Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 23:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Oops missed this thread!!

Congrats Ram!! Some pics of the wheel caps please!
Old 9th February 2010, 01:04   #32
Senior - BHPian

Nothing to worry Hillram, even my Fiat had the same issue. Its just because of head gasket anyway check for the valves, water pump, check the radiator and get it cleaned if necessary and also the head.

I had slightly different issue when the car is on and the raditor lid open on you stamp on gas pedal the water starts shooting up, I have got the head work done at afzalgunj, radiator got cleaned next to bade miya petrol pump and replaced the above said parts and car runs like a magic now.

This entire process might take a day or two depending on the mechanic and head repairers ability.

Last edited by chanu : 9th February 2010 at 01:06. Reason: added few more lines
Old 9th February 2010, 06:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Soon we will have the sixth FIAT Club in India i hope.!! The HYDERABAD chapter.
Old 9th February 2010, 10:34   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
But muy spirits were dampened this evening,when i filled the radiator with water and started the engine,water gushed out of the exhaust pipe and the radiator was empty with in few minutes.My mechanic says the head casket must have snapped.Water has gone into the head.
What is the damage here and how severe and costly is it? How long does it take to fix this? Now the Delight needs this attention badly.
What is your advise?
It is a common problem with Fiats - I have bought 2 Fiats in this condition (one being the same colour as yours, also from Hyderabad, (courtesy our dearest Stanher, to who I am ever grateful). If you open the radiator cap you will see it is coated in sludge. Do not run the engine in this condition. Get a competent mechanic to open the head and change the gasket. Simultaneously you will have to get the radiator and lines thoroughly flushed. Use this opportunity to flush out the sump and naturally change all fluids. I don't think much else would be needed to be done, but do ask your mechanic his further advice. Happy Fiating!
Old 9th February 2010, 10:57   #35
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! This would really delight you . Please post more and more pics of the car
Old 9th February 2010, 17:56   #36
Senior - BHPian

Folks..back with some bad and good news.
My delight has after all suffered a head crack,hence i spent the whole morning doing a damage control.Finally,i managed to transplant a 66 Delight head which fitted like a glove with only millimetres of modification.
Right now the delight is getting a new water pump,new elbows,new oil and fuel filters,some more missing parts.Other wise, the gear box,clutch/clutch plates and brakes are in lovely condition.
Delight should be back tomorrow evening and goes for a leather upholstry on Thursday.
So i reckon,I will unveil the car over the weekend and commemorate by starting the Fiat 1100 Club,Hyderabad Thread.Until then hang on friends.
Old 9th February 2010, 18:17   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Folks..back with some bad and good news.
My delight has after all suffered a head crack,hence i spent the whole morning doing a damage control.Finally,i managed to transplant a 66 Delight head which fitted like a glove with only millimetres of modification.
Right now the delight is getting a new water pump
How much did you pay for the HEAD?

Which make water pump?

Quote:
So i reckon,I will unveil the car over the weekend and commemorate by starting the Fiat 1100 Club,Hyderabad Thread.Until then hang on friends.
This weekend is gonna be really exciting.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
How much did you pay for the HEAD?

Which make water pump?

Head came free literally,but in a way the Head would have costed me 6.5K.am not sure of the make of water pump.But will post soon as i will get to see tomorrow.

Last edited by hillram : 9th February 2010 at 20:14.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Head came free literally,but in a way the Head would have costed me 6.5K.am not sure of the make of water pump.But will post soon as i will get to see tomorrow.
A Fiat engine costs 5-6k in scrapyard.!!

TVS water pump is available.

Last edited by arun1100 : 9th February 2010 at 20:17.
Old 9th February 2010, 20:26   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
A Fiat engine costs 5-6k in scrapyard.!!

TVS water pump is available.
Arun bhai did you mean engine or engine head ?
Old 9th February 2010, 20:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

It was a used head that you put in, correct? A used one could cost any where between 400-1000 bucks. Given that this is a Delight one, it could just double up (subjective to the place and how well you know the scrap yard guy). If you managed a new head (Delight's), its priceless!
Old 9th February 2010, 20:31   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
A Fiat/PP engine costs 5-6k in scrapyard.!!
Old 9th February 2010, 20:33   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
An engine in top notch condition. Fiat engines are in great demand. 90% of them get transported to Mumbai in trucks. We know a few guys who give guaranteed replacement of any part or the whole engine, even if you dont have a reason.

If you trade the old one in, they deduct 3-4k irrespective of the condition of engine you are giving back.

NE engine dont really have much value and can be procured for 2-5k with the same gaurantee. I was offered an engine for 5k. If I returned my old one, minus 3k. Literally en engine exchange for 2k.
Old 9th February 2010, 22:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
An engine in top notch condition. Fiat engines are in great demand. 90% of them get transported to Mumbai in trucks. We know a few guys who give guaranteed replacement of any part or the whole engine, even if you dont have a reason.

If you trade the old one in, they deduct 3-4k irrespective of the condition of engine you are giving back.

NE engine dont really have much value and can be procured for 2-5k with the same gaurantee. I was offered an engine for 5k. If I returned my old one, minus 3k. Literally en engine exchange for 2k.
Are you guys serious. One can get the fiat engine for that price only. Will give it a try here. That's something unique to hear, an exchange scheme of an old car engine that too with unconditional warranty.
Old 9th February 2010, 22:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you guys serious. One can get the fiat engine for that price only. Will give it a try here. That's something unique to hear, an exchange scheme of an old car engine that too with unconditional warranty.
Absolutely! Its just about the rapport you build with them. The price for fiat engines are higher, just because of the demand in Mumbai. If not virtually, if you know the guys there, an engine of 1100 CC should be less than 5k

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks