Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2009, 23:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Pavan I am confused which is the original shade the one with rain drops or the other one at the bottom? but I am sure this must be coming out as a brand new car. I appreciate your patience, good luck buddy.
Old 1st December 2009, 17:32   #32
BHPian

Pavan, did you say 1953 model? I doubt that. This is a low light version, so your car cannot be any later than 1950. Moreover, I hope that you've painted the engine bay body colour and not black. The same would go for the inside of the boot and inside the front and rear wings. The colour of the car in the rain is an exact match of my car!
Old 2nd December 2009, 16:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
Pavan, did you say 1953 model? I doubt that. This is a low light version, so your car cannot be any later than 1950. Moreover, I hope that you've painted the engine bay body colour and not black. The same would go for the inside of the boot and inside the front and rear wings. The colour of the car in the rain is an exact match of my car!
Tonrag , could you please suggest a good chroming shop in Bangalore. I am looking at Copper / Nickle / Chrome. Also what should be the thickness of each coat. I saw in some standard as 30 micrometer for each coating. Is that right.

@ Pawan: where did you got you chrome plating done??
Old 2nd December 2009, 23:18   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Pavan I am confused which is the original shade the one with rain drops or the other one at the bottom? but I am sure this must be coming out as a brand new car. I appreciate your patience, good luck buddy.
The pics with raindrops on the Car is the shade, the final coat will be a bit brighter shade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrag View Post
No Sir this one's a 1950 tourer. We have presently sprayed Dunlop(Black) on the engine room.

As per your suggestions maybe we'll paint it the body color during the final coat. Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Tonrag , could you please suggest a good chroming shop in Bangalore. I am looking at Copper / Nickle / Chrome. Also what should be the thickness of each coat. I saw in some standard as 30 micrometer for each coating. Is that right.

@ Pawan: where did you got you chrome plating done??
You can try paramount or one more just behind the JC Road multi-level parking lot. Run by an office client of mine, almost all chrome job is done by him, and has lasted me well.
Old 3rd December 2009, 07:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Pavan! would you be painting the rims cream or off white? and white wall tyres. If not the blackones, are these tyres readily available or can Fiat/premier padminis' tyres fit into them.

Found this picture in Flickr should look something like this right! (Colour scheme)

Superb going.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration: 1950 Morris Minor Convertible-minor.jpg  

Old 3rd December 2009, 10:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Pavan! would you be painting the rims cream or off white? and white wall tyres. If not the blackones, are these tyres readily available or can Fiat/premier padminis' tyres fit into them.

Found this picture in Flickr should look something like this right! (Colour scheme)

Superb going.
Wow wow chanu, I think the shade is Apple green or leaf green, this is what I am planning for my Car also. And would also like to paint the wheels cream if they came like that.

Pawan,

Thanks Bro for the address, bye the way what color is your Morris.
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Superb going.
Please do try to resist going for whitewalls. This is a British car after all !!
Old 3rd December 2009, 10:57   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Please do try to resist going for whitewalls. This is a British car after all !!
Its a strange situation sometimes. Fiats, Ambys, Morris, Standards that were assembled in India were very much offered with whitewalls when new. My 1960 Standard 10 was delivered new with whitewalls, the Indian manual shows an illustration too. Since we have been seeing these cars for the last 50 years with whitewalls, somehow I feel it is ok for them to sport whitewalls. Depends on the owner I guess.

That said, it does look very very strange to see Austin 7 tourers and Triumph Tiger bikes with whitewalls!
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:56   #39
BANNED

Quote:

Superb going.
Thats the exact shade buddy, Thanks a lot for the Pic, Yes the rims are presently painted cream.

Where do i get white wall tyres Not even finding those white wall inserts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Wow wow chanu, I think the shade is Apple green or leaf green, this is what I am planning for my Car also. And would also like to paint the wheels cream if they came like that.

Pawan,

Thanks Bro for the address, bye the way what color is your Morris.
Would love to see your Morris soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Its a strange situation sometimes. Fiats, Ambys, Morris, Standards that were assembled in India were very much offered with whitewalls when new. My 1960 Standard 10 was delivered new with whitewalls, the Indian manual shows an illustration too. Since we have been seeing these cars for the last 50 years with whitewalls, somehow I feel it is ok for them to sport whitewalls. Depends on the owner I guess.

That said, it does look very very strange to see Austin 7 tourers and Triumph Tiger bikes with whitewalls!

Need to know who makes white wall inserts in India or any tyre maker who has white wall tyres.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:08   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Need to know who makes white wall inserts in India or any tyre maker who has white wall tyres.
MRF Twin Tread is the only manufacturer, supply of that too is scarce now. Size is Fiat size, 5.20 14 I think.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Karl

What you are refering to as whitewalls that cam on these cars originally would be the thin, maybe one inch, of white sriping on the tires ?

These are not technically whitewalls. The actual whitewalls were the like the name suggests where th eentire wall of the tire is white like you see on American iron.

I don't think any Morris or Standard cars were offered with full whitewalls.
Old 3rd December 2009, 13:30   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What you are refering to as whitewalls that cam on these cars originally would be the thin, maybe one inch, of white sriping on the tires ?

These are not technically whitewalls. The actual whitewalls were the like the name suggests where th eentire wall of the tire is white like you see on American iron.

I don't think any Morris or Standard cars were offered with full whitewalls.
The thinner white 'strip' tyres were also very much available later, on Heralds, Fiats, Ambys etc - even 118 NE.

Here are 2 examples of full side whitewalls on a Fiat and a Landmaster, both period shots

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1584008-post891.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1379973-post465.html

Here again you can see my grandfather's Amby and Herald when they were almost new

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/772944-post29.html

In some Herald shots you see white walls and in some you dont - as my dad would switch them the other way around every now and then

My 1955 Fiat was delivered new with wide whitewalls, tubeless too, the first owner confirmed with me. I've seen some period pics of the car too.

I have a copy of an India specific owner's manual for the Standard 10/Pennant, it clearly shows the car fitted with white walls, not strips. For Morris I do not have anything to substantiate, but I say it on basis of other cars at the time.
Old 3rd December 2009, 16:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

I am aware of the whitewalls on Fiats. Even ours and others in the family sported whitewalls at various times.

It looks like it was a practice in India to equipe new cars with such tires.

What I was actually infering was that a car like the Morris Minor would look better on blackwalls as it was supposed to back then.

I am not sure if these were offered with whitewalls in India but going by the local trend to be a bit flashy even back then I would not be surprised to see period pics of the Minors on whitewalls.

In the sake of authenticity to the original manifacturers specs I feel a Minor need not feature whitewalls.
Old 3rd December 2009, 20:57   #44
BANNED

Some more updates on the WIP
Attached Thumbnails
Restoration: 1950 Morris Minor Convertible-p031209_15.42.jpg  

Restoration: 1950 Morris Minor Convertible-p031209_16.01.jpg  

Restoration: 1950 Morris Minor Convertible-p031209_16.01_01.jpg  

Restoration: 1950 Morris Minor Convertible-p031209_16.48.jpg  

Restoration: 1950 Morris Minor Convertible-p031209_18.49.jpg  

Restoration: 1950 Morris Minor Convertible-p031209_15.42_01.jpg  

PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2009, 11:17   #45