Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2009, 21:38   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arun - MEB9974 is a very ggod car. The grille and bumpers are lovely. They need to be preserved and protected. Please post engine compartment pictures also. The side signal lights, the fuel guage and the temperature guage are not original, they need to be changed and original ones put back. There are no rubbers on the brake and clutch pedals. This can affect safety. Also ask the good doctor if he has the original aluminium wheel caps (by the way, I have a set with me).

Please start making a list of things that you guys may want. I can scout around Mumbai / Nasik and try and get them when we meet, hopefully in Belgaum.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 27th December 2009, 21:52   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Arun - MEB9974 is a very ggod car. The grille and bumpers are lovely. They need to be preserved and protected. Please post engine compartment pictures also.
Quote:
side signal lights, the fuel guage and the temperature guage are not original, they need to be changed and original ones put back.
If temp is not original, then Speedometer is also not original. Speedometer is "Autometer". original is Yenkay right?

Quote:
ask the good doctor if he has the original aluminium wheel caps (by the way, I have a set with me).
Are you willing to give them?

Quote:
start making a list of things that you guys may want. I can scout around Mumbai / Nasik and try and get them when we meet, hopefully in Belgaum.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Are you not coming to Bangalore?
Old 27th December 2009, 22:23   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
the fuel guage and the temperature guage are not original,
Nor is the Amp meter on the dash too, I might add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
If temp is not original, then Speedometer is also not original. Speedometer is "Autometer". original is Yenkay right?
The gauges for delights had also come in Autometer. I think around 1970 or so. These gauges didn't have the trim plate in the background as on this car.
Old 27th December 2009, 22:48   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I think around 1970 or so. These gauges didn't have the trim plate in the background as on this car.
MEB 9974 is a 1971 model.

This type of meter shown in pic came only in 71 and 72? I think there was a similar meter with blue background..
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc09418.jpg  

Last edited by arun1100 : 27th December 2009 at 22:51.
Old 27th December 2009, 23:39   #770
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
MEB 9974 is a 1971 model.

This type of meter shown in pic came only in 71 and 72?
It might have continued onto the 71 models initially, then changed to the type in this pic. until the end of the delight in '72. Whose is this car btw? Is it a member of the fiat1100 club?

Last edited by Stanher : 27th December 2009 at 23:43.
Old 28th December 2009, 06:34   #771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whose is this car btw? Is it a member of the fiat1100 club?
Ya he is a Member. Owner is a old Gentleman.... So he is not able to attend our Club Rallies.. Nice car na...
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc09400.jpg  

Old 28th December 2009, 09:41   #772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ya he is a Member. Owner is a old Gentleman.... So he is not able to attend our Club Rallies.. Nice car na...
Oh yes, I do remember this car. Very original indeed! Didn't it have a rust issue on thefront mudguard or something btw?
Old 28th December 2009, 10:02   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes, I do remember this car. Very original indeed! Didn't it have a rust issue on thefront mudguard or something btw?
Yeah Shyam.. Rusts at the end of wheel arches..

I don't know if you remember, this car has done 2.6lakhs kms on the odo! Except for the back door repaint everything else on the body is original. Bangy traffic was so safe then i think.

The car color is called Nimbus.? I just love that color on a Delight.

Last edited by arun1100 : 28th December 2009 at 10:04.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:02   #774
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
The gauges for delights had also come in Autometer. I think around 1970 or so. These gauges didn't have the trim plate in the background as on this car.
Autometer cluster was introduced around 1969/70. As Shyam correctly pointed out, the brushed steel plate is not present in these clusters. The Autometer guages perform very poorly, are rare accurate, and nobody wants to fix them (they are always prone to failure).

Quote:
This type of meter shown in pic came only in 71 and 72? I think there was a similar meter with blue background..
This one piece black meter came in the last Delights in 72. The same meter with a silver face came in President. Blue would probably be aftermarket.

Quote:
The car color is called Nimbus.? I just love that color on a Delight.
Can you check in the RC book what the colour is called? MEB 9974 is called Granopia green or something like that.
Old 28th December 2009, 12:34   #775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This one piece black meter came in the last Delights in 72. The same meter with a silver face came in President. Blue would probably be aftermarket.
KD,

I think the 71-72 Delights did have the Blue/Black colour meters as well, as original. Especially the darker coloured cars. My cousin had one 1971 december model, I distinctly remember it had the blue/black meter in it. As you said the Presidents started with the white/silver ones.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 28th December 2009, 13:13   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
KD,

I think the 71-72 Delights did have the Blue/Black colour meters as well, as original. Especially the darker coloured cars.
I have seen a Delight with 3 light Blue Yenkay meters(i mean, not the Padmini type meter).
Old 28th December 2009, 13:19   #777
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - the Autometer make round speedometer did come on the delight cars. As Karl has rightly pointed out, it is a useless piece of equipment and most of the time it does not work properly. I have fitted it on my Super Select MRY3112 as I did not have a Yenkay when I restored this car in 2007. The needle flickers and it makes a very irritating noise. I have to replace it with a Yenkay speedometer which I have with me now (thanks to Nasik's Chor Bazaar, bought at a ridiculous price but worth it). The diameter of the Yenkay speedometer is slightly more than the Autometer speedometer, so the back plates are different. It is very difficult to get original brushed aluminium back plates for the Yenkay speedometer now. So whenever you guys get anything, please buy and keep forever.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-100_0706.jpg  

Old 28th December 2009, 13:29   #778
Senior - BHPian

These Delight meters have cable for Temp guage.

To fix these Meters to a Padmini, I bought this switch which is fixed near the Manifold. Is it the right one?
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat 1100 Club - Bangalore [FCB]-dsc01198.jpg  

Old 28th December 2009, 14:05   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen a Delight with 3 light Blue Yenkay meters(i mean, not the Padmini type meter).
Those were fitted to the earliest Delights around 64/65. The dash featured the 2 ventilation ducts found in earlier cars.
Old 28th December 2009, 14:38   #780
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Arun - reply to your query, this is not a switch at all (there are no electrical connections, see?). It is just an adaptor made of brass with taper threads. It is supposed to fit into the cylinder head just above the front joint of the inlet and exhaust manifolds. You will have to remove the existing electrically actuated brass adaptor fitted there or you may have to remove the manifold heating pipe type adaptor with its hose, put this adaptor there and use it with the thermocouple type round temperature guage of the 1100 delight. In case of cars with manifold heating, the electrical brass adaptor is fitted on the inlet manifold. You may use this adaptor there, the threads are the same. However, the guage will undersense the temperature as there is no contact with coolant in the cylinder head. Some caution though, when you remove the existing pipe type adaptor from the cylinder head, be careful as that adaptor is made of steel and very often it results in spoilt threads on the head when you try to remove it. The size of spanner is 19 mm. Use a tight fitting ring spanner and hope for the best. If it breaks during removal, you will have to remove the cylinder head and take it to a good turner to knock out the remaining portion. So try to remove it but don't force it. If it does not come out, refit the hose and leave it. In order to avoid all such hassles, it is adviseable to make a hole on the vertical side of the top tank of the radiator facing the engine (above the alternator area) and solder this brass connector to it. You just have to ensure that the thermocouple coil is long enough (usually it is). If you decide to do it, you can get such adaptors with same internal threads required (it is a non-standard size, it is M8*1.0 and not M8*1.25) but having smaller external threads. Ask at an oldie type shop, you will get it. It may be from the old Matador or some such vehicle. You can then merrily grind the outer threads off before soldering it so that the hole diameter you make in the radiator is as small as possible. Also, please take the temperature guage and completely insulate its thermocouple by wrapping it up in plastic non adhesive tape (black tape made by Notre, used by any auto electrician and can be bought from any auto parts shop). This will prevent short circuit due to its metallic core coming in contact with any wire. You will have to do this before you fit the temperature guage on the car.

I have done the cylinder head transformation in my left hand drive car MH01YA3238, in my super select MRY3112 and in my 1967 delight MRF6466. I guess I was very lucky, the connectors came out in one piece everytime except in the LHD where it broke with just one thread remaining, so I was able to knock it off with a good pair of 6" Taparia pliers. These are tricky jobs, best done yourself rather than giving it to any garage.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed