Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2009, 17:53   #1

Merc W123 300D Advise needed on restoration/repair

Hi,

I am posting a message after a really long time. Last post was sometime in 2008 April after I bought my Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. But have been an avid reader of the posts on the forum and this has now inspired me to actually think of restoring a Merc W123 300D. Forum members will also please excuse my lack of knowledge (ignorance) on matters too technical.
MODS: Hope this is the right forum category.

So coming to the actual subject on hand, I might get my hands on a 1982 Merc W123 300D, RHD (will post pictures as soon). I was bitten by the Merc bug thanks to my uncle who owned a seried of mercs through the late 70s and 80s - W120, W110 and W115. This particular car has actually been lying unused for the last 3-4 years but the body is in decent condition. There are definite issues with the mechanicals. The car is in Kerala and I am thinking of bringing it here to Pune.

I really need to know if there is someone good here in Pune who could help in getting it in shape. I would basically hand this over to that person, my contribution in this being purely financial in nature . From what I understand it requires the works - painting, upholstry, engine overhaul, suspension overhaul etc. I would personally prefer to get original spares (if available locally or import form the right source).

I would request inputs on this from the experts on this Forum

Regards

Raju
Old 22nd August 2009, 18:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuhari11 View Post
Hi,

I am posting a message after a really long time. Last post was sometime in 2008 April after I bought my Palio Stile 1.6 Sport. But have been an avid reader of the posts on the forum and this has now inspired me to actually think of restoring a Merc W123 300D. Forum members will also please excuse my lack of knowledge (ignorance) on matters too technical.
MODS: Hope this is the right forum category.

So coming to the actual subject on hand, I might get my hands on a 1982 Merc W123 300D, RHD (will post pictures as soon). I was bitten by the Merc bug thanks to my uncle who owned a seried of mercs through the late 70s and 80s - W120, W110 and W115. This particular car has actually been lying unused for the last 3-4 years but the body is in decent condition. There are definite issues with the mechanicals. The car is in Kerala and I am thinking of bringing it here to Pune.

I really need to know if there is someone good here in Pune who could help in getting it in shape. I would basically hand this over to that person, my contribution in this being purely financial in nature . From what I understand it requires the works - painting, upholstry, engine overhaul, suspension overhaul etc. I would personally prefer to get original spares (if available locally or import form the right source).

I would request inputs on this from the experts on this Forum

Regards

Raju
if you have not bought it yet,please check its history,because if the engine has been opened in KERALA,be wary of it
Old 23rd August 2009, 14:18   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't see a problem in finding a good garage from Pune to restore your Merc. And if you are very finicky, Mumbai - with a vast range of Merc experts - is only 180 kms away! How about pictures of your potential ride? I have a thing for old Mercs.

Something to feast your eyes on:

Completely restored W123

My W123

A Pristine W123

And some interesting recommendations on buying a 123:

Worth buying a 240D?

Buying a 123 with a bootleg engine?

Quote:
my contribution in this being purely financial in nature
As many of us have realised, a restoration is only as good as the owner's attention to the project. You are going to have to keep aside a lot of time.
Old 24th August 2009, 10:52   #4

I am attaching a few snaps that i had taken.

Quote:
if you have not bought it yet,please check its history,because if the engine has been opened in KERALA,be wary of it
As far I know the engine has not been opened up...at least by the current owner, he is the fourth. The car was in Tamil Nadu Initially.

Quote:
As many of us have realised, a restoration is only as good as the owner's attention to the project. You are going to have to keep aside a lot of time
My biggest worry too GTO, being in a regular 9 to 5 job. Though I will definitely take time out, I am also hoping I can get someone I can trust to do a good job.

Anyways here are some snaps. There is some rusting, I have highlighted within white squares.
Attached Thumbnails
Merc W123 300D Advise needed on restoration/repair-300d-front-snap.gif  

Merc W123 300D Advise needed on restoration/repair-300d-rear-snap.gif  

Merc W123 300D Advise needed on restoration/repair-300d-interior-snap.gif  

Old 24th August 2009, 11:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

There seems to be rust all over.Rust on the running board is a weak point for these mercs too. The real picture will come out only when you start stripping the car. Unless you are getting is for an unbelievably cheap price, i'd say, give it a pass. There are better examples of W123's around.
Old 24th August 2009, 16:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

good W123's are available for about 2l rupees, there is no work required in these cars.Rather buy a car in mint condition than spend your time and money restoring it.
Old 24th August 2009, 19:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes I agree you will get a better example unless this one is at throwaway price. the dash is cracked as it seems common with 123 one can be had from bangkok at 25k a pop I belive not sure latest. Upholstry is redone not sure if accurate cosmetics like biddings, chrome strip patties on body can be expensive.

She is cheapest to fix and do up mechanically but paint/tinwork and trim can be very expensive and those seem bad on this one
Old 24th August 2009, 20:32   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi. This is a 1892 you said, then the head lights have been changed to a later (end 83 onwards). I also noticed that the colour of the upholstery is different than the side panels which seem to be a very dark tan. Is this because of exposure to sun or is it because of the lighting it appears so?

The 300D started its life in 1982 with a 5 cyl engine. I presume the car has power steering and electric windows. IS it an automatic or manual. Can we have the interior pics.

My advice is that if the interiors means upholstery is not torn, just get it restuffed. That way you will retain the originality as it is very difficult if not impossible to get the original material and look of the W123 seats in remade interiors.

*arts are not a problem. Everything is available and not very expensive. If the car requires a full engine and suspension job, budget 1.25-1.5 lakhs for a quality job including parts and labour. Im taking the worst case scenario. If the gearbox is an automatic one and if theres a problem, another 35K for it. Then add paint and tinwork, around another lakh and you have a car thats brand new. Of course you may be able to buy one in similar condition for almost half that price.

As others have said, if it free or throwaway, get it. Else buy a restored example and spend very few bucks in getting it up t your expectation at the shortest time and enjoy. It takes a lot to get get a W123 in the shape your potential car is.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi well now it depends what kindof job you want done on this car.Wheather you want to spend a good amount of money and do the car up really well or to just get the jobs done and spend the least as possible.And one more thing is that do you want it done in pune it self or some where else would do also?
Old 25th August 2009, 12:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

excuse me for being off-topic (or is there is any thread point me in the right direction)

But if I wanted just a vague idea what should be an estimate street price for a W124 not excellent but decent condition!!! Petrol and Diesel both
I believe that they were manufactured between late 80' and mid 90's!!!

I plan to buy one for myself in the next 6 months to a year or maybe even later. ( the decision will be taken after I am done with the restoration of my Jeeps MM550 and RHD CJ3B)

I am just asking for knowledge sakes
Old 26th August 2009, 15:39   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
excuse me for being off-topic (or is there is any thread point me in the right direction)

But if I wanted just a vague idea what should be an estimate street price for a W124 not excellent but decent condition!!! Petrol and Diesel both
I believe that they were manufactured between late 80' and mid 90's!!!

I plan to buy one for myself in the next 6 months to a year or maybe even later. ( the decision will be taken after I am done with the restoration of my Jeeps MM550 and RHD CJ3B)

I am just asking for knowledge sakes
W124 1995/96- 3L Petrol, 4L Diesel
As you go to earlier years the rates would drop accordingly.
Old 26th August 2009, 21:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

thanks for the info ACM!!!
Also are there any sites/ forum etc where one can read and learn more about the W12x series of Mercs!!! I would like to read and gain info on these lovely machines before I commit myself to anything!!!
Old 27th August 2009, 20:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
thanks for the info ACM!!!
Also are there any sites/ forum etc where one can read and learn more about the W12x series of Mercs!!! I would like to read and gain info on these lovely machines before I commit myself to anything!!!
Boss open a new window on explorer type in Mercedes W12X and see the hits all you want to know will be available. Be sure to be connected to the internet though
Old 31st August 2009, 12:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Hi. This is a 1892 you said, then the head lights have been changed to a later (end 83 onwards). I also noticed that the colour of the upholstery is different than the side panels which seem to be a very dark tan. Is this because of exposure to sun or is it because of the lighting it appears so?

The 300D started its life in 1982 with a 5 cyl engine. I presume the car has power steering and electric windows. IS it an automatic or manual. Can we have the interior pics.

My advice is that if the interiors means upholstery is not torn, just get it restuffed. That way you will retain the originality as it is very difficult if not impossible to get the original material and look of the W123 seats in remade interiors.

*arts are not a problem. Everything is available and not very expensive. If the car requires a full engine and suspension job, budget 1.25-1.5 lakhs for a quality job including parts and labour. Im taking the worst case scenario. If the gearbox is an automatic one and if theres a problem, another 35K for it. Then add paint and tinwork, around another lakh and you have a car thats brand new. Of course you may be able to buy one in similar condition for almost half that price.

As others have said, if it free or throwaway, get it. Else buy a restored example and spend very few bucks in getting it up t your expectation at the shortest time and enjoy. It takes a lot to get get a W123 in the shape your potential car is.
Hi, the vehicle registration papers say its a 1982 model. But then these are duplicate as the original one was in very bad shape.

The side panel upholstry might have been redone, I will have to check. As regards the other points, you are correct this has power steeering, power windows and power brakes. The transmission is manual. Unfortunately do not have any more interior snaps but do have one on the engine bay and am attaching the same.

I might get the vehicle at a low price, that is the reason the thought of restoring it came to mind. We infact got a quote from a local garage in cochin (supposed to be experts on Mercs) and they quoted almost 2.8 lacs to get it back in shape . Then I thought maybe I can get it here to Pune or Mumbai and get it redone as I would be able to devote more time. But seeing the general response/advice of the forum members I am now having second thoughts.

I also heard that I might face problems with the RTO here in Maharashtra getting clearance certificate as it is more than 15 years old and will need to get a certificate every year subsequently too.
Attached Thumbnails
Merc W123 300D Advise needed on restoration/repair-300d-engine-bay-snap.gif  

Most Viewed