Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:00   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President

Here is a 1974 Premier President. Its a blue color in original paint, done 62000 kms. Few parts are changed in the car like the dynamo, right-side indicator, rear tail lamp. It has all original steering, combination switch, rear view mirror, speedometer, original bench seats, white walled tyres with original wheel caps, original grill with vertical PAL logo, flat side beading etc. The car was delivered from Sundaram Motors, Bangalore. Here are few pictures of the OH REE G NAL 1974 Premier president.
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-sdc13098.jpg  

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-picture-012.jpg  

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-dsc09228.jpg  

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-sdc13094.jpg  

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-dsc09227.jpg  

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-sdc13093.jpg  

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-picture-013.jpg  

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-sdc13097.jpg  

Bangalore Fiat 1100 Club-Original 1974 Premier President-dsc09235.jpg  

arun1100 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

awesome is the owner a member of tbhp?

i mis-read the PAL logo as FIAT
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:21   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Here is a 1974 Premier President. Its a blue color in original paint, done 62000 kms. Few parts are changed in the car like the dynamo, right-side indicator, rear tail lamp. It has all original steering, combination switch, rear view mirror, speedometer, original bench seats, white walled tyres with original wheel caps, original grill with vertical PAL logo, flat side beading etc. The car was delivered from Sundaram Motors, Bangalore. Here are few pictures of the OH REE G NAL 1974 Premier president.
That is indeed a very well preserved car! I own an identical one.

Of particular interest to me are the front and rear windscreen rubbers - flat profile with no groove and no trim - impossible to source today. Even the number plate appears to be the original style with pressed border, popular at the time.

You must source a set of clear lenses for the front indicator assemblies, they are still available from Sweet Trade. Also source a set of Lucas headlights, preferably Made in England but difficult to come across these days. You should be able to find equally good units, marked 'Foreign glass'. The tyres are 'medium' whitewalls (I have similar goodyear units on my 78 Padmini) - this profile was available for only a short time.

Can you get us a good clear close up shot of the air cleaner? We can try and reproduce that sticker. I notice even the wiper washer fluid bag is intact. Superb!

Also do give us some good shots of the door panels, seats etc for reference. That music system and console is an eyesore - it must go.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even i mis read the PAL logo as Fiat as the badge looks the same...Is it an orginal PAL badge...i thought PAL badges looked different.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:28   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on such a lovely, original car!

I'm sure you intend to preserve her as she is (or even better with refitting the original side-indicators etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Even i mis read the PAL logo as Fiat as the badge looks the same...Is it an orginal PAL badge...i thought PAL badges looked different.
Ram, the PAL badge is very much original- that's how it originally was on the President. The following year, when the padmini was introduced, they changed the shape to the more familiar diamond shaped one that contiuned till the end.

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd July 2009 at 11:31.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:30   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Quote:
This logo of PAL was offered only in the President. Premier was manufacturing cars under the Fiat name till 72, when the liscence was not renewed. Hence the following cars were badged Premier. In roughly 72-74 they simply used the Fiat logo and superimposed the PAL script. In 75 with the Padmini they moved onto the conventional diamond shape with a few other indigenous changes.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
awesome is the owner a member of tbhp?

My friend owns this car. I too am very familiar with all the aspects of the car. It is an original PAL logo. But doesnt look as good as the FIAT one. Fiat logo has wavy lines in between the letters but the PAL logo is plain inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That is indeed a very well preserved car! I own an identical one.

Of particular interest to me are the front and rear windscreen rubbers - flat profile with no groove and no trim - impossible to source today. Even the number plate appears to be the original style with pressed border, popular at the time.

You must source a set of clear lenses for the front indicator assemblies, they are still available from Sweet Trade. Also source a set of Lucas headlights, preferably Made in England but difficult to come across these days. You should be able to find equally good units, marked 'Foreign glass'. The tyres are 'medium' whitewalls (I have similar goodyear units on my 78 Padmini) - this profile was available for only a short time.

Can you get us a good clear close up shot of the air cleaner? We can try and reproduce that sticker. I notice even the wiper washer fluid bag is intact. Superb!

Also do give us some good shots of the door panels, seats etc for reference. That music system and console is an eyesore - it must go.
The windscreen rubbers are indeed very rare to find. I will try sourcing the clear front parking lamps.

I will post some more pictures soon.
Quote:
It is original PAL badge. May be it came only with President. I think PAL wanted the President to look same like the Fiat cars. Notice the grill too looks like the one on Fiats.
arun1100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

My dad bought a brand new identical model car in 1973 it was a ver very unusual color dark blue green with uphlostry which was in the same shade but much much lighter almost skyble green. We ahd till 75k kilometers and sold it in 1981 or 83. There pics bring back fond memories thanks arun

i think the orignal glove box opening lever is replaced with a lockable key type retrofit, she is great though

Last edited by canonball : 22nd July 2009 at 11:45.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

The dealer had gifted the big red horns with the car, shown in the pictures.
arun1100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2009, 12:47   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
The dealer had gifted the big red horns with the car, shown in the pictures.
Those are Jalwa brand, locally manufactured. They were very popular in the day, gave great period sound. Used to be available in the 70's for precisely Rs. 74 I'm, told. I bought my last pair for 600.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:15   #11
BHPian

The last Fiat 1100Ds and early Premier Presidents made in 1972 had a mix of Fiat and Premier items and badging. From what I seem to remember, in the last batch of 1100Ds the PAL logo found it's way to the grille and the horn button but the 'Z-type' Fiat 1100D badge at the back remained. The hubcaps also sported Fiat. Sorry, Fiat gurus if I'm wrong.

Nicely preserved car this, Arun.

Last edited by Prabal : 22nd July 2009 at 13:32. Reason: shifted comma!
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:27   #12
BHPian

Arun, that's a very very well maintained fiat, and I like it even more because it's in stock state.
Old 22nd July 2009, 13:49   #13
BHPian

Premier President

Wonderfully preserved car, I must say! Congrats! Congrats again!

I'm sure this car has mostly been kept indoors to look so OH REE G NAL and PERIOD. Except a few minor non-OH REE G NAL fittings (reversible though) like side indicators, front orange parking lenses, glove box lock, centre console with deck, mud flaps and ammeter on the cut out dash, the car is simply superb.
As Karl mentioned above....the front and rear glass rubbers are still in place which makes it very exclusive on a 37 year old car and YES they are very rare to procure today.

Feels so good to find another PREMIER PRESIDENT existing in Natina Blue. Time to start a PREMIER PRESIDENT CLUB now. What say guys?

Last edited by President : 22nd July 2009 at 13:57.
Old 22nd July 2009, 14:03   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
The last Fiat 1100Ds and early Premier Presidents made in 1972 had a mix of Fiat and Premier items and badging. From what I seem to remember, in the last batch of 1100Ds the PAL logo found it's way to the grille and the horn button but the 'Z-type' Fiat 1100D badge at the back remained. The hubcaps also sported Fiat. Sorry, Fiat gurus if I'm wrong.
I never saw that combo, I remember you mentioning it before. Quite possible in transition phases.

The last of the Delights that I know of did sport a couple of curios, like President style plain steel wheelcaps but with 'FIAT' script on them instead of PAL. The 3 meter cluster was replaced with a one piece unit like the President, but black faced. I have 2 identical Delights, a 71 and a 72, with identical spec though. Go figure
Old 22nd July 2009, 17:08   #15
BANNED

I have driven this car and seen it personally...... it was a complete shocker for me. So many things are original from showroom.
also the engine is really silent and smooth. it also has a showroom fitted PIONEER music deck. Original mats and whole lot more

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks