Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 20:42   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adheesh View Post
The huge hole on the transmission tunnel is for filling up the gearbox oil (The funnel pipe is routed through it while filling). Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar
Trust Adheesh to come up with the correct answer .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Thanks Marcus, The car when I purchased was with a PAL engine , now looking all over the place for a Fiat engine
BTW guys, does the elegant share the same engine with the selects / superselects ? That may make the job of sourcing an engine just a wee bit easier !!
Nice to see this thread moving at a super fast pace, all the best .
And should I say, welcome to the blue brigade ?
Old 2nd October 2009, 22:26   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
BTW guys, does the elegant share the same engine with the selects / superselects ? That may make the job of sourcing an engine just a wee bit easier !!
Well ravi, as he mentioned, he already did manage to procure an "old" fiat engine recently at the scrap market (not from a 1100 but from a '73 fiat- so would've been a President. BUT my mech. who got the engine says the car didn't have anything else original on it! So no regrets)

As for similarity, AFAIK, they are similar on all the models, even the early padminis.
Old 3rd October 2009, 07:33   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
And should I say, welcome to the blue brigade ?
Yes that's the plan, blacks are very very common in Hyderabad and I don't want 2 elegents (mine and suren's) side by side shod in black. Since blue happens to be my favorite color, I would love to go for an original blue shade with the necessary inputs from the Bhp'ians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher
I believe that the design of the manifold is slightly different. I am not sure whether there are any subtle differences in the design of the head etc

Last edited by Cyberdoctorind : 3rd October 2009 at 07:38.
Old 3rd October 2009, 10:57   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
blacks are very very common in Hyderabad and I don't want 2 elegents (mine and suren's) side by side shod in black.
Blacks are very very common?? I think it should be in past tense- ie. blacks were very very common...!
OK ok..no more english education from me!

Nearly all the fiats I've seen that were originally black have been repainted to white (which is very very common now) or lighter colours! This would be because of the high maintenance that black requires, difficult especially if you don't have a fully covered parking and in our dusty conditions.

What is the blue shade you have in mind btw? Same as amol's car? That should be cool!

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd October 2009 at 10:58.
Old 3rd October 2009, 13:20   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Blacks are very very common?? I think it should be in past tense- ie. blacks were very very common...!
OK ok..no more english education from me!

What is the blue shade you have in mind btw? Same as amol's car? That should be cool!
Arey baba, I meant, Blacks are common in Hyderabad. Yes that's the blue shade I am looking at
Old 3rd October 2009, 13:51   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Arey baba, I meant, Blacks are common in Hyderabad.
Yes and even I was referring to apna hyderabad, yaaru!

Last edited by Stanher : 3rd October 2009 at 13:54.
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:08   #52
BHPian

SuperSelect's car with a light blue body and a white roof looks fantastic.
Old 4th October 2009, 07:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

shiva,

any updates on your Parts finding mission?
Old 4th October 2009, 22:07   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
shiva,

any updates on your Parts finding mission?
Still going on, but finding parts is like finding a needle in a haystack. Anyways with Bhpian's around, I don't think it might pose a big problem. Let's see how it goes. I will keep you guys posted.

Quote:
SuperSelect's car with a light blue body and a white roof looks fantastic.
Hillram's red and white SS looks awesome. Mine is an Elegant so no dual tone's to be inline with Originality
Old 5th October 2009, 04:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hillram's red and white SS looks awesome. Mine is an Elegant so no dual tone's to be inline with Originality
True Shiva.Your Elegant must come out something like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-fiat1100normaletypeb.jpg  

Old 6th October 2009, 00:14   #56
Senior - BHPian

I am quite surprised that nobody is looking at period greens for their project. If i am not mistaken there was a sort of metallic green also available. Maybe Prabal or someone can confirm! I am not sure Powder blue was offered in India for Elegants. Till date I have found no record of Fiat paintcodes to confirm exact colours offered.

Maybe thats the reason everyone at one point painted their car Black just to be on the safer side

Shiva does your car still retain the footrest behind the front seat?
Old 6th October 2009, 11:20   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I am quite surprised that nobody is looking at period greens for their project. If i am not mistaken there was a sort of metallic green also available. Maybe Prabal or someone can confirm! I am not sure Powder blue was offered in India for Elegants. Till date I have found no record of Fiat paintcodes to confirm exact colours offered.

Maybe thats the reason everyone at one point painted their car Black just to be on the safer side

I do have the original Fiat Paintcodes...will try and scan the same and post it on this forum.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:19   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - the "big hole" is for accessing the speedometer cable. In Padminis, it was covered by using a round sort of a plug made by stitching two rubber mat pieces together. This stitching was done inhouse in Kurla plant by a worker everybody knew as "mama". Nobody knew his real name. If you block this hole, you won't be able to access the speedometer cable which needs to be disconnected if you have to remove the gearbox for any work. I have seen some technicians drop the gearbox and then remove the speedometer drive from below the car but it is not the correct practice as the speedometer cable gets unduly stretched in doing so.

Dear Adheesh - in Fiat transmission, the oil filler plug is on the right hand side of the transmission. You can see this plug just in front of the body panel when you look for it from behind the front right tyre. You use a 17 mm spanner to open this plug. Go below the car more and more, yaar!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 6th October 2009, 20:47   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Amol, it does

Quote:
I do have the original Fiat Paintcodes...will try and scan the same and post it on this forum.
67Bug it would be great if you could scan and post the color codes on the forum . We can then select a different color

@Behramji -- Welcome to this thread
Old 7th October 2009, 02:10   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! The car looks pretty good with lot of orignals still there like the ivory window winders, aluminum door operation lever, meters etc. Why dont you post some better pics maybe outside in the light. We will be in a better position to then tell you how to go ahead with the restoration.

Again congratulations and all the best. I know you will enjoy the car. She is truly elegant
Hi Mole, i have just joint in this club n was pleasantly surprised seeing ur FIAT 1100 and the way u have maintained its originality as for me i am also a die hard fan of these FIATs n have an old 1963 Fiat which belonged to my mother from the start n i still like to maintain it. Now i was woundering if u could help me finding some of its original parts. To start with the stearing wheel just like ur white one but in black and the plastic meter cover like your white one but in black. See if you can help in any way. Thanks.
Singh.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th October 2009 at 10:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks