Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2009, 18:04   #1
BHPian

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)

At last my dream of owning an old fiat has come true. My search started an year ago and then focus moved on to various things(from willy's to s10's).However during the month of august, I decided that every other thing can wait and I will need to buy an old fiat ( Believe me, I never knew the difference between a millicento to a select, for me everything looked alike )

Search for the Car:

A quick search on google revealed information on Fiat 1100 and I have come to know some information and then search on T-Bhp revealed lot of information of Fiat's and I could differentiate partially between the various flavors and I was looking for cars till super select. A follow up with a certain person in Hyderabad revealed that he has a LHD Fiat Super Select, I enquired whether he would be interested in selling the car and I get a big "NO". So my search started again and I chance upon a RHD black SS and enquired on the car and the owner was willing to sell the car. Good till now. T-Bhpian Suren was the first one who I have contacted at this moment and then the ball was set in motion. He encouraged me to go ahead and buy the car and through Suren I have got in touch with another Fiat Guru HillRam (ramkiran). Thanks Suren for your encouragement and your help. Ram helped me to evaluate the car and gave me his go ahead. We could not buy the SS unfortunately.He then helped me to zero in on this Elegant and gave me all his expertise in evaluating and purchasing the car. All this happened in 2 days. Ram you are just just awesome man. Stanher (Shyam) also was quite helpful in giving me the necessary inputs on finding parts for my car and have given me access to his spare parts supplier. Shyam thanks really appreciate your help in this regard.

Restoration:

With the car finally purchased, I wanted a good mechanic and Ram again opened up avenues of options where in I can get my car done. A quick PM to Amol and Karl have given me access to the owner's manual of the 1100-103e which I would be referring to during this restoration process as well as T-bhpian's expert