Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2009, 19:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
What exactly is the point of this thread, if you dont mind?

First of all, the title of the thread says muscle and concept cars. I dont think any American concept car ever made it to India. By nature, concept cars are one-offs built by the manufacturers to showcase their design/engineering capabilities. They are paraded around from show to show for a year, then either retained by the company or sold to some rich private buyer who is a "friend" with the company.
See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Main purpose is to share experiences and knowledge about muscle cars to be specific. As far as concept cars go well you just might get to know of one in india which came in at some point. Like many things unkonwn usually.
See below

Quote:
This is my old studebaker president.
Nice car, a polish would help brighten her up, but not a muscle car even in fantasy

Quote:
That is indeed a great idea. Other could also please put their views forward to try and make this forum a bit more interactive.
Sorry, no one had anything to add

Well, actually some concept cars did come to India, these pictures were taken by me at Pragati Maidan during an IETF (Indian Engineering Trade Fair) exhibition in Delhi sometime in the 1990's. Does anyone remember these cars?
This was an exhibition were almost all the halls of the entire Pragati Maidan were booked. We also had a stand, displying our products. This exhibition was held at a time when India was just opening up its market. So many car cos came in, and this exhibition was almost like a mini Auto show. Telco hired a whole hall to display few cars like Safari. What was interesting at that time was the cars which came for disply. There were these Ford concept cars, I remember that Audi brought in Audi 100's, one white and one metallic brown, dealer was Mumbai based private firm. A Ferrari was also there, and quite some more I do not now remember. Also commercial vehicles were displayed, the larger one parked outside the hall.
These Ford concept cars went back to America. In fact Ford recently auctioned off a whole lot of their concept cars and this convertible was among that lot.
Probably the only concept cars to visit India, and that too not the ones of the 1950's which come to our mind when we think of American concept cars.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-ford-concept-2.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-ford-concept-3.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-ford-concept-4.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-ford-concept-1.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 22nd October 2009 at 19:36.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2009, 15:55   #32
BHPian

Is this green concept car a mustang Mach 3 concept.
Old 28th December 2009, 18:46   #33
Senior - BHPian

Who am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Well, actually some concept cars did come to India, these pictures were taken by me at Pragati Maidan during an IETF (Indian Engineering Trade Fair) exhibition in Delhi sometime in the 1990's. Does anyone remember these cars?
If not "remember", leafing through an Auto India issue (1993) certainly helped me find out what these cars are.

The first car is the brilliant 1992 Ford Focus Concept designed by Ghia.

The second car, also on display at the Ford Stall, is the 1991 Mercury mystique MPV design study that never saw production.
Old 28th December 2009, 20:53   #34
BHPian

Quote:
My take on muscle cars to satisfy LOCAL

Minimum requirement for "Indian Muscle Car" ( applicable for cars located in India, not built in India.
1) V-8 engine
2) 2-door, coupe or convertible
3) Pre 1972
Cheers harit
Harit,

In principal I agree with you on the above criteria, however as you pointed out, they are few and far between and it would be interesting to try and find out how many might be around.

You might consider an "Import Class" and a "Domestic Class". The latter being Indian cars fitted with larger engines and performance modifications.

And then there is the "Custom Cars" that would be primarily those that have had custom elements added and perhaps some performance modifications done and restricted to cars up to 1972.

Unfortunately the value of the older imports has risen so much that it has almost become prohibitive not to restore them. That doesn't leave much to work with, then the problems of finding older cars that don't have current taxes paid and the difficulty registering and "customized" non original engined car.

Some of the Governments rules and regulations are indeed "back dated" such as not being able to purchase an older car from another State or City and not being able to transfer ownership. I saw a couple of nice older cars in Guwahti that I had considered bring to Calcutta, but the hassle to bring them here and then not be able to register them was not worth the effort.

Hopefully, some Day, the Vintage and Classic Car Lovers will join together and get some "MUSLE" to change these archaic laws that are decimating the few cars that are still around. Since I arrived in Calcutta five weeks ago I have seen less than 10 Premiers and only one Fiat on the road.

Anyhow this is a topic that should have a separate Thread and I am Off Topic!

Sorry, but if we all don't act now, shortly there will be not much left to worry about! The fact that we can't import older cars means that, what we have is alls we've got.

Why not start writing the Car Mags and Big Car Manufacturers to support us in our effort to preserve India's Automotive History?
Attached Thumbnails
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-1936fiattopolino.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-12421chevy_green.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-12421anglia_13.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-12421prefect_3.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-12421fiat_best_non_american_2nd.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-12421tmp_091.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-1242120040801124050mvc002s.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-1242120030803123900mvc021s.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-1242120030803115310mvc024s.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-12421wors_prefect.jpg  

Old 24th August 2012, 08:18   #35
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Muscle and concept classic american cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Now if I was to talk about muscle cars in India they would include the two Chrysler letter series ( C & G ) cars in Hyderabad the Chargers with Harit and so on but no Dart or Fairlane or Chevelle please
Quote:
My take on muscle cars to satisfy LOCAL requirements.
I suggest that we adapt to Indian conditions as follows:

Minimum requirement for "Indian Muscle Car" ( applicable for cars located in India, not built in India.
1) V-8 engine
2) 2-door, coupe or convertible
3) Pre 1972

These are only suggestions to accomodate some more cars like Chevelle etc., otherwise there is very little stock here. Ofcourse others will have their views. Like me:
Quote:
Are chevy's SS Impala etc. muscle cars? If yes, how does that explain my 1965 SS Impala 2 door coupe with a 6 cylinder engine? It is original 6 cylinder, mentioned in the RC book.
Happy debating

Cheers harit
The Hyderabad Chrysler 300C is fully restored and is looking great. I have no pictures though to post. Maybe when I meet the owner next time I will request for some pictures. The good news is that this car could make it to the Cartier Event, so all of us will get to see one of the few muscle cars in India

Harit your 1965 Chevy SS looks like a real muscle car. It does not matter it is 6 cylinder one though.

Google baba says

Quote:
The Chevrolet Impala SS is a legacy of GM’s performance full-sized vehicles. SS stands for “Super Sport”, it was manufactured in 1961-1969 period [1st generation]. SS had a few high performance engines: 348 cubic V8 [5.7 liter, 305/340/350 HP available] and 409 cubic muscle [6.7 liter, 425 HP].
Name:  1965chevroletimpalasscouperedrear.jpg
Views: 9522
Size:  62.4 KB

Source : Chevrolet Impala SS

Cheers

KPS
Old 24th August 2012, 09:14   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS

The Hyderabad Chrysler 300C is fully restored and is looking great. I have no pictures though to post. Maybe when I meet the owner next time I will request for some pictures. The good news is that this car could make it to the Cartier Event, so all of us will get to see one of the few muscle cars in India

Harit your 1965 Chevy SS looks like a real muscle car. It does not matter it is 6 cylinder one though.

Google baba says

Source : Chevrolet Impala SS

Cheers

KPS
The same RR person. It was a complete original car and big smile to see it soon.
Old 26th August 2012, 13:30   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Muscle and concept classic american cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
The same RR person. It was a complete original car and big smile to see it soon.
Yes the same RR person......we tried to buy the car too but missed it by 2000 rupees or so !

This was with the Osmania University and my grandad used to have it running way back in the early eighties !

Any idea if the G with the Capt P got restored by now ?

Most Viewed