to save Fiats by extending the fullest support to its members. We have so many members who are old swear with pride that "My Fiat exists today only because of FCB". A classic example is Dr. Subbiah, aged about 75. He often tells us that his family is forcing him to part away with the Fiat from 3-4 years. Somehow, he managed to not part it. He was on the verge of considering to part with it, then FCB happened. He now strongly swears in great happiness that he would never part with it. Now, his family too is convinced.
Old 18th March 2010, 13:33   #1379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Selva View Post
Absolutely agree with Sujit on the points made below.
The points were mine.
Old 18th March 2010, 16:16   #1380
Senior - BHPian

In all these posts I forgot to see the magazine. Great one there and a good one to showcase our writing skills. Can I contribute or has the magazine has already been published.

Most Viewed