Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2009, 13:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

The American's started making the V8 engines which made the history of automobiles change.The V8's used to have enormous power and torque but were poorly fuel efficiant.There were many such car manufacturers who ruled on the automobile industry for everal decades but slowly phased out the V8's and other powerful 6 cylinder engines and got much smaller engines and where they could deliver better performance and fuel efficiency.

There were many cars which people dreamt of owning but couldn't due because they were beyond their means but for some it wasn't that difficult to get their hands on these machines.

So i would say let the thoughts pour in with photographs and other dicussions about such cars specially made by the american automobile industry.

I would like people to see pictures of cars in india mainly and others also.

Last edited by Dippy : 24th September 2009 at 15:30.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

What exactly is the point of this thread, if you dont mind?

First of all, the title of the thread says muscle and concept cars. I dont think any American concept car ever made it to India. By nature, concept cars are one-offs built by the manufacturers to showcase their design/engineering capabilities. They are paraded around from show to show for a year, then either retained by the company or sold to some rich private buyer who is a "friend" with the company. Logistically out of reach for international buyers.

Secondly, do you want to restrict this thread to muscle cars only? If so, then why give an opening paragraph which talks about the famous decline of muscle cars?
Old 24th September 2009, 19:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
What exactly is the point of this thread, if you dont mind?

Main purpose is to share experiences and knowledge about muscle cars to be specific.Well the opening para is just to give a back ground of what the current cenario is.The main thing is to see how many people had owned or worked on such cars and their various experiences and how they feel about these type of cars.Mind you many people don't like such cars.Its mainly for those who are great fans of such cars.

As far as concept cars go well you just might get to know of one in india which came in at some point.Like many things unkonwn usually.

To also have a head count kind of a thing of cars in this particular category.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 24th September 2009 at 19:41.
Old 25th September 2009, 22:30   #4

This is my car - I'm soon back to the UK to let her loose again.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...tml#post794258
Old 7th October 2009, 23:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure there are many muscle american cars all over the place so would request everyone to add something here.
Old 7th October 2009, 23:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
I'm sure there are many muscle american cars all over the place so would request everyone to add something here.
i will do the honors.

a 1968 dodge dart
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-1968-dodge-dart.jpg

a ford fairlane gt500
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-ford-fairlane-500-gt-1.jpg

these are normally seen at the Statesman vintage rally. the Fairlane has the best sound ever.

here's a Shelby Cobra spotted by SP_KOLKATA sometimes back.
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-1.jpg
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-2.jpg

Last edited by amit V8 : 7th October 2009 at 23:54.
Old 7th October 2009, 23:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

This is my old studebaker president.
Attached Thumbnails
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-stude-president-1.jpg  

IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2009, 00:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Has that Shelby done the rounds on any other thread here on TBHP? Looks well maintained!
Old 8th October 2009, 00:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

found this on another thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-2344.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-2347.jpg  

Old 8th October 2009, 10:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Guys with no stretch of the imagination would one be able to refer to the Dart and Fairlane as Muscle Cars.

Taht Cobra is not the real thing but a current reproduction. There are no authentic AcCobra's in India.

Now if I was to talk about muscle cars in India they would include the two Chrysler letter series ( C & G ) cars in Hyderabad the Chargers with Harit and so on but no Dart or Fairlane or Chevelle please
Old 8th October 2009, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys with no stretch of the imagination would one be able to refer to the Dart and Fairlane as Muscle Cars.

Taht Cobra is not the real thing but a current reproduction. There are no authentic AcCobra's in India.

Now if I was to talk about muscle cars in India they would include the two Chrysler letter series ( C & G ) cars in Hyderabad the Chargers with Harit and so on but no Dart or Fairlane or Chevelle please

Wasif could i request you tio put up some pictures and some info of the above cars?
Old 8th October 2009, 15:30   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Wasif could i request you tio put up some pictures and some info of the above cars?
Well pictures of the actual cars in question I don't have but am sure DKG or others in Hyderabad can arrange them.

Regarding the cars lets start with the 57 Chrysler 300C coupe by far the best looking of the lot. This particular car was gifted to the Osmania University by some embassy or something similar for the use of the Vice Chancellor. It featured the 392 Cu In / 375 HP Hemi engine featuring twin four barrel carbs with power everything, press button auto transmission and full leather upholstry.

It was hardly used as it was heavy on gas consumption.My grandfather was the VC at OU for a while and I got to sit in this a couple of times. in the late 1990's it was put up for asle on tender with a bunch of other cars including some Citroen Panel vans and a collector in Hyd bought it for 15K.I had a 10K bid on it which was not succesfull.

Not sure if the car has been restored as it needed much work when I left India. Be assured it would have driven like a rocket when the gas was floored. I think thisis th eonly 300 C in India. See attached picture of a similar car to get an idea of what it looks like.

The other car is a 300G convertible with the Captain in Hyd. Came from somewhere in Gujarat and am not too sure of other details on it.By this time the Hemi was history and the car had the interesting "ram Air " engine with the carbs outside the V.

No pictures of this available but this was the last of the lette series with fins.

These letter series Chryslers were were high performance luxury cars made in very small numbers. The start of the line was in 1955 with the C - 300 and from then on each year was a different letter from B onwards to L which was the last in this series made in 1965.
Attached Thumbnails
Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-chrysler_300c.jpg  

Muscle and concept classic american cars in India-hemi_in_300c.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 8th October 2009 at 15:35.
Old 8th October 2009, 15:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

what would you like to call them??
as for the cobra's concerned, isn't the replica good enough for a country like india??
Old 8th October 2009, 15:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post

here's a Shelby Cobra spotted by SP_KOLKATA sometimes back.
Attachment 205175
Attachment 205176
now thats a beauty I'd love to see. The shelby cobra is my all tiem fave car. I just hope this is not a replica. where is it located at?
Old 8th October 2009, 15:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
what would you like to call them??
as for the cobra's concerned, isn't the replica good enough for a country like india??
The Dart and Fairlane will never be in the "muscle car" lists. The would probably be just regular "land barges" if you ask me.

The replica Cobra i guess is something to get excited about in India but come on would you clasify it as a muscle car ?

Most Viewed