Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2012, 00:00   #31
BHPian

Re: Looking for my dream VW Microbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

Whatever it is, by design its very desirable, but the ONLY FEATURE & TROUBLE this bus inherits from the Split-Windows are the Infamous Air-intake vents for the engine.. Those Horizontal Slats makes the engine run HOT, and by design are terrible

Unlikely, the other Baywindows (READ MINE) has those protruding Ears on the rear panel, which just swallows and directs fresh air to the engine are fantastic by design, and wonder why they were shunned, but that curved rear quarter glasses are to die for, if not for that design fault.

There is some R&D that i am doing right now on a similarly designed 67-SplitBus, to enhance the cooling technique, let me see, how successful i am, only time will tell.
I afraid i disagree on the Air intake vents if driven properly they do not over heat at all,they are designed to run at a certain temperature and provided you use the gears when you should its not a problem,We have done thousands of miles all over europe and have never had a over heating problem ,providing your engine is tuned as it should be and engine oil changed regularly,the engine vents for 1950-1955 had 8 outward facing vents then 1955-1962 9 outward facing vents then 63- 67 are inward facing vents as in the baysplit you have there.Yes the bay windows are a better cooling system but none the less the splits still work as they are intended.there are a few modifications around in the uk at the moment for those buses that have had a much larger engine fitted and they do need extra cooling because of that.
Heres a pic of my bus with 9 outward facing vents
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for my dream VW Microbus-img_0664.jpg  

vw splitscreen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 17:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Nilesh,

The Bus did land in Bangalore Sunday Morning.

Well, my observations

1) 99% of the floor area is INTACT and clean
2) 97% of the Fittings are INTACT and can be re-used
3) Needs full electrical restoration
4) Has lot of tin work on the body shell, (see the pics attached)
5) Mechanically the Bus is Fit n fine, needs a little TLC to make it run, we will do the compression test to verify the health of the engine.
6) Came without the keys and barn door locked
7) Brakes are working, but might have to change the Master cylinder ( Comes with Booster ) so need to check the booster too, which seems to have corroded.

Pics attached, Once the Restoration is underway, you guys will see the progress.
Nice! I'm looking forward to updates on the restoration. Very excited to see another Bus being restored

I'm wondering which engine this Bus has? Is it a 1600 single port? or a 1500 or smaller engine like the Split Buses had?

This Bus will be coming to Mumbai after the restoration right?

Quote:
Whatever it is, by design its very desirable, but the ONLY FEATURE & TROUBLE this bus inherits from the Split-Windows are the Infamous Air-intake vents for the engine.. Those Horizontal Slats makes the engine run HOT, and by design are terrible

Unlikely, the other Baywindows (READ MINE) has those protruding Ears on the rear panel, which just swallows and directs fresh air to the engine are fantastic by design, and wonder why they were shunned, but that curved rear quarter glasses are to die for, if not for that design fault.

There is some R&D that i am doing right now on a similarly designed 67-SplitBus, to enhance the cooling technique, let me see, how successful i am, only time will tell.
I don't think the air-intake vents are such a big problem, are you having trouble with overheating on the '67 Bus you mention?
The problem with these Brazilian buses is they lack the vintage styling of the split buses, but also don't have the many mechanical improvements of the Bay-Windows.
RandomUsername is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 19:59   #33
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomUsername View Post
Nice! I'm looking forward to updates on the restoration. Very excited to see another Bus being restored

I'm wondering which engine this Bus has? Is it a 1600 single port? or a 1500 or smaller engine like the Split Buses had?

This Bus will be coming to Mumbai after the restoration right?

I don't think the air-intake vents are such a big problem, are you having trouble with overheating on the '67 Bus you mention?
The problem with these Brazilian buses is they lack the vintage styling of the split buses, but also don't have the many mechanical improvements of the Bay-Windows.
Hi Santaji,

Sure sure, This Bus will reach Mumbai once its Restored

The Bus has a 1600cc engine, I suspect its a Twin port, Single carb one... the Set-up looks like one, need to see it properly once i get free.

The air-intake vents are indeed a problem.

The styling is unique and i love it.

You get double dhamaka. The styling of the Split and the face of a Baywindow
Old 7th March 2012, 02:05   #34
BHPian

Thanks All!

Once restored, this bus will be a weekend runner. In fact for the next 3-4 years I can only use it for 1 month every year when I visit India. I’m based in UK but have plans to return some day.

Given the constraints above, the plan is to first stabilize the bus mechanically and structurally. We will thoroughly modernise it, but i do not expect the bus to be restored to complete original spec – so some purists may be disappointed Will try and get as much original parts as possible but first priority is for it to be practical and reliable.

I’m hoping that the cooling issues that Pavan mentioned do not exist on this bus. If they do then we will fix it. Longer term I’m tempted by some turnkey engines available in the UK – maybe someday!

Also, respect opinions on this being a baysplit hybrid Brazilian bus. I had some doubts but I loved the windows and the practicality of RHD. I would not trust my wife with a LHD

It is a unique bus and the search for better things would not end anywhere. Some more research revealed that the running gear is not completely like split. After the obligation to supply parts for split ended in 1975 VW shipped remaining parts to Brazil and hence the mishmash of components. The panels used were similar but rusting is common because these were not dipped in primer.

Pavan has confirmed it is indeed carrying some improvements:
Discs – tick;
16V – tick;
1600cc – tick;
Dual Port – tick;
IRS – tick (I think);

I'm sad that i'm not there while the restoration is going on. So Pavan's updates work very well

Pavan,

Was exploring some stuff and came across 3M. They seem to have some good products. Have you came across them?

