Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 17:55   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
does this happen in ideal as well?Does this problem even happen in different speeds?

when the engine is idle there is no noise only when the car is moving and when i cross 50kms its gone and the car runs very smooth
Old 19th September 2009, 18:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its got to be the engine or G box foundations.
If in stationary engine revving it doesnt come then its the gear box. Should also check the Universal joint of the prop shaft.

Last edited by scooby05 : 19th September 2009 at 18:20.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:27   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
If in stationary engine revving it doesnt come then its the gear box. Should also check the Universal joint of the prop shaft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsa1955 View Post
when the engine is idle there is no noise only when the car is moving and when i cross 50kms its gone and the car runs very smooth

Your differential is on its way out get the differential opened and you might have to change the bearings fast if you continue to use the car in this condition it will become werse later on.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:28   #19
BHPian

Quote:
tks scooby

it should be one of the two as you have mentioned. Need to get under the car n have a look.

cheers

Pradeep

Quote:
Your differential is on its way out get the differential opened and you might have to change the bearings fast if you continue to use the car in this condition it will become werse later on.
i at the moment am nou using the car till i fix this. I defenately would not want to spoil more than the damage done. i am looking for a good mechanic in bangalore and as soon as i find one i shall get it done.

cheers

Pradeep

Last edited by v12 : 19th September 2009 at 22:05.
Old 19th September 2009, 18:43   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to suggest, PLEASE do not touch the diff till you have checked the foundations and U joint. If at all the diff is to be opened get it done by a Very Very good workshop, more importantly a good mechanic on the job. I have very bad experiences with opening the diff in Mercs of that generation, the Hum remains for life!!
Mr Sirkar why would the diff bearings give way? No oil, Non use, or? since this doesnt look like a car with a few lac kms.
You have some good mechanics with experience in 123's in Bangalore.

Last edited by scooby05 : 19th September 2009 at 18:44.
Old 20th September 2009, 15:30   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to suggest, PLEASE do not touch the diff till you have checked the foundations and U joint. If at all the diff is to be opened get it done by a Very Very good workshop, more importantly a good mechanic on the job. I have very bad experiences with opening the diff in Mercs of that generation, the Hum remains for life!!
Mr Sirkar why would the diff bearings give way? No oil, Non use, or? since this doesnt look like a car with a few lac kms.
Dear Scooby05

i agree with you and i have heard few merc with the noise from differential and the feel of the car is gone. GOOD 123's experienced Mechanics in bangalore is what i am trying to hunt hopefully i dig him out soon
Old 21st September 2009, 14:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to add.The 300D with the 5 speed gear box ha a manufacturing defect with the gear box.So the thing which we did to two cars were changed their gear boxes to 4 speed and the problem went and in one car it was having a similar problem in which we changed the differential bearings.So i would suggest you need go for a 4 speed gear box the nboise should go down if it dosent then you have to get the bearings checked out.The 300D also came with the 4 speed so you need to look around for a gearbox and it should get sorted out.

Well normally they don't give way that easily but it depends on how frequently the oil is changed and if the car has had a history of being used without oil.It also depends on the quality of oil used.We don't know what the earlier owner did with the car.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 21st September 2009 at 15:02.
Old 21st September 2009, 15:25   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I forgot to add.The 300D with the 5 speed gear box ha a manufacturing defect with the gear box.So the thing which we did to two cars were changed their gear boxes to 4 speed and the problem went and in one car it was having a similar problem in which we changed the differential bearings.So i would suggest you need go for a 4 speed gear box the nboise should go down if it dosent then you have to get the bearings checked out.The 300D also came with the 4 speed so you need to look around for a gearbox and it should get sorted out.

Well normally they don't give way that easily but it depends on how frequently the oil is changed and if the car has had a history of being used without oil.It also depends on the quality of oil used.We don't know what the earlier owner did with the car.
The car has had a good maintainence record as informed by the previous owner. the day i picked the car i did check on the gearbox oil and the kind of oil used was fine. i would want to hold on to the 5 speed gear box and try with the option of differential bearings
Old 21st September 2009, 15:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The car has had a good maintainence record as informed by the previous owner. the day i picked the car i did check on the gearbox oil and the kind of oil used was fine. i would want to hold on to the 5 speed gear box and try with the option of differential bearings

Well i would suggest make the gear box transplant the first option and then the differential.It may be that you change the bearings and the noise still dosent go but i would advice you to go systematically.

You could do some thing to see if its the gearbox or the differntial.start the car and ideal it for some time then drive the car and then after that accelarate on neutral and see if the problem happens or not.If it is happening then just put your foot on the clutch pedal and see if the noise goes down or goes completely.Do post your observation.

P.s. Do checkout the cluth and replace if its wearing out.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 21st September 2009 at 15:48.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:13   #25

Wow

That is a real beauty fabulous vehicle.
Congrats.
Old 21st September 2009, 20:37   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Sounds like the problem with the U joint.. just get that checked and it will solve the problem. Btw nice car dude and with the username it looks like you have a BSA too.. do post her pictures as well, would love to see
Old 21st September 2009, 22:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinashimpex View Post
Wow

That is a real beauty fabulous vehicle.
Congrats.
Thanks avinashimpex
shortly will be driving to coimbatore. would get in touch with you before driving inn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?ushk@r View Post
Sounds like the problem with the U joint.. just get that checked and it will solve the problem. Btw nice car dude and with the username it looks like you have a BSA too.. do post her pictures as well, would love to see
Am heading to mechanic in the morning. Will have to see what his diagonisis will be will check on the U joint as well.Yes we do have a bsa B31. 1955 thats how the user ID origins from

Cheers pradeep

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd September 2009 at 16:05. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 22nd September 2009, 02:22   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will completely agree with Scooby here dont touch the differential> it does not appear to be the problem.

Quote:

I would like to seriously disagree with you Indrojit. Firstly IMHO, the 5 speed is a fantastic gearbox and had no trouble whatsoever, leave alone a manufacturing defect. There aresill cars which are running perfect with the 5 speeder wthout an aorta of a problem, I have owned a few 300Ds in the past to corroborate the fact. Secondly swapping a 5 speed with a 4 speed is not the answer an is a definite no no in my books. Of course thats my opinion.

A differential vibraion and sound does not go off at varying speeds, it just stays there forever. With increase of speed, it stays the same and in most cases it increases and just not vibration, there will be a humming sound, very peculiar to the differential problem only as pointed above. Just get a good mechanic to look at it. I feel at the most you will have to change the two engine and one gear box mounts. That will take care of the vibration. Then as Scooby has suggested it might be the U joint bush but again if that is the problem, it would be coupled with a slight tug and thud which is again very peculiar to this kind of problem. you can feel the thud very distinctly.

It might not even be the gearbox mount problem, may just be the engine mounts on their way out or vice versa.

I would not touch the differential if the humming sound is not there at all. I would also throughly check the clutch, clutch cylinders and wheel bearings, though i still feel by what is said that it is a simple problem of the mounts. Remember, change all three together, never change just one or two. A good mechanic will tell you the problem just by taking a short test drive. Sould not take more than a day and should not cost moe than 4.5 to 7K for all three mounts. Im not sure since i have not bought these for a few years now. Very easily available too.

Change the filters, both oil and diesel with the mounts and see the 300 fly. With a 5 speed gearbox, whic h is the overdrive, the highway run turns into a dream.
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi BSA was this car ever owned by the Gowda's? Mukund Gowda went to boarding school with me in the 80's and he had the exact same car with headrest etc at the back and same color. His granddad was some Minister in KA/Bangelore not sure if the same Deve Gowda family. This looks like the exact same car. She looks like she has been in a time capsule great buy and keep her that way.
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Suggestion of changing the Original Gearbox, and that too from the 5 speed one to 4 speed, and opening the differential to check bearings etc are very Bad suggestions. Specially for such a Well looked after car. If this were a car out of Delhi/north, IMO, yes anything could have been possible but not a car from Karnataka.
If Mr Sircar, has switched from a 5 speed to a 4 speed in a similar car, its been a VERY BAD Short cut. The 5 speed had a different oil instead of the the normal high viscosity gear oil, and this may be the reason for the GB Packing up as service centres would have replaced the original oil with 90 Gear oil.

Whats the real Mileage this car has done?? Within 100000kms I guess.

Last edited by scooby05 : 22nd September 2009 at 12:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks