Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 21:06   #166
BHPian

Thanks everybody, I'm quite overwhelmed! Yes its over the hill from now on, I turned 50 today. I also realised that the combined age of all my cars is 378 years, which makes me a stripling by comparison. Over the past few months I have immensely enjoyed the posts, particularly on the vintage and classic forum. Its been a pleasure to learn from Harit, Karlos, Wasif, DKG, Travancore, Julian, Pavan, Awini and a host of others as they have discussed, argued, concurred and disagreed their way through a fascinating array of subjects.
Hope to start a couple of threads, one on a recent trip visiting museums across Europe and the UK and the other on my swan song restoration. What car? I hear you ask. Suffice to say at this point in time that it is a BMW, or bits of it at least; a complete comprehensive basket case. You will question my sanity if you saw it.

Last edited by tonrag : 6th October 2009 at 21:07.
tonrag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2009, 21:57   #167
Team-BHP Support

ahhhh! i like the last bit of your post, desperately waiting for the swan song.
Old 6th October 2009, 22:15   #168
BANNED

Many Happy Returns of the day. Hopefully one of the several years of some great restorations.
Old 6th October 2009, 23:38   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Thanks everybody, I'm quite overwhelmed! Yes its over the hill from now on, I turned 50 today. I also realised that the combined age of all my cars is 378 years, which makes me a stripling by comparison. Over the past few months I have immensely enjoyed the posts, particularly on the vintage and classic forum. Its been a pleasure to learn from Harit, Karlos, Wasif, DKG, Travancore, Julian, Pavan, Awini and a host of others as they have discussed, argued, concurred and disagreed their way through a fascinating array of subjects.
Hope to start a couple of threads, one on a recent trip visiting museums across Europe and the UK and the other on my swan song restoration. What car? I hear you ask. Suffice to say at this point in time that it is a BMW, or bits of it at least; a complete comprehensive basket case. You will question my sanity if you saw it.
Hey Tonrag, I turned 50 in August. If I add the combined age of my cars.............. BTW, Beemer means BMW. I am onto you. More you shall reveal, I am aware about part of your European mission.

Enjoy the last minutes of your day!!!

Cheers harit
Old 7th October 2009, 01:33   #170
Senior - BHPian

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday
Old 26th October 2009, 12:34   #171
Senior - BHPian

Times of India, Blore, 26-Oct-2009 (Related article of the Roerichs)

Paintbrush for Roerich estate?

Russian Telecom Firm Wants To Restore Paintings, Property As A ‘Social Gesture’

Deepa Bhasthi | TNN

Bangalore: Tragedy and a hint of mystery wrapped in glamour — talented couple Svetoslov Roerich and Devika Rani’s life was all this. Missing heirlooms, shoddy sale of property and ruins of an estate — the beautiful couple left behind many loose ends and a disputed will. The Roerich
estate also included several hundreds of his paintings, each estimated to be worth thousands of rupees.
The paintings, along with the rest of their estate, have remained in ruins for long. Now, a Russian telecom company, MTS, is in talks with the Karnataka government to restore the paintings and give a facelift to the Tataguni estate on Kanakpura Road.
President and CEO of MTS, Vsevolod Rozanov told TOI that it was only recently that they got to know that the paintings were in a state of neglect. Emphasizing that the company had nothing to do with the litigation surrounding Roerich and Devika Rani’s will, he said they want to support restoration work as a ‘a social gesture’ and in a bid to ‘strengthen the cultural ties between India and Russia’.
The Russian government has for long been interested in taking over the custody of Roerich’s works, recognized as one of the world’s greatest painters. But due to the litigation regarding the will, Karnataka has staved off any attempts at restoring and exhibiting his works.
Rozanov said that they were in talks with the state government to take it forward. “Russian delegates from the Russian embassy have visited the estate and the final modalities are being worked out. We have set aside Rs 50 lakh as of now for restoration. In a week or two we will decide whether to transfer the fund to the government or make the payment for restoration,” he added.
The court will, of course, have to be informed, given that the whole issue is still under dispute, Rozanov added. The actual process will again take longer. But there is at least a step in the direction of bringing the precious paintings to light again.

ROERICH-DEVIKA RANI STORY

Devika Rani, one of the most beautiful actresses in the country, married Svetoslav Roerich, the painter son of equally illustrious parents, Helena and Nicholas Roerich.
The couple settled down at their Tataguni estate on Kanakapura Road in the latter years of their lives. The litigation over their valuables from the estate is before the courts.

(Left) A painting of Devika Rani by husband Svetoslov Roerich. (Top) Another painting by Svetoslov Roerich at an exhibition
Old 25th November 2009, 10:40   #172
Senior - BHPian

here are pictures of another Fleetmaster restoration, before and after. The car was picked up from Chor Bazar and subsequently restored. This happened many years ago. And it was not lightening quick, there was no urgency. It is a Canadian model.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-fleet-1.jpg  

A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-fleet-2.jpg  

A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-fleet-3.jpg  

A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-fleet-5.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2009, 16:17   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
here are pictures of another Fleetmaster restoration, before and after. The car was picked up from Chor Bazar and subsequently restored. This happened many years ago. And it was not lightening quick, there was no urgency. It is a Canadian model.
Thanks for sharing. I see a red Fiat 850 (?) in the back - any details/pics on that car?
Old 25th November 2009, 16:22   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
here are pictures of another Fleetmaster restoration, before and after.
Cheers harit
The pics seems to be almost a decade old.
Old 29th November 2009, 08:43   #175
BHPian

This is a 47 model. Typical of American cars, there were minor cosmetic changes in the Fleetmasters every year. The 48 model had a central vertical nose piece on the grille.
Old 29th November 2009, 20:26   #176
Senior - BHPian

All she needs is white wall tyres.
Old 29th November 2009, 22:11   #177
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a 47 model. Typical of American cars, there were minor cosmetic changes in the Fleetmasters every year. The 48 model had a central vertical nose piece on the grille.
Also if I'm not wrong, they also had full-length chrome strips on the sides of the bonnet? Like the one in in Goa, in someone else's pics. posted in this thread?
Old 30th November 2009, 07:38   #178
Senior - BHPian

Does this comes with a search light or shikar light? (left side window next to rear view mirrors).
Old 1st December 2009, 16:01   #179
BHPian

Quote:
they also had full-length chrome strips on the sides of the bonnet?
Yes Stanher, the 1942 and 1946 models had a full length chrome strip along the bonnet, but the 47 and 48 models didn't. The 42 model also had a nose piece and a different treatment to the parking lights. The 46 model had no nose piece and the horizontal bars of the grille did not protrude beyond its edge, which was the case with the 47 and 48 models. The 47 model also did not have a nose piece, but the 48 model came with one, as in the 42 model! Confused? I've attached photos that would give one an idea.

For your interest, given below is a table that gives details of production of Chevy cars during the forties.

Year
Total Prod Model Designation
1940 116,618 Master 6 KB
30,945 Special De Luxe KA
232,510 Master De Luxe 6 KH

602,327 Special De Luxe 6 AH
Master De Luxe 6 AG

84,806 Stylemaster 6 BG
Fleetmaster 6 BF
76,385 Fleetline 6 BH

946 168,963 Stylemaster 6 DJ
Fleetmaster 6 DK
Fleetline 6 DK

947 193,021 Stylemaster 6 EJ
Fleetmaster 6 EK
Fleetline 6 EK

171,593 Stylemaster 6 FJ
Fleetmaster 6 FK
Fleetline 6 FK

271,139 Special 6 GJ
De Luxe 6 GK

All these models came with the basic 6 cylinder engine with 216 cu in displacement and after 1942, churned out 90 BHP.

the 1942 Fleetmaster

A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-42-fleetmaster.jpg

The 1946 model. No cars were manufactured in 43 to 45.

A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-46chev.jpg

The 47 version of the Fleetmaster. Note the changed grille, but no nosepiece

A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-47-fleetmaster.jpg

Finally, the 48 version. The horizontal bars protrude beyond the edge of the grille as in the 47 grille. And there is a nose piece.

A lightning quick restoration - '48 Chevy Fleetmaster-picture-159.jpg

Last edited by Dippy : 1st December 2009 at 16:50. Reason: Placing attachments to match the captions.
Old 1st December 2009, 19:16   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes Stanher, the 1942 and 1946 models had a full length chrome strip along the bonnet, but the 47 and 48 models didn't.
The 1946 model.
Thanks tonrag! My bad, I was actually referring to the fleetmaster in Goa as a '48 model! That would actually be a '46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks