Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The windscreen is from a Fiat/Premier?
Headlight rings from an Amby?
What is wrong with the door alignment?
A couple more things to add-
The door handles are from a Fiat as well
And the hubcaps are from a Standard Gazel (stampro, do try and flick these off when you get a chance, Pune_bike would like them! )

Well, true its not really a 'virgin' car...but as can be seen from the board (and stampro did mention this before when he'd uploaded pics. of said car earlier in another thread) it's in use as a driving school car, so definitely undergoes a lot of horrible mutations until it's (terminal) end.
Old 2nd August 2009, 08:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
A couple more things to add-
The door handles are from a Fiat as well
And the hubcaps are from a Standard Gazel
Stanher,Harit you have become too professionals looking for perfectionism.

Sit back with a cup of Green Tea and enjoy looking at the curves of the wheel arches, Bonnet or the boot lid.

From the front grill we can see the amby evolving.

And the car is not for sale.
Old 2nd August 2009, 13:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

anjanji, regarding the place of manufacture of the first hindustan 10,I still have my doubts.
regarding engine displacement I stand corrected.
but there was a minor difference between the engines of 1954 hindustan newlook and 1955 landmaster
By the way Hindustan10 commands more value in south India vis a vis Morris saloons.
a morris minor is available between 60000-180000/-.while a good fully restored Hindustan 10 will not be available below Rs.150000/-
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:25   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Stanher,Harit you have become too professionals looking for perfectionism.
I reckoned it was obvious I was just making a little jest at harit's post pointing out the "imperfections" in the car!

Which is why I even mentioned in my same post that the car, being a driving-school one, would obviously look the way it is.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:03   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What should make this car valueable, desireable, collectable, is the fact that this is probably the first car to have an indigenous made-for-india nametag. Is that not reason enough to collect? And very sadly, between this car and the equivalent Morris, usually people would asay the Morris is more valueable.
I would tend to agree with you Karl, that as time goes by indegenous or native objects worthy of collection would appreciate over equivalent imports of that age within the country. Take for example the case of American antiques from the late 18th century. When I was student in New York and moonlighting with several art galleries and collections. I realised that American furniture of the late 18th century was deemed more valuable than British and French imports of the same era. However this was not always the case and earlier in the last century European antiques were priced a lot higher than their American counterparts.

To sum it all up with passage of time all the Hindustan 10's, Standard 10's and other miscellaneous cars made exclusively for India will have a higher value than their direct import counterparts. This is what research says and may or may not apply to cars, but I am sure you're happy to hear that.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:24   #21
BHPian

There is one Hindustan 10 in Thane with Mr. Naval Katrak who is also a member of HVOCT i.e. Heritage Vehicle Owner's Club of Thane.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:31   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrishikesh View Post
There is one Hindustan 10 in Thane with Mr. Naval Katrak who is also a member of HVOCT i.e. Heritage Vehicle Owner's Club of Thane.
If I am not mistaken that car is a later Hindusthan 14, black colour.
Old 4th August 2009, 18:57   #23
BHPian

Anybody seen Morris-10 M in Bangalore, I learned in Hyd, Sudhakar has one painted flashy green.
Old 4th August 2009, 19:32   #24
BHPian

I've never seen or heard of the HM 10 before. I like it. I would like to have one and would chose it over the Morris.
Byas
Old 4th August 2009, 19:46   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
If I am not mistaken that car is a later Hindusthan 14, black colour.
HVOCT
Right Karl , after all how can you ever be wrong? The car BLI 1021 belongs to Mr Naval and Mrs Malini Katrak of HVOCT (our club) and is a Hindusthan 14. Incidentally, I too am a member here and my mighty Landmaster also gets featured with me standing beside it on this website.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 4th August 2009 at 19:48.
Old 5th August 2009, 00:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

My take on these cars is that pre Morris Minor Hindustan cars are becoming very rare. In fact most of the post war sedans like Austin, Morris, Wolseley etc are disappearing because for some reason they were not considered collectable. Now these Hindustan's have more or less a rarity value. But appreciation will most likely be slow.
For the sake of having an early Indian vehicle, one can collect these. I do not know if all the body dies were imported into India, or was it just an assembly from imported parts. This point is important, because many other cars were assembled in India much before the 'Hindustan"

Cheers harit
Old 5th August 2009, 02:02   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
To sum it all up with passage of time all the Hindustan 10's, Standard 10's and other miscellaneous cars made exclusively for India will have a higher value than their direct import counterparts.
Sorry anjan, but fortunately or unfortunately, Standard 10s certainly weren't made exclusively for India- they were very much British, CKD-built here! Only at the most, the badging and certain cosmetics (eg. in the case of Pennants) varied.

We could say that the Heralds post 1965 were in the "made for India" category, though.
Old 5th August 2009, 02:19   #28
BHPian

I learned that Morris 10M were come to India in parts and assembled in HM labels were changed to Hindustan. Morris 10 M produced from 1938-48 Post war Morris 10 M have cosmetic changes in the front grill. Karl has posted some where earlier very interesting article about Hindustan-48 (Morris 10 M) was initially priced at Rs.7000/= when new. I am sure some more Morris-10M survive in India, we will find soon. I was wondering this Ashok Leyland Co. actually open to manufacture or assemble Austin, but it was switch to Trucks & buses later on. I saw once picture of Austin of England A40 were assembled in Ashok Leyland factory near Madras.

There was also interesting fact is that body shell of Morris 8 E series is used with extension of chassis and soup-up engine of Morris 10M with enhancement of power, were used to design MG Y series.

Interesting information:
Sister Cars
Attached Thumbnails
The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-sister1.jpg  

Old 15th January 2013, 19:48   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare

Posted a picture on this link of a Hindustan 10 rotting in Bangalore. This picture was found on FB.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3016280
Old 22nd March 2013, 18:21   #30
BHPian

Re: The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare

This 1948 Hindustan 10 in Hyderabad awaits a complete overhaul. A list of works & spares needed is available. Help is sought. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-1948-hindustan-10.jpg  

The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-mohammeds-1948-hindustan-10-front-view.jpg  

The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-mohammeds-1948-hindustan-10-rear-view.jpg  

The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-dashboard-speedo-hindustan-10.jpg  

The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-1948-hindustan10-ids.jpg  

Last edited by Vintage Khan : 22nd March 2013 at 18:27.
Vintage Khan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks