Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 18:34   #46
BANNED

MID LIFE IDENTITY CRISIS - TRUTH DAWNING SLOWLY

Thanks to Prabal, Wasif,Karl , the mole and others who have been on the bulls eye seeing the car first time after i mentioned the car to be an MG.

Today guys, the car reached the tinkers place, deconstruction starts and the moment of truth arrives........................

1) We start with cleaning the data plates on the car = The car was certainly not an MG

2) We tinker a bit on the horn cap of the steering wheel = The car in not an MG

3) We remove the dash board = Now its not from the MG

4) We check the hood monogram = No. Not from the MG

5) We see the ZA deck lid = Its certainly not and not from an MG in any case

ITS A WOLSLEY

Keen and observant eyes of many helped me in probing deeper in detail about this car, and finally the truth dawned. Now i can peacefully continue with the actual car -THE WOLSLEY
Attached Thumbnails
My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_13.47.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_14.09_03.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_14.11.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_14.57.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_14.51_01.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_15.23.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_14.48.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_15.01.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_14.07_01.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_14.49.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p100909_14.09_02.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th September 2009 at 18:42.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:50   #47
Senior - BHPian

Is thatlime green and cream split window in the background from Goa???
Old 10th September 2009, 22:48   #48
Senior - BHPian

Wow, so the Wolseley reveals herself at last .
I think the grille monogram lights up. It used to light up in later models like the 'Ten'. In fact, Wollys were very often ideal chase vehicles for the Police, and the lit emblem used to "strike terror in the hearts of getaway criminals" according to a British motoring journal..
Old 10th September 2009, 23:15   #49
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
err......NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Wow, so the Wolseley reveals herself at last .
I think the grille monogram lights up. It used to light up in later models like the 'Ten'. In fact, Wollys were very often ideal chase vehicles for the Police, and the lit emblem used to "strike terror in the hearts of getaway criminals" according to a British motoring journal..
Yes buddy,

Atleast now i am rest assured,that i am restoring something that i know i am restoring Finally the guessing game is over.

All the chrome parts are now removed, will go in for a complete chrome plating, Mechanically the car is fine now,but had some issues with the new radiator, will be rectified by end of this week.

And for sure will try and light up that monogram, since you've mentioned it. he he....

Will update as per progress....

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th September 2009 at 23:21.
Old 11th September 2009, 00:57   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Amol,the Green and cream splitscreen from Goa Has cargo doors on both sides,and an earlier model than the one in the pic.Very similar colors though.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:27   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see quick progress. What extent of bodywork is required you think? Have you guys decided on a colour scheme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
2) We tinker a bit on the horn cap of the steering wheel = The car in not an MG
The horn button appears to bear the Standard-Triumph flag - perhaps it came from a Vanguard.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:34   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Reminds me of my Wolseley 444 - BML7349, bought in 1979 and sadly sold in 1980. For a moment I thought it was BML7349.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 11th September 2009, 10:05   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Good to see quick progress. What extent of bodywork is required you think? Have you guys decided on a colour scheme?

The horn button appears to bear the Standard-Triumph flag - perhaps it came from a Vanguard.
Progress seems to be quick at the moment, Thankfully the floor is good, no rusting, but the previous paint job is extremely shoddy, lot of rust bubbles all over the body, This one needs to be fully scraped to bare metal before paint work starts.

Not sure about the Triumph flag, need to look one from an Wolsley if its different, Sadly Karl, this car is a mix and match of different cars, but presently planning to take the WOLSLEY route and restore it to almost original condition. Well this might not be closely impossible, since lot of cosmetics are not available for this car presently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Reminds me of my Wolseley 444 - BML7349, bought in 1979 and sadly sold in 1980. For a moment I thought it was BML7349.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Some good car pics from your side would help me sir.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:16   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sadly Karl, this car is a mix and match of different cars, but presently planning to take the WOLSLEY route and restore it to almost original condition. Well this might not be closely impossible, since lot of cosmetics are not available for this car presently.
Don't worry too much about the missing bits at this point. The car is not being prepared for a show, but for the owner to enjoy. As long as she runs well, the major bits like grille bumpers dash etc are in place, with a good paint, upholstry and chrome job the car will be a looker. Little bits and pieces can always follow as and when they turn up. But I don't need to tell you that

Whats the story with the split bus in the back? Pics please.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:09   #55
BANNED

Quote:
Don't worry too much about the missing bits at this point. The car is not being prepared for a show, but for the owner to enjoy. As long as she runs well, the major bits like grille bumpers dash etc are in place, with a good paint, upholstry and chrome job the car will be a looker. Little bits and pieces can always follow as and when they turn up. But I don't need to tell you that
By the day, more of this car is showing up as a Wolsley, even the side trims has the wolsley name engraved on it.

But one of the main problems being, The documents- It says MG, i forsee no troubles taking the wolsley way with the MG document, Totallly confused

The owner wants this to be a show car of a different car, full of extra lights, chrome fittings

Got a few fittings which gel with the settings of this classic. We are now scraping off the existing paint on the car since there are lot of rust spots and bubbling all over the car surface.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:49   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on finally discovering the car's true identity!

Noe can hope for a more OHH REE GEE NAL look on the car!

Quote:
In which case, I'd like to have it once you find an OH REE GEE NAL one for the car, pavan!!
Old 18th September 2009, 10:26   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But one of the main problems being, The documents- It says MG, i forsee no troubles taking the wolsley way with the MG document, Totallly confused
Do the engine and commission numbers match? This is very strange. The car is certainly not an MG.
Old 20th October 2009, 19:37   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Do the engine and commission numbers match? This is very strange. The car is certainly not an MG.
Yes true, based on my recent findings i am continuing the restoration with a Wolsley in mind.

Moved the car to the tinkers place, almost 20 kgs of metal paste comes out of that poor car. wherever the tinker has found a dent he's happily covered it with metal paste. 5 ltrs of kerosene burnt in order to scrape off the paint and over that we have used 2 ltrs of paint remover.

By tomorrow the car will be shiny metal
Attached Thumbnails
My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p191009_15.44.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p191009_15.45.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p191009_15.45_01.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p191009_15.45_02.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p191009_15.45_03.jpg  

My TERRIBLE experience with a British-1954 Wolsley-THE END-p191009_15.46.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2009, 20:25   #59
Senior - BHPian

Why have you let part of the trim like the rear plate light etc still on it ?
Old 20th October 2009, 21:42   #60
BHPian

Hai kadam its A N wolsely was this car parked near bearys hotel off m.g road almost ten years back because there was an englishman called graigjones had this wolsely and an 1953 300s and an humber supersnipe parked in a workshop run by the late mani was aslo called Buickmani he was working for george oaks now the garage is closed down it was next to oriental building NO 1 M.G road

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks