Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2009, 13:43   #16
BHPian

hi guys!
i am a big fan of the mustangs but i am having very little knowledge about this car.if one of you can share the history of the car like how did it come to india,was it officialy sold here or was it just imported by enthusiasts?would be great to know everything about this car,also put some light on 4 cylinder 6 cylinder
Old 30th April 2009, 16:40   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
We'd like to see more pictures Please. Really...??? AccordSSS, SonataSSS, LancerSSS. How many of the same model do you own.

When you say drag Ninja, What exactly do you mean..???

Some more pictures of the boss please.
sure thing.Jus lemme snap some more!
oh yeah...the ssssssssss..well, I have
(1)An Accord which my mother uses;

(2)a black lancer with lottsa'ICE and the usual mods (K&N 57i, 15inch blinger chromes matched to 205/50 japanese yoko pilot sports,

GT aluminum spoiler, Magnaflow, 8 (4x LS1235) subwoofers with neons matched to multiple Rockford Fosgate

Mono Blocks, A total of 12 components including the subs,Monster audio wiring, a JVC Exad DVD player matched to 3 screens,Pioneer DEH-7600 DSP, Crossovers, Distribution Blocks, and standalone Sattelite navigation plus the usual stuff like Autoguages (Autometer),(streetgo) underbody neons and all and a discreet

custom oe skirting from the SFXI) iridiums, MSD;

(3)a Silver Sonata Gold (As original as can be);

(4)an recently acquired old but concours conditon green BMW 730 (Not ''i'' and not

'L') with the 3.3 liter inline 6 (M25 engine-not to be mistaken with anything to do with the M series BMWs!), dual acs, calf lether etc;

(5)A black morris minor 1000 (Absolutely original from the faded paint to the

upholstery, not to mention the engine). It requires a gorund up restoration job so Im thinking of chopping it up into a

hotrod. Because I'm not into vintage cars-only classics because its a power thing

with me, and vintages usually dont make as much as muscle cars do'right?

(6)a pristine Cielo I bought from the showroom in 98 (third cielo in bhopal back

then). Thats also something I'll probably never sell off;

(7)an early model white esteem and

(8)a moonbeam silver opel swing,

(10)and last but not the least my Zx-11(ZZR1100) ninja.

(11) oopsies..I forgot the 71'Stang! (I new I'd gotten the count wrong somewhere

here!) haha

When I said a Drag Ninja, I mean it has Supertrapp, Shorty four into one drag

headers and a Kerker freeflow along with a rejetted custom Dynojet Track Only kit,

as a result of which its more that 130 DB loud and pops 1-2 feet flames from the freeflow on extreme

deceleration and revving over 8-9000 rpm. Ive dragged raced it with 3 Gixxer'13s

till now and they were no where to be seen in my mirrors! I;ve timed the 0-100 kms per hour run, and its below 2.8 seconds. Took me nearly 5 days to do so!
Old 30th April 2009, 16:43   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Holy Lord, that is one beautiful Mustang! I don't know much about the vintage or what year the Boss was sold, but I gotta tell ya....you are very VERY lucky to have this beast in your garage. The colour combination (exterior + interior) is just perfect. Man, the muscle car oozes character.

How about a drive by video?
Old 30th April 2009, 16:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

The mustang pics show just parts of it.
Can we have a full picture of your mustang ?
Old 30th April 2009, 16:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
@ mustangcollectr - I am from Bhopal And I am surprised to know about the Mustang as I have never heard of its presence in Bhopal not to mention the 730 or Ninja 1100 (I know there are Busa's & 1000 RRs but not a Ninja ZX11)

As for the classics I have heard of a few Austins & some other classics in Bhopal.
You must not LIVE in bhopal then! Come and visit me anytime. I''ll give you a spin on all of them. My name is Altamash, and almost Everybody knows me in town. By the way there is no 1000rr and never was,it was a cbr400 that a guy got on rent from Mehmud Chaudhry (Grant road, mumbai) which he exchanged for a 600rr from Guddu motors after a few months and has now also been exchanged back for cash. (Pun intended!) There are two other Superbikes which belong to very close freinds of mine. My bike was the first superbike (Or ANY imported bike for that matter) in bhopal for many years until last year when a few bikes came in. Seems the LEASE on the bikes that people get to bhopal runs out in a few months and theyve to return them (Much pun intended again!). The Austin was my grandfathers. Theres one more similar one with my best freind parked in the basement of a building just above my house. There was an MG sports convertible which was my Dad's when he got married, a Dodge Kingsway and a some Plymouth and a Buick super 8 which all were my Grandfathers. He also had a BSA Bantum and one of the first BMW motorbikes in India-right here in Bhopal.(an r26 or something)(Not to mention the Austin and the morris which he had in later years). There was another similar MG that my wife's maternal grandfather-right here in Bhopal again. Other than this, there have hardly been any imported or classic OR vintage cars in Bhopal.

yup. I know. Its white. He's a very nice boy who has it, I know him.

Quote:
Well Bhopal has quite a few RDs & some in very good condition. Not sure though of a RD 400 but cant completely rule out either as there are lots of two stroke crazy guys there.
I had a black RD 350 in college (BSSS). Then I sold it, then regretted doing so, then bought another one and the cycle repeated again until I burnt the last one-totally raized it to the ground 7-8 years ago. We'd to call the fire brigade to get the fire out because the tank was almost full when a spark ignited the overflowing carb due to a leaky float pin (s?) Never had the heart to buy another one again. The RD350 is an amazingly ferocios machine still. Bhopal's always had loads of um! (not to mention my pet hate- the WWII jeeps-such trash to the core!) A freind of mine raced one with a CBR400 and guess who won?? The nearly 35 years old designed yammie! Hmmm...things that make you go hmm eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Holy Lord, that is one beautiful Mustang! I don't know much about the vintage or what year the Boss was sold, but I gotta tell ya....you are very VERY lucky to have this beast in your garage. The colour combination (exterior + interior) is just perfect. Man, the muscle car oozes character.

How about a drive by video?
thanx GTO. You know I never liked the 64 or the 66 or even the 68 and 69s. especially the 64's which kinda spelled ECONOMY. Not a word to be associated with a muscle car I think. Kind os a paradox. But the 70 to 73 stangs were the biggest and in my opinion the 71 GT500 was the most beautiful car in the world, unlike the Jag E-type which snooty types consider to be the best looker.
The 70 to 73 stangs were the biggest and the baddest-and they weren't ashamed of being so either, until the 70's oil crises killed them along with the others (The camaros, GTOs and my other dream car the Dodge Charger). Do the Google the 71 GT 500 and tell me what you think of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
The mustang pics show just parts of it.
Can we have a full picture of your mustang ?
soon. Its 46 degrees today!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 30th April 2009 at 17:19. Reason: back to back posts
Old 30th April 2009, 17:55   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the details

Yes I know about the RR & just wanted to confirm.

You are right I dont Live in Bhopal right now but I was born & brought up there.

I am also an ex-BSSSite :-)

There used to be a guy called Faisal(I am not sure but I thinks he is a nephew of Gufran E Azam) who had an RD350 in those days in BSSS.

Lol you reminded me of umpteen Jeeps that Bhopal has.

I would surely like to meet up the next time I am in Bhopal.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th April 2009 at 17:58.
Old 30th April 2009, 18:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

@Mustancollectr - Hey Mustang Collectr..welcome aboard..one more Bhopali...I actually dony belong to bhopal but spent a lotta time there almost 10 years..never really heard of this Mustang..cool man
@Technocrat - hey I am too a ex-BSSsite (2000-03 batch)..even Gufran E Azam aka Bhayyu had a RD-350(white) badly modded though..
Yep there are plenty of jeeps/willys/kaisers/fords..unfortunately most of them are dieselised...
Old 30th April 2009, 18:22   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow this thread is turning out to be a pukka Bhopali Thread

I passed out in 2000
Old 1st May 2009, 00:10   #24
BHPian

Quote:

I passed out in 2000
This seems to be an interesting Mustang ! Would love to see more pictures especially the engine bay, meter cluster and more detailed photographs of the exteriors.
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great collection mate. The Mustang is surely the pick of the litter.

Quote:
I have seen almost every mustang in India (All horrendously restored from ground up-as they claim!)and driven most of the ones around.
I dont think you have seen the green 69 convertible which was restored not far away from your city by one of India's most respectable restorers. The car was also featured in the film Bluff Master. I think its one of the best jobs (almost ground up) i have seen. Then there are a couple of stangs in Delhi which are great jobs. I suppose you may have not been able to see these cars that I mention above.

Quote:
an recently acquired old but concours conditon green BMW 730 (Not ''i'' and not 'L')...
I suppose you mean the E23 "7" series made between 1977-1986. Great cars and built like a tank.

Quote:
.....with the 3.3 liter inline 6 (M25 engine-not to be mistaken with anything to do with the M series BMWs!), dual acs, calf lether etc;
The E23 only came with the M-30 six cylinder engines.
I have never heard of an M25 BMW engine. Could you please shed some light on it? Also I have never heard of a 730 with a 3.3 litre engine. Maybe you mean the M30 or is it that your car is not an E23. Could you please tell us the year of manufacture of the car if possible,?

A word about the E23;

The E23 7 series was introduced in 1977.
There were three models available which all had the M30 six cylinder engine viz, the 728, 730 and733i.

The 728 had 170 HP and the 730 184 HP. The 733i with fuel injection had 197 HP.

These versions were available till 1979 from where on all engines came with EFI. The BMW 728i replaced the models 728 and 730 and the 732i replaced the 733i.

The two numbers after the "7" designate a hundredth of the capacity in cm. (at least that was the norm which has gone haywire today with the era of offering bigger engines on smaller cars)
In some special editions, however this did not hold good, even back then. A good example would be the E23 745i, which sported the M30, 3430cc engine, the closest to the 3.3 litre engine you mention having in your car. The "i" always stood for fuel injection.

Models without the "i" generally had a Solex four barrel carburetted engine.

Could you please post a pic of your car so that the confusion may be cleared?

Last edited by V-16 : 2nd May 2009 at 01:19.
Old 2nd May 2009, 14:59   #26
BHPian

Yeah I know Faisal. There were 3 faisal's at that particular time who had 350s. The one you're talking about was a so-so bike. Too unoriginal for my taste!
Yup this is the land of-
(1)Parda
(2)Zarda and (at the risk of sounding blasphemos-)
(3)Na-Marda !

heehee-just kidding
ACTUALLY in reality, Bhopal is the land of-
(1)Jeeps
(2)Shikar (Hunting)
(3)And men who dont work but only practice primitive occupations like Farming.
(4)The city sleeps at 4-5am, and thats when you get to see the real Ford and Willys jeeps come out!
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:11   #27
BHPian

I never take out the mustang to that side of town now. Its kind of difficult maneuvering a 16 foot long car in choc-a-block traffic in the middle of the city! I use to do so regularly before, but now the traffics not worth the risk.

There are more than 70-80 RD-350s in Bhopal. Quite a few in very good condition actually. If you wanna see a REAL RD350, then go to hyderabad and see my freind Najaf Ali Mirza. He has more than 120-130 imported bikes from moto guzzis to classic gold wings to ZX12r ninjas to every conceiveble british classic motorcycle in concours conditon. His collection is generations old and he is the most simple, humble and down to earth man you will ever meet-unlike the newbie rich kids with no family background riding cbr600s who think they're now the cat's whiskers!

He has 3-4 RDs also which he bought home from the showroom towards the end and beleive me-one of them even had the original polythene on the seat cover from the showroom the last time I sawe it in one of his garages! He wont sell anything though, because he's a collector not a dealer.
Old 2nd May 2009, 15:13   #28
BHPian

Quote:

I passed out in 2000
I passed out in 96 if I remember correctly. Everyone from in and around my batch nows me though 2000 mustve been a bit far off!
Do come over next time you're in town though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
This seems to be an interesting Mustang ! Would love to see more pictures especially the engine bay, meter cluster and more detailed photographs of the exteriors.
Definately. I love your car too. Its always there at the Auto Expo. Seems to get better everytime I see it. Hope to see it again this Jan! Happy to see the new spoke arrangement. I wanted to get the Mahindra Classic spoke mag wheels for mine but Ive heard they losen up on every bump and theyre is no one to fix align the spokes properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great collection mate. The Mustang is surely the pick of the litter.

I dont think you have seen the green 69 convertible which was restored not far away from your city by one of India's most respectable restorers. The car was also featured in the film Bluff Master. I think its one of the best jobs (almost ground up) i have seen. Then there are a couple of stangs in Delhi which are great jobs. I suppose you may have not been able to see these cars that I mention above.
I will answer...gimme a few years to read what youve written first (Just kidding buddy)!
I think I'll just post the pics in a few days -of the car as well as the engine bay.
Yeah its a e23.

Thanx bro!
The green 69 convertible was sold by His Highness Manvendre Singh of Barwani to a person in Mumbai for 8 (Yes thats it!) lacs. That person sold it for 18. I guess you seem to know the rest. Barwani Sahib, a very close freind of mine along with Sharad Sanghi have the biggest collection of the most prestigeos automobiles in our country. They are simlpe and humble people who dont like to showw off (Unlike a particular vintage collector in Bombay whose house the Queen visited for dinner, and whose intials only, I will mention here -PB''. (!)) Between these two gentlemen they have multiple (Yes way more than one) Cadillac 16s, innumerable Rolls Royces and Bentleys (More than anyone else in India), E-types, Every Cadillac ever made in every color and every trim, Auburn Cords (Please dont forget that Im using Plurals here-not singulars!)-garages and garages filled with the worlds most exotic machinery in concours conditon. Very few people have been allowed to see the collection. Its in Indore. He is the type of man who knows the part number of the radiator cap of a mustang by heart!!
Oh by the way, the Bluffmaster car is even junkier than Hritik's mustang, sold by Team Motor Works in Bombay to him. No offense to TMWs, but when something has rotted beyond repair, theres not much point in flogging a dead horse, especially with a half hearted effort .
There are comparitively fewer stangs in Delhi. (As compared to Mumbai). Ive seen them all. None are anywhere near original, unlike other cars like the '57 Chevys (Diljeet Titus- Another good freind and only American car afficionado in India) and the '59 Caddys and the 70 Chargers (Vijendre Gupta's-he got the fuel filler cap for my mustang from the US when I couldn't go or wait for it at that time)
There are three only REAL classic/vintage car collectors in Delhi-
(1) Mr. Ranjit Mallik (Has excelsior hendersons and the like too)
(2) Mr. Vijendre Gupta
(3) Mr. Diljeet Titus (The nicest gentleman)

Last edited by khan_sultan : 2nd May 2009 at 17:15.
Old 2nd May 2009, 17:12   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcollectr View Post
Between these two gentlemen they have multiple (Yes way more than one) Cadillac 16s, innumerable Rolls Royces and Bentleys (More than anyone else in India), E-types, Every Cadillac ever made in every color and every trim, Auburn Cords (Please dont forget that Im using Plurals here-not singulars!)-garages and garages filled with the worlds most exotic machinery in concours conditon. Very few people have been allowed to see the collection. Its in Indore. He is the type of man who knows the part number of the radiator cap of a mustang by heart!
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a Cadillac 16? Do you mean V-16, ie 16 cylinders? If so, you also mean to say plural for that? Wow. Do tell us more. Im intrigued!
Old 2nd May 2009, 19:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the information buddy. You do seem like a great enthusiast but we must remember not to demean other cars especially if they belong to members.

Especially interesting to me are your revelations of plural cars (in this case, used to denote more than two) viz; V-16 (not me) Caddys, Cords etc. besides the specifications of your E23

About the E23 im still intrigued and confused. Hoping you could clear the doubt. After all, one of the things this forum is all about is, increasing our collective knowledge here.

Im quite surprised that you can even compare the bluff master Mustang to the TMW's alleged Mustang The TMW car is not Hritik's. Posing with the car, sprawled on the bonnet, for a tabloid, does not make the car his

Then the Delhi (Kapoor) Mustang will not even warrant a mention here i suppose. Comparing the Indore restored Mustang to a hardly restored car is directly comparing the skills of a very well reputed restorer with a wannabe restorer. I dont think Mr. Manvendra would take it very sportingly. But we all have different benchmarks for quality, as we have for collectors , restorers and comparisons, obviously yours are different than mine.

I would love to see the pics of your cars and others you have mentioned. It would be great if you could post them as there are so many enthusiasts waiting to see them.

Having said that, I would sincerely request you to refrain from suggesting that there is only One true American car aficionado in India (nothing personal to Mr. Titus), i have deep respect for a man who can spend so much towards his passion) and that there is No other car like "XXX" in India etc ,etc. You may be wrongly misunderstood as being a rude and pompous know it all, something im sure you dont want.

What would you call Mr. Chowdhry from Delhi then?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks