Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2009, 22:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare

The dawn of the Indian Car Industry was signalled in 1948 with the arrival of the Hindusthan 10 from the Uttarpara plant of Hindusthan (it was Hindusthan and later became Hindustan Motors) Motors Ltd. For me the first ever car with the “Made in India" tag, the 1948, Hindustan 10 (based on the 1947 Morris 10 Series M) is the All Time Great Indian Classic Car. It has though not survived the vicissitudes of time. One finds more Morris 8’s and Austin 8’s and 10’s surviving, as compared to the Hindustan 10 today. During its times there were so many of them. The Hindusthan 10 is becoming rarer.
Bigger sister to the Morris Eight, the Hindusthan (Morris) Ten had a larger 1140 cc side valve engine with a four speed transmission that gave the car a top speed of 112 km/h.
Here too, at teambhp very rarely do we come across posts featuring this Great Car!
Pictures featuring the Morris 10 from Home | Phil Seed's Virtual Car Museum
The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-morris10seriesm.jpg

The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-morris-10.jpg

The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-morris-10a.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th July 2009 at 22:51.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2009, 16:33   #2
BHPian

The MG T series XPAG engine used the same block as the Hindusthan 10, except for some cosmetic differences, such as an MG logo cast onto the left side. In the eighties, it was not uncommon for MGTC owners to buy a Hindusthan 10 engine as a spare. They were still available then.
tonrag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2009, 17:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The dawn of the Indian Car Industry was signalled in 1948 with the arrival of the Hindusthan 10 from the Uttarpara plant of Hindusthan (it was Hindusthan and later became Hindustan Motors) Motors Ltd. For me the first ever car with the “Made in India" tag, the 1948, Hindustan 10 (based on the 1947 Morris 10 Series M) is the All Time Great Indian Classic Car. It has though not survived the vicissitudes of time. One finds more Morris 8’s and Austin 8’s and 10’s surviving, as compared to the Hindustan 10 today. During its times there were so many of them. The Hindusthan 10 is becoming rarer.
Bigger sister to the Morris Eight, the Hindusthan (Morris) Ten had a larger 1140 cc side valve engine with a four speed transmission that gave the car a top speed of 112 km/h.
Here too, at teambhp very rarely do we come across posts featuring this Great Car!
Pictures featuring the Morris 10 from Home | Phil Seed's Virtual Car Museum
Attachment 167527

Attachment 167528

Attachment 167529
anjanji,
sorry to correct you. the HINDUSTAN10 came with a 1140cc OHV engine , not side valve.also, it was assembled(came skd) in Gujarath,since the UTTARPARA plant was not ready then.
the hindustan 14(MORRIS OXFORD MO) came with a 1387 ccside valve engine.it was widely considered as a retrograde step in those days
Old 31st July 2009, 18:27   #4
BHPian

Hindustan-10 or Hindustan-48 is reliable car, smooth running silent car, very few survive now. So far one of our team member Veldeep have one (Orange/beige) and another found in Assam. Interested to have one if
possible.

Cheers!
Old 31st July 2009, 18:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Note from Mod: Post deleted. Commercial solicitation is expressly forbidden on the forum. If you have anything to sell - use the Classifieds section clearly.

Last edited by theMAG : 31st July 2009 at 19:14.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Received Infraction
Old 31st July 2009, 20:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

There is a black one Hindustan 10 in poona, I dont know exactly where but I was taken to see the car, nice body , some interior stuff missing but Damn just cant remember the name of the place. The owner had a shop sellling parts and the car was parked right there. The car was not for sale, the owner was infatuated with it. But naturally!
Old 31st July 2009, 20:18   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
anjanji,
sorry to correct you. the HINDUSTAN10 came with a 1140cc OHV engine , not side valve.also, it was assembled(came skd) in Gujarath,since the UTTARPARA plant was not ready then.
the hindustan 14(MORRIS OXFORD MO) came with a 1387 ccside valve engine.it was widely considered as a retrograde step in those days
Ajayji i am afraid a few facts as stated by you are not right. Please view:

Car History 4U - History of Indian Motor Car / Automobile Manufacturers
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...s-india-2.html

HM started as a company in Okha, Gujarat in 1942 and they shifted operation in the late 1940's to Uttarpara, W.B.. Exactly in 1948, the first Hindusthan 10 rolled out of the Uttarpara assembly line.
As regards the engine it was the Morris XPAG 1140cc/ 37 bhp/ 4 speed manual/Over Head Valve that it shared with its stablemate the Wolseley 10 and I stand corrected here. It was not a side valve as stated by me earlier.Whereas the Hindustan/Morris 10 had a semi unitary construction, the Wolseley had a substantial steel section chassis with cruciform bracing. Many of the steel body pressings were shared.
Name:  1946.morris.ten.series.m.arp.jpg
Views: 22639
Size:  121.5 KB
Picture source Wikipedia
Again the Hindusthan 14 had the 1476cc side valve 4 speed engine and not the 1387cc engine as stated by you.
Please view to get this fact right:
Morris Oxford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 31st July 2009 at 20:26.
Old 31st July 2009, 20:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

there is a single owner car somewhere in Tenkasi .I saw it in a movie by that name which was shot there
Old 1st August 2009, 00:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

While I fully agree that this car is really an endangered species, what should it be worth? And is it really collectible? I really wonder. Those who have the car, I find that they are quite nicely restored/maintained though some colour schemes are a matter of taste.
So we should go ahead and list the survivors, but would I ever yearn for one? Today not, tomorrow who knows?

Cheers harit
Old 1st August 2009, 10:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
While I fully agree that this car is really an endangered species, what should it be worth? And is it really collectible? I really wonder. Those who have the car, I find that they are quite nicely restored/maintained though some colour schemes are a matter of taste.
So we should go ahead and list the survivors, but would I ever yearn for one? Today not, tomorrow who knows?

Cheers harit
What should make this car valueable, desireable, collectable, is the fact that this is probably the first car to have an indigenous made-for-india nametag. Is that not reason enough to collect? And very sadly, between this car and the equivalent Morris, usually people would asay the Morris is more valueable.
Old 1st August 2009, 10:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
What should make this car valueable, desireable, collectable, is the fact that this is probably the first car to have an indigenous made-for-india nametag. Is that not reason enough to collect? And very sadly, between this car and the equivalent Morris, usually people would asay the Morris is more valueable.

I would say that even though they were made in India and had the first made for India nametag it wouldn't make it that valueable.There were many more and much better in performane,looks and the standard equipment that the other comapnies offered you as the basic standards.
I would would think that seing todays market conditions this car in the future would become a car someone who would like to have but not as compared to the cars with the Morris tags.This is because people believe that there is a difference in quality standards which may or may not be true thats why people are more interested in the Morris cars.
Old 1st August 2009, 12:55   #12
BHPian

I any day prefer collections that work around a theme - American muscle cars, British sports cars, cars of the people, etc. So for someone who is interested in solely collecting Indian made cars, the Hindusthan 10 would be a valuable car!
On the same thought, shouldn't we start a thread on what would constitute our dream collections? Or is there already a similar thread?
tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2009, 16:57   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
I any day prefer collections that work around a theme - American muscle cars, British sports cars, cars of the people, etc. So for someone who is interested in solely collecting Indian made cars, the Hindusthan 10 would be a valuable car!
I'm glad you understand what I meant to say. Since my fondness has always been more towards the 'lesser' Indian cars, this is a very important car for me. Perhaps one day I will be lucky to get my hands on one.
Old 1st August 2009, 17:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post

Again the Hindusthan 14 had the 1476cc side valve 4 speed engine and not the 1387cc engine as stated by you.
Yes H 14 can be seen (see photo) but not a H10
Attached Thumbnails
The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-hind14frontzm0.jpg  

The Endangered Hindustan 10 is Becoming Very Rare-hind14rearcc8.jpg  

Old 1st August 2009, 18:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampro View Post
Yes H 14 can be seen (see photo) but not a H10
The windscreen is from a Fiat/Premier?
Headlight rings from an Amby?
What is wrong with the door alignment?