Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 16:37   #1
BHPian

Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8

Hi everyone...Ive been reading posts regarding mustangs on xbhp for years now. This really is an amazing website I must say. I just thought I'd share some pics of the love of my life...my 71 boss that I value more than my life. I have loads of stuff from a BMW 730 to classics like the morris (bought new by my granddad)..to a drag kawasaki ninja 1100cc (ZX11) with four into shorty headers and the usual accords..sonatas..lancers etc. But the stang is my true and only love. It was imported by one of the biggest collectors to India new from a UK showroom in 71. He rarely drove it but always garaged it. Then I came across it an 2000-ish...convinced him to sell it to me and its been lovingly maintained ever since. I have seen almost every mustang in India (All horrendously restored from ground up-as they claim!)and driven most of the ones around. I think I was very lucky to get this as everything on the car was original when I got it-even the original Firestones were on it which i still have (Have ordered a set of magnum 500s though-the only wheels that befit this car!) It still runs the original Autolite 8 plugs it came with from the factory as its just done around 12000 miles. The engine is unbelievable...around 385bhp...loses traction at any speed in any gear whenever I floor the throttle. I have kept it as original as I can-just added a bolt on Borla freeflow which I just cudnt resist doing. It growls like a proper muscle v8 which can be heard atleast 3-4 miles away (seriosly-uve to c it to beleive it!). the sound is just indescribable and makes my hair stand up every time I take it out. And its so reliable- unlike the american cars of today. It always starts even when I return from out of town/country after 2 or even 3 months. And the most amazing thing is the NVH levels-its smoother than my accord or my sonata even (I didnt mention comparing it to my BMW though...that wud be a bit unfare! haha)
Ive kept it in a sealed garage and use a locally procured dehumidifier in the rainy season. I NEVER take it out in the rains. The red and black leather interior is something i got done too..over the oe seats which i didnt wanna spoil (they were velour-yuch!). I just wish I could take it out more often than I do..which by the way is hardly once in 1 or 2 months for a 10-20km spin on the highway which pretty much starts right from from my house....woof...tired of typing...thats it...byeeeeeeee!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8-boss-302-v8-3.jpg  

Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8-boss-302-v8-7.jpg  

Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8-boss-302-v8-8.jpg  

Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8-boss-302-v8-18.jpg  

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th April 2009 at 18:28. Reason: see note in post
Old 29th April 2009, 18:23   #2
BHPian

wonderful ride mate. The mustang's an all time favourite. glad to know you are so passionate about the car...keep them coming would be nice to see the other horses in your stable
Old 29th April 2009, 18:29   #3
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to Team-Bhp mustangcollectr

Where in Bhopal do you stay? While I do expect a lot of vintage cars to be in Bhopal, I have never heard of a Mustang in Bhopal so very curious to know.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:41   #4
BHPian

nice car !

if the NHV was so good , it wouldnt make your hair stand up.
Old 29th April 2009, 18:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Is it really a 302 Boss V8?

Hi Mustangcollectr,

Welcome to TBHP. The car you have got is a car many in India would give an arm and a leg for.

In the title of the thread, you have mentioned that the car is a 302 Boss V8. From my limited knowledge of muscle cars, a few points to ponder:

1) Firstly there is no car called a 71 302 Boss V8. The 302 Boss V8 was a Trans-Am racing special made for only 2 years - 1969 to 1970. Are you sure the model year is correct?

2) All 302 Boss V8s came with a famous "inset" grille with a pair of additional fog lamps/driving lamps squeezed in within the main headlamps. But your car seems to have a normal Mustang grille of that period. (I dont have a soft copy picture to post from my archives. But there are plenty of Boss 302 pics available on the web for you to see what I'm talking about)

3) You have stated your car's power output to be 385 Bhp! The standard Boss 302 V8 produced something like 290-300 Bhp. Even the more powerful & iconic Boss 429 of the era produced some 370 Bhp! Have you fitted some performance modifications to the car?

4) This is an insignificant detail. The 302 Boss V8 came with smaller body coloured mirrors, while your car seems to have larger, chromed mirrors.

Would be happy to know your clarifications to the above points, for the sake of my knowledge. Also do post some pics of the engine and rear part of the car.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2009, 19:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice car. Not so sure about the mentioned specs though and the surprising part is about the "imported new from a UK showroom " and the car is a left hooker !!!

Most importantly it is missing the twin scoops at the leading edge of the bonnet that charecterise a Boss Mustang

This is what a 71 Boss actually looks like and as mentioned by predator 70 was the last year for the 302.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8-1971boss_rf.jpg  

Ford Mustang in Bhopal 302 BOSS V8-71ford381841.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 29th April 2009 at 19:30.
Old 29th April 2009, 20:21   #7
BHPian

thank u.I will try and do so!
Actually I'd just uploaded the pics and didn't realize -
(1)That people would reply to my post that quickly
(2)I'd made so many grammatical mistakes in what I'd written!
haha

I stay at 1 VIP road. Have you been to bhopal?
There are almost NO vintage or classic cars here. Sad but true. The nawab (saif ali khan's dad) had a black jaguar which he sold sometime back. There was one more silver '57 Bentley with a freind of mine which also seems to have been sold off to a freind of Tutu Dhawans I think.

ofcorse it would. Im talking about the NVH levels when I hadn't put the freeflow. Its obvios that there would be immense noise after swapping the restricted oe silencer!

thank you. Okay lets see, let me answer your questions one by one-
(1)yes there is no car called a 71 302 boss v8. Its a 1971 model year mustang boss with a 302 cubic inch v8.
(2)You are correct about the grill. The gentelman I got it from got a plane jane 71 hardtop coupe grill for it. He had showed me the grill that came with the car and it was cracked (the plastic) So he had ordered a new one
(3)I checked the power output by tallying the figures with the VIN and it WAS 385 or 380 I think. I'll do it again and get back to you with the exact figure.
No performance mods except the Borla (Though I never felt the difference except the roar of the engine when I fitted it)
(4)The mirrors were not there when I got the car. These are some cheapie mirrors that politicians put on the front fender of their Ambassadors (Cats outta the bag eh!) I have orderes originals from the California Mustang Website.
I'm really glad that you took the time out to check such minor details out. I think you know quite a bit about cars. Happy to talk to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Nice car. Not so sure about the mentioned specs though and the surprising part is about the "imported new from a UK showroom " and the car is a left hooker !!!

Most importantly it is missing the twin scoops at the leading edge of the bonnet that charecterise a Boss Mustang

This is what a 71 Boss actually looks like and as mentioned by predator 70 was the last year for the 302.
Hi Wasif. Yes it IS a left hand drive. I dont know, maybe they exported LHDs or something. I really dont have the answer to that. He told me he got it from UK though he has no proof of it. (Like the original showroom bill). Maybe he bought it from the US? Sure am glad it didn't end up being junked like the other mustangs or driven off cliffs in movies by the likes of Amitabh Bachhans! haha. Hey, any mustangs in hyderabad? I have a freind their I keep calling up for it. He had given me a number of a fellow called Junaid who had a 66 which he sold of 5 years before I happened to call him!

Last edited by v12 : 30th April 2009 at 11:13.
Old 29th April 2009, 22:09   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

THAT IS NICE MAN. I think i am in love
Old 29th April 2009, 22:39   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcollectr View Post
thank you. Okay lets see, let me answer your questions one by one-
(1)yes there is no car called a 71 302 boss v8. Its a 1971 model year mustang boss with a 302 cubic inch v8.
(2)You are correct about the grill. The gentelman I got it from got a plane jane 71 hardtop coupe grill for it. He had showed me the grill that came with the car and it was cracked (the plastic) So he had ordered a new one
(3)I checked the power output by tallying the figures with the VIN and it WAS 385 or 380 I think. I'll do it again and get back to you with the exact figure.
No performance mods except the Borla (Though I never felt the difference except the roar of the engine when I fitted it)
(4)The mirrors were not there when I got the car. These are some cheapie mirrors that politicians put on the front fender of their Ambassadors (Cats outta the bag eh!) I have orderes originals from the California Mustang Website.
I'm really glad that you took the time out to check such minor details out. I think you know quite a bit about cars. Happy to talk to you!
Thank you. Wait till you meet the regulars on the Vintage car thread. They are true, hands-on encyclopaedias of vintage/classic car knowledge!

About the engine, please post some pictures. Will be able to identify it more easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
THAT IS NICE MAN. I think i am in love
Really? Maybe someone should start a thread dedicated to muscle cars! You have no idea how much drool a carefully preserved Pontiac GTO (no relation to our super mod) or a Plymouth Super Bee will generate!
Old 29th April 2009, 23:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful machine! Congrats in having such an amazing car in your garage!
Old 30th April 2009, 00:08   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
Beautiful machine! Congrats in having such an amazing car in your garage!
thanx bud. I just feel lucky. Coz here in India, it aint the money that counts only LUCK when it comes to imported/vintage/classic cars or bikes
Old 30th April 2009, 00:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcollectr View Post
I have loads of stuff from a BMW 730 to classics like the morris (bought new by my granddad)..to a drag kawasaki ninja 1100cc (ZX11) with four into shorty headers and the usual accords..sonatas..lancers etc.
We'd like to see more pictures Please. Really...??? AccordSSS, SonataSSS, LancerSSS. How many of the same model do you own.

When you say drag Ninja, What exactly do you mean..???

Some more pictures of the boss please.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:56   #13
Senior - BHPian

@ mustangcollectr - I am from Bhopal And I am surprised to know about the Mustang as I have never heard of its presence in Bhopal not to mention the 730 or Ninja 1100 (I know there are Busa's & 1000 RRs but not a Ninja ZX11)

As for the classics I have heard of a few Austins & some other classics in Bhopal.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:20   #14
BANNED

And guess what, Bhopal is also having one Daytona RD400 also
Old 30th April 2009, 13:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Well Bhopal has quite a few RDs & some in very good condition. Not sure though of a RD 400 but cant completely rule out either as there are lots of two stroke crazy guys there.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks