Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2010, 17:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I was fortunate to get a copy of this stellar shot of the lady herself (armed with her trademark Roliflex) with her favourite car.

Attachment 312112
Wow what a picture! This car is true history and provenance, and luckily in the hands of someone who understands and appreciates it.

In the picture do i see a patti extending from the front door to the rear? Seems to be missing on the front fender?
Old 21st March 2010, 19:04   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
In the picture do i see a patti extending from the front door to the rear? Seems to be missing on the front fender?
Contrary to what I thought earlier, the car did sport side trims, though in this picture the one on the front mudguard is missing. I will need a set, if anyone can oblige.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:50   #78
BHPian

Re: Welcome home 'Dalda 13'

Hi Karl, I hope this is not irrelevant, if it is please excuse me (and delete this post). There is an article in today's times of India, Bangalore edition about Ms.Homai Vyarawalla i thought would add to the history of your car's previous owner and her illustrious life.

She captured Nehru, and is still going strong at 97

Says Black & White Make The Best Photos

TIMES NEWS NETWORK

Bangalore: Sitting in her wheelchair, paying hardly any attention to the latest cameras in the hands of photographers or bothered by its lights flashing on her face,little would you think that this was the lady who made Mahatma Gandhi say, “She will leave only after making me go blind with her flashes.”
Homai Vyarawalla, 97, the first woman journalist of the country, was in town for the exhibition of her photographs at the National Gallery of Modern Arts. Outside the gallery, she sat with the press and reminisced about her good old days with the camera.
“That was a totally different world. Moral values were different. My colleagues were gentlemen and there was no bias against women in the field. There were instances when we had to stay overnight in one tent. There was no competition, it was just cooperation. I used to bicycle from Safdarjung Airport to Connaught Place in Delhi at midnight,” she said in her strong, articulate voice.
Homai was into the profession when India was going through its most turbulent times. Associated with many leaders, she narrated her experiences: “Gandhiji was averse to camera flashlights, and I did not know that. When he was going for a prayer meeting, there were no streetlights and I started clicking photos. He shouted: ‘She will not leave me till she blinds me with that flash’.”
Later, during his funeral procession, she climbed up a storm water pipe along with six of her colleagues to get the photo from a different angle, when Nehru and Lord Mountbatten were next to his body.
Photos, she says, is about being in the right place at the right time. And one of her best photos was clicked like that. “Vijayalakshmi Pandit was coming to meet her brother. Nehru was waiting for the plane to land. After she came out, Nehru went forward and hugged her. The man standing in front of me moved just in time, giving me an opportunity to click,” she said.
When one of the reporters raised a question about the relationship between Nehru and Lady Mountbatten, she replied sharply. “It was none of our business. It was not my idea of a photojournalist to pry into other people’s lives. Many people had some skeletons in their cupboard. This was their way of diverting attention from it. Let them live the way they want to.”She still feels that black and white photographs say the best stories. “Photography is black and white, tones and shadows.” When in the field, she had an added advantage when compared to her male colleagues. She usually got the subject looking into her camera, with curiosity, at the only woman in the male crowd. In a Punjabi dress (salwar kameez) or a saree worn in the Parsi style, she always stood out in the crowd.
It was with a deep sense of integrity that she worked every day. Ask her why she quit journalism and she would say, “I got into it as I wanted to do something different. Years later, photojournalists started sitting in their offices and sending darkroom boys. They were not that educated and did not have discipline. Once an ambassador said, ‘Someone please throw these bloody photographers out’. I did not want to work without respect. I was even instrumental in instituting a dress code (coats) for photojournalists entering Rashtrapathi Bhavan.”
At this statement, somebody in the crowd murmured, “If she was in the profession today, she would have whacked many with the camera tripod!” Homai heard, and burst into laughter.
LIFE AND TIMES OF HOMAI VYARAWALLA
Born in 1913 to a Parsi family in Navsari, Gujarat Graduate of St Xavier’s College and JJ School of Arts, Mumbai Learnt photography from her friend, who became her husband in 1941 Moved to Delhi in 1942, where she managed family and professional life with ease Employed with British Information Services and freelanced in evenings Quit journalism in 1970 Lived with son, who was a professor at Bits-Pilani After son’s untimely death, living alone in Baroda
CRAZY CAREER
Travelled in an army truck in Sikkim Took photographs from a crane above Bhakhra dam Travelled through the jungles of Manipur Drove through Kumbh Mela in a fire engine, ringing the bell While taking a photograph from a height, crashlanded in front of Mohammed Ali Jinnah Fell into the water body around Taj Mahal while taking photos of Earl Warren Day started as early as 4.30am, and ended by 2am

Homai Vyarawalla at the National Gallery Of Modern Art in Bangalore on Thursday
srinand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 19:36   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
There is an article in today's times of India, Bangalore edition about Ms.Homai Vyarawalla i thought would add to the history of your car's previous owner and her illustrious life.
Thanks for sharing. I was lucky to attend the same event in Mumbai a couple of months back and meet the charming Ms. Vyarawalla once more. She is an inspiration to us all.

Welcome home 'Dalda 13'-01.jpg

Welcome home 'Dalda 13'-02.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2012, 17:57   #80
Team-BHP Support

It is sad to know that Mrs. Homai Vyrawalla, the first owner of Dalda 13 passed away this morning at a young age of 98. May her soul rest in peace.

News link.
Old 16th January 2012, 00:32   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
It is sad to know that Mrs. Homai Vyrawalla, the first owner of Dalda 13 passed away this morning at a young age of 98. May her soul rest in peace.

News link.
It is indeed a great loss to the nation.She was the first lady photo journalist and one hopes that her work is safe in an archive which can be shown to the new generation photographers.
Old 20th January 2012, 09:57   #82
BHPian

here is the pic of DLD 13 which someone shared on FB's album:
Link to album: Homai Vyarawalla - The First Lady of Indian Press Photography | Facebook

Here is the pic:
See what she said about the car: "Purchased in 1955 for Rupees 11,000/- with taxes! It came to me on the 13th of the month that happened to be Dhanteras at Diwali time. I believe in numerology and the number thirteen has been lucky for me."
Attached Thumbnails
Welcome home 'Dalda 13'-dld-13.jpg  

dhrishikesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 19:40   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
here is the pic of DLD 13 which someone shared on FB's album:

See what she said about the car: "Purchased in 1955 for Rupees 11,000/- with taxes! It came to me on the 13th of the month that happened to be Dhanteras at Diwali time. I believe in numerology and the number thirteen has been lucky for me."
Also the car was directly imported in a batch to India from Italy (not assembled as later ones) by steamer. According to Karl (the present owner!), it originally came with tubeless tyres, which were later replaced with normal tubed ones after they were found to have too many nails in them.
This photo appears to have been taken a bit later considering the car is showing a bit of wear, the front hubcap being missing.
Old 20th January 2012, 19:58   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Karl - as a mark of respect to the dear lady, let DLD13 come out in its full glory! I am eagerly awaiting the same.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 22nd January 2012, 13:00   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

We have indeed lost a national treasure, the likes of which we will almost surely never see again. I really am at a loss for words. The good people at BSMotoring have put up a piece on their blog here -

Dalda 13

I first met her in September 2009 a few months after I got the car. Always carried this autograph with me ever since.

Welcome home 'Dalda 13'-autograph.jpg

The car meanwhile continues its restoration at a slow but steady pace. The level of tinwork required is huge, practically every panel is being paintakingly rebuilt.
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 13:43   #86
BANNED

Quote:
The car meanwhile continues its restoration at a slow but steady pace. The level of tinwork required is huge, practically every panel is being paintakingly rebuilt.
Karl, can you please post some pics of WIP! It would surely be a learning experience for all of us!
Old 22nd January 2012, 14:02   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthvikmagal View Post
Karl, can you please post some pics of WIP! It would surely be a learning experience for all of us!
+1 ^^ Have been waiting eagerly for the WIP. Is the car being restored somewhere in Pune? Would love to see it in person!
Old 9th June 2014, 23:47   #88
BHPian

Came across this video on fb

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152380719709819

appears genuine.

Have a look at 5 mins. 20 secs. Looks like Mrs.Vyarawalla to me.
TractionAvant is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2014, 10:08   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Came across this video on fb

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152380719709819

appears genuine.

Have a look at 5 mins. 20 secs. Looks like Mrs.Vyarawalla to me.
It could be only her and nobody else. Thanks, you made my day

Last edited by karlosdeville : 11th June 2014 at 10:58.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2014, 18:18   #90
BHPian

Quote:
It could be only her and nobody else. Thanks, you made my day

The video say's a lot about the sort of access Mrs.V had, doesn't it? :-)

Most Viewed