3M India : 3M Product catalogue:*Automotive After Market

Cheers,
Nilesh
Old 9th March 2012, 00:01   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshdias View Post
Given the constraints above, the plan is to first stabilize the bus mechanically and structurally. We will thoroughly modernise it, but i do not expect the bus to be restored to complete original spec – so some purists may be disappointed Will try and get as much original parts as possible but first priority is for it to be practical and reliable.
Sounds like a good plan!

Quote:
I’m hoping that the cooling issues that Pavan mentioned do not exist on this bus. If they do then we will fix it. Longer term I’m tempted by some turnkey engines available in the UK – maybe someday!
The turnkey high performance engines are really tempting, but a well maintained stock 1600 dual port is also good enough! My family used to have a '74 Bus with a 1600 and it could easily be driven even long distance trips without any trouble, we used to do Mumbai - Mahbleshwar at least 2 or 3 times each year in the Bus, and even did Mumbai - Goa twice. We now have a '78 with a 2.0L which is even better
A new longblock would probably be expensive and difficult to import, but if you're in the UK you could maybe try to get a rebuild kit like this:
Top end rebuild kit 1600cc (Gen VW) see note -- 043-198-001/A -- Volkswagen part from VW Heritage
Old 9th March 2012, 04:09   #36
BHPian

Thanks Santaji.

By turnkey I did not mean performance engine. Some turnkey are standard reconditioned type 1 or 4 engines. But Pavan says existing engine is in good shape so we should be okay.

I ordered a stainless bolt kit, should be with me tomm. Do not want to take any chance with Mumbai weather.

Nice to know you guys easily manage Mahabaleshwar and Goa trips. Would love to do it in this bus but it is some way off

Your new bus looks cool!!
Old 9th March 2012, 04:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vw splitscreen View Post
Heres a pic of my bus with 9 outward facing vents
Dave, your bus is awesome! Have to thank you for lead to this white bus. Are you planning to be at Volksworld show in Surrey? I may end up there next weekend.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:04   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Dave, your bus is awesome! Have to thank you for lead to this white bus. Are you planning to be at Volksworld show in Surrey? I may end up there next weekend.
Thanks nileshdias, Glad you got the bus,and im sure yours will be looking
great when finished,if you ever get down to Goa let me know.
Im currently still in Goa and wont be back in UK in time for Volksworld
Take plenty of money with you. its a great show and lots of goodies to buy for your corner window
Old 11th March 2012, 18:09   #39
BHPian

Received the stainless steel kit yesterday! Had to buy one of each, split & bay, to fit this hybrid bus

Name:  ForumRunner_20120311_123730.png
Views: 1519
Size:  528.8 KB
nileshdias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2012, 22:21   #40
BANNED

Received it today. You have gone Crazy Nilesh

Neatly packed in two boxes, it will now await its turn.

My friend was here today, we have made a list of spares thats needed to get the restoration going, you will receive his mail very soon.

For few folks who want to hear the sweet sound of music....

Click on the link below

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for my dream VW Microbus-398368_409282199098408_100000498933587_1643991_1123411564_n.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 19th March 2012 at 22:22.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 03:20   #41
BHPian

Pavan,

Just trying to reduce chances of rust! I know what happens in Mumbai :(

Pankaj sent me mail with details of everything. I have copied you on emails. Go ahead and order all the parts.

I'm hoping we will get the mirrors and key from Goa soon - so keep them pending.

Have been busy recently - will give you a call tomm.

Cheers,
Nilesh
nileshdias is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 14:31   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Dear Nilesh the agent is correct i had a similar problem once, i would advise you to catch hold of a mechanic in Goa, get the bus running take a brush and paint over all the rust areas, make the vehicle presentable. If you do this the RTO will give you the NOC immediately. Once you have the NOC proceed with systematic restoration. This has happened to me once in Karnataka
Sir, you mean the fitness, if the fitness is valid can the NOC be issued easily? In that case please suggest me some agent, my friend has a GDA that has fitness valid till mid 2012, taxes paid and both books present, needs NOC, kindly PM me, if some one has a reliable agent in contact.

Note from support team: Please type your posts in clear, concise sentences. Thanks.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 30th March 2012 at 19:28. Reason: Poor readability
Old 10th April 2012, 19:07   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Pavan,

Just trying to reduce chances of rust! I know what happens in Mumbai :(

Pankaj sent me mail with details of everything. I have copied you on emails. Go ahead and order all the parts.

I'm hoping we will get the mirrors and key from Goa soon - so keep them pending.

Have been busy recently - will give you a call tomm.

Cheers,
Nilesh
Few spares have arrived today Nilesh, thanks to Pankaj for the same

Few days ago, the mechanic spent a day on the Bus, cleaning up the Brakes, Changing engine Oil, Cleaning up the spark plugs, a little carb cleaner spray, and DONE

Here are 2 short Videos of the Test Drive

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 10th April 2012 at 19:09.
Old 11th April 2012, 14:17   #44
BHPian

Certainly sounds good Pavan,i was in this bus six years in Goa and i know it was not used for some time before nileshdias took it over.good work and
looking forward to the rest of the work being completed.
vw splitscreen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2014, 16:39   #45
Senior - BHPian

there is now one for sale on our own classifieds !
& our Pavan Kadam knows everything about this vehicle

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Microbus.html/

Last edited by vinay kamath : 19th May 2014 at 16:41.
vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks