Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2009, 11:58   #61
BHPian

Hey, I am Avinash from Bangalore, and am looking for some spares (in fact, anything that I can lay my hands on) for my 1960 Standard 10 Companion. Specifically, I need a steering box badly, door / window beadings, and some suspension parts would also help. In fact, it also needs some minor restoration, but have been delaying it so that I can get some spares and then get into it. For some time now, I have been looking for a donor car. Somehow missed this thread earlier, or else may be I would have been very eager to pick up this car Arun has mentioned in the gujiri.. If anyone comes across such a car lying somewhere around Bangalore - Mysore region, please PM me. Btw, Arun / Sidman, do you guys drop by at the gujiri once in a way? Please keep me in mind in case you spot a Standard car again. I also would like to visit the gujiri to check out availability of spares myself. How do I get there? I stay in Malleshwaram. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Oh thank god it was saved. I was in the Gujiri that morning at 6 when the car was there. There were two more ambys to be broken. Few guys were pushing one amby(to be broken) to park it next to the Pennant and meanwhile they lost control of the amby and it went and banged the Pennant. I did not care then as i thought Pennant was to be broken. Now feeling sad for it.
Old 5th October 2009, 12:45   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_hillman View Post
Hey, I am Avinash from Bangalore, and am looking for some spares (in fact, anything that I can lay my hands on) for my 1960 Standard 10 Companion. Specifically, I need a steering box badly, door / window beadings, and some suspension parts would also help. In fact, it also needs some minor restoration, but have been delaying it so that I can get some spares and then get into it. For some time now, I have been looking for a donor car. Somehow missed this thread earlier, or else may be I would have been very eager to pick up this car Arun has mentioned in the gujiri.. If anyone comes across such a car lying somewhere around Bangalore - Mysore region, please PM me. Btw, Arun / Sidman, do you guys drop by at the gujiri once in a way? Please keep me in mind in case you spot a Standard car again. I also would like to visit the gujiri to check out availability of spares myself. How do I get there? I stay in Malleshwaram. Thanks in advance.
Hi Avinash, Good to know that you are planning to restore a Standard 10 Companion. Team-Bhpians will definitely help you out here. There are few Mumbai and Hyderabadi guys out here who love Standard cars'. Hope they will help you.

Sidman and me do visit Gujiri very frequently. Sidman visits for Lamby parts and me for Fiat parts. As you stay in Malleshwaram, its not that far for you to visit Gujiri daily and get some acquaintance with the Gujiri guys. Gujiri is located near Shivajinagar Bus stand, next to St. Marys Basilica. As I stay in Jayamahal, I too can join you .
Old 5th October 2009, 13:55   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
for my 1960 Standard 10 Companion. Specifically, I need a steering box badly, door / window beadings, and some suspension parts would also help.
Welcome to the club! Good to meet another standard enthusiast in the country!

Do take time out to upload some pics./more info on your companion in the STANDARD CARS IN INDIA thread. This way we could help you out with what all needs to be done on the car/what is done wrong etc.

I myself own a '62 Companion also to be restored. Besides a restored Pennnant.

BTW, by door/window beadings, you mean the glass channels, right? Because the companion did not come with side beadings/trim on the body, unlike the pennant.

I do have a pair of front shocks of a companion (sourced from Bangalore actually) but would need them as spares. I do have an extra "Companion" tail-gate monogram (bought from ebay UK) to spare if you need one.
Old 5th October 2009, 14:37   #64
BHPian

Thanks Stanher and Arun, feels really good to be among such like minded people. Sure, I will post a few pictures of my Standard over the weekend. It is currently in my Mysore home. It is mechanically in sound condition except for some noise in the suspension. In fact, I drove it to Mysore for Dasara. Yes, I meant the glass channels and also the hard beadings along the door frame (for example along the centre of the door frame when you step in). I remember this was made of a somewhat flexible plastic with metal clippings all along to hold on to the frame. It was also striped like a self-design. Sometime ago, around 2000-2001 time, we had that stripped off and put new ones, but these are bad. And I had retained the old one, but is lost now.

I even had the original steering box. But while I was away on work for a year or so, my brother apparently got lured by a mechanic who converted the steering to herald-type (looks more of a custom design) and looted the original steering box. Minus these, the car is in completely original condition including the seat upholstery!

Anyway, will be back soon with some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Welcome to the club! Good to meet another standard enthusiast in the country!

Do take time out to upload some pics./more info on your companion in the STANDARD CARS IN INDIA thread. This way we could help you out with what all needs to be done on the car/what is done wrong etc.

I myself own a '62 Companion also to be restored. Besides a restored Pennnant.

BTW, by door/window beadings, you mean the glass channels, right? Because the companion did not come with side beadings/trim on the body, unlike the pennant.

I do have a pair of front shocks of a companion (sourced from Bangalore actually) but would need them as spares. I do have an extra "Companion" tail-gate monogram (bought from ebay UK) to spare if you need one.
Old 5th October 2009, 15:50   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Avinash, Good to know that you are planning to restore a Standard 10 Companion. Team-Bhpians will definitely help you out here. There are few Mumbai and Hyderabadi guys out here who love Standard cars'. Hope they will help you.

Sidman and me do visit Gujiri very frequently. Sidman visits for Lamby parts and me for Fiat parts. As you stay in Malleshwaram, its not that far for you to visit Gujiri daily and get some acquaintance with the Gujiri guys. Gujiri is located near Shivajinagar Bus stand, next to St. Marys Basilica. As I stay in Jayamahal, I too can join you .
Great Avinash! We'll definitely help you...like Arun said, TBHP members are very helpful. I haven't gone to gujiri for sometime, but I absolutely love that place...the things you see there at times! My Lambretta is done, so no need for any parts for now. However, Arun and Manish are looking for Fiat parts, and I think you should join up with them, Happy hunting and happy restoring! Keep us updated too...
Old 5th October 2009, 16:22   #66
BHPian

Hey Sidman, your red and white Lambretta looks superb. I have been looking, although not actively for a good lambretta for a while now. Especially when I see a nice colour combo like this one, I too feel like having one. Came across a good one a few months ago for 25K (think it was early '70s), but was gone before I could act. Thanks, will PM Arun and co-ordinate for the gujri visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidman View Post
Great Avinash! We'll definitely help you...like Arun said, TBHP members are very helpful. I haven't gone to gujiri for sometime, but I absolutely love that place...the things you see there at times! My Lambretta is done, so no need for any parts for now. However, Arun and Manish are looking for Fiat parts, and I think you should join up with them, Happy hunting and happy restoring! Keep us updated too...
Old 5th October 2009, 19:14   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sidman, your red and white Lambretta looks superb. I have been looking, although not actively for a good lambretta for a while now. Especially when I see a nice colour combo like this one, I too feel like having one. Came across a good one a few months ago for 25K (think it was early '70s), but was gone before I could act. Thanks, will PM Arun and co-ordinate for the gujri visit.
Hey Sidman's Lamby is Blue and White! Its just restored. Check out the pics in Bangalore Classic Scooter Club Thread. Sorry
Old 6th October 2009, 09:54   #68
BHPian

Hey.. I noticed a Red and White Lambretta in his profile page.. and so got confused! Even the Blue and White is a winner! Cheers!

Quote:
Hey Sidman's Lamby is Blue and White! Its just restored. Check out the pics in Bangalore Classic Scooter Club Thread. Sorry
Old 6th October 2009, 12:18   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Hey.. I noticed a Red and White Lambretta in his profile page.. and so got confused! Even the Blue and White is a winner! Cheers!

Sorry about that! I thought profile pic and Avatar were the same thing! I put a pic of my scooter as my Avatar, and did not change the profile pic. The red n white is a pic I found online. My scoot is blue n white.
Old 8th October 2009, 23:58   #70
BHPian

few more pics of the car
Attached Thumbnails
Standard 10 restoration-image524.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image525.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image526.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image527.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-image528.jpg  

Old 9th October 2009, 01:06   #71
Senior - BHPian

Ahh now the car is looking nice with grill and lights put back again.Hope to see it on the road soon.
Old 9th October 2009, 09:49   #72
BHPian

Hey Calrock, very neat! ITs coming up very well, and the attention to details clearly shows. Btw, totally how long did it take to bring it to this shape? And did you have those chrome strip along the sides (separating the green and white portions) earlier or did you source them as part of this restoration?

Btw, I also sent you a PM a few days ago. Did you get it? Take a look at it and get back when you get a chance..

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrock View Post
few more pics of the car
Old 9th October 2009, 10:08   #73
BHPian

This is my 1960 Standard 10 Companion model. It is in decent and original mechanical condition including the seat covers being original. I drive it between Bangalore and Mysore once in a while. However, while I was away on work for a year, apparently it developed some problem with the steering and a local mechanic to whom my brother took the car suggested that we will not get spares etc and has changed the system to Herald with some custom changes. That is the ONLY non-original part now.

Anyway, sorry about digressing, but thought will give some background. Now, it needs some restoration to be done like -
1. Minor bodywork with painting
2. Fixing water leakage into the car when it rains.
3. Steering box and system to be restored to original.
4. Original type door beadings
5. Oil leakage problem etc.
6. Some suspension noise to be fixed.
7. Indicator light covers
8. Those chrome strips along the sides
9. The seat adjustment lever for passenger seat is damaged

First of all, I need spares for the above list. I called up Anil Soans yesterday evening. He suggested he can check his stocks if I call back during day time.
Secondly, I plan to get it done by a better mechanic (am not happy with the one who did it last time in Bangalore). Any suggestion? Do you know or find out about a very good mechanic in this region (Bangalore / Mysore) who knows the job and has the passion to do a good job? I can also bring it to Mangalore if you suggest that as a better option. How is the place where you got it done - Thrush Racing? Looking at your posts, they seem very good. What's your take? Would it be worth the effort bringing the car all the way?

Lastly, how much would an entire restoration project cost? It would be very helpful for me to get an idea so that I can plan and budget for it.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Avinash

Last edited by Jaggu : 9th October 2009 at 10:44. Reason: Pictures non loading properly. Thanks
Old 9th October 2009, 11:55   #74
BHPian

Here are couple of pictures of my Standard Companion. I have removed the original side mirrors that go on the fenders to save it from getting stolen or damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Standard 10 restoration-dscf0565.jpg  

Standard 10 restoration-dscf0564.jpg  

Old 9th October 2009, 13:19   #75
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here are couple of pictures of my Standard Companion. I have removed the original side mirrors that go on the fenders to save it from getting stolen or damaged.
Wow, lovely car!
Much better shape than mine! 'needs just few things to make it complete! It is supposed to have the "Companion" badge at a slant on the rear hatch, as can be seen here:

Standard 10 restoration-chatch.jpg

I have one among 2 that I bought on ebay as I mentioned earlier.

However, please post any further pics./info on this car in the STANDARD CARS IN INDIA thread only.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks