Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2009, 12:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I recently purchased a 1960 Select (quite original) (sadly I had to left the car in home town and return back to work :O{ :O{), it was late in the evening when i saw and striked a deal.

As for the battery position goes it has the orighnal one on the Drives side while a local fabrication on to the left of the car, when viewed from the drivers seat.

I will get the pictures. BTW how do I get the car shipped to bangalore?? by transport or what, what care should i take (remove hard to find parts, trims etc.) Please guide me.

Cheers

Manish
Old 5th February 2010, 12:04   #32
BHPian

Update

Hello everyone,

Apologise for not posting in a while. With the response I received from all the fiat lovers on team bhp, I have managed to find and fix some more original parts on my select.

1. original tail lights. (was lucky to find them lying in our garage itself. we were missing the lense and i managed a pair with a little help from my mechanic)

2. Number plate lights. (once again, the original from the fiat were lying in the garage)

3. Original horn. (this was a lucky find. Dad was looking for a WW2 jeep horn for our MB and came across this one instead)

Now i am in need of the external fuel cap.

rgds
saif

PS: Karl - those are sharco horns and our fiat came with a magneti marelli key.
Attached Thumbnails
My 1960 Fiat 1100-03.jpg  

My 1960 Fiat 1100-01.jpg  

My 1960 Fiat 1100-02.jpg  

My 1960 Fiat 1100-04.jpg  

Old 5th February 2010, 21:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

@Attari..good you found the tail lights.I guess you dont need mine now.
Old 5th February 2010, 21:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Hi Hillram,

my father was telling me had a word with you the other day and offered to exchange the ones we had earlier, which apparently are correct for your model.

looking forward to meeting you soon...

rgds
saif
Old 5th February 2010, 23:35   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attari View Post
So your the second person I know who's Fiat came with Magneti Marelli keys. Can you post pics of the key if you still have it?
Old 5th February 2010, 23:36   #36
Senior - BHPian

Thats true,your dad called me.Will try to meet tomorrow.
Old 5th February 2010, 23:50   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
So your the second person I know who's Fiat came with Magneti Marelli keys. Can you post pics of the key if you still have it?
Hi,

I have. It still unlocks the car and the boot. the ignition key was changed at some point earlier....

rgds
saif
Attached Thumbnails
My 1960 Fiat 1100-05.jpg  

My 1960 Fiat 1100-06.jpg  

Old 6th February 2010, 00:19   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I have. It still unlocks the car and the boot. the ignition key was changed at some point earlier....

rgds
saif
Wow I always thought the Magnetti Marrelli keys were ignition keys. I never knew they were used on doors and boot locks. You learn something new everyday
Old 6th February 2010, 00:24   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Wow I always thought the Magnetti Marrelli keys were ignition keys. I never knew they were used on doors and boot locks. You learn something new everyday
Your thoughts are perfectly right.

Magnetti Marelli keys are of course meant for ignition keys, if you notice the keys are worked on by a key maker to work on unlocking and locking the door. Atleast the original keys were put to use.

I really love the way that car is preserved in that condition till date, why do you need to restore it Attari buddy, little bit of detailing will surely get it back to concurs condition.
Old 6th February 2010, 10:57   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello everyone,

Apologise for not posting in a while. With the response I received from all the fiat lovers on team bhp, I have managed to find and fix some more original parts on my select.

1. original tail lights. (was lucky to find them lying in our garage itself. we were missing the lense and i managed a pair with a little help from my mechanic)

2. Number plate lights. (once again, the original from the fiat were lying in the garage)

3. Original horn. (this was a lucky find. Dad was looking for a WW2 jeep horn for our MB and came across this one instead)

Now i am in need of the external fuel cap.

rgds
saif

Glad to hear from you, and even more glad to see the goodies fitted on your car. Those tail lights look great, I have not seen that style of reflector before. Does the lens have any part number/marking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
But I still do need yours

Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

rgds
saif
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Your thoughts are perfectly right.

Magnetti Marelli keys are of course meant for ignition keys, if you notice the keys are worked on by a key maker to work on unlocking and locking the door. Atleast the original keys were put to use.
The picture is indeed of the ignition key. Naturally, with time, wear and tear the keys and the barrels lose their original grooves, and all keys begin to work on all locks. I have this bad habit of using one key for most of my Fiats
Old 8th February 2010, 01:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
But I still do need yours

The picture is indeed of the ignition key. Naturally, with time, wear and tear the keys and the barrels lose their original grooves, and all keys begin to work on all locks. I have this bad habit of using one key for most of my Fiats
Well I saw the following key in oue of our clubs car (the one having elevenhundred logo)

My 1960 Fiat 1100-dsc04289.jpg

My 1960 Fiat 1100-dsc04290.jpg

Seems they are not original.

Bye the way guys, i am also in line for select Tail lights. Please do consider me.
Old 8th February 2010, 13:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
hey mole, I was wrong here. the magnetti marrelli key is infact that of the ignition only. over the years its started working on all the locks. Karl was right. The door and the boot had another key, we have it at home and will post a picture of the same asap.

PS: dad had one look at the post and i got a mouthfull for posting inaccurate info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

I really love the way that car is preserved in that condition till date, why do you need to restore it Attari buddy, little bit of detailing will surely get it back to concurs condition.
Hi Pavan,

All the credit goes to my grandmother, whos car it is and then my father...

Restoring is a very harsh word i might have used in the begning of this post. Infact I meant fine tuning the detailing. I now require the external petrol cap for the select to finish the job...

rgds
saif
Old 8th February 2010, 13:56   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
PS: dad had one look at the post and i got a mouthfull for posting inaccurate info.

rgds
saif
Saif,

Do you still have the manuals that came along with the Car?
Old 8th February 2010, 19:23   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Well I saw the following key in oue of our clubs car (the one having elevenhundred logo)

Attachment 283435

Attachment 283436

Seems they are not original.
That is definitely an original key (and hardly used too). It should originally operate the door, boot and petrol cap. The other key would operate only ignition.
Old 8th February 2010, 20:05   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That is definitely an original key (and hardly used too). It should originally operate the door, boot and petrol cap. The other key would operate only ignition.
The other key is the usual affair "Jay" make. But I now know what 2 keys look like. .

Last edited by manishalive : 8th February 2010 at 20:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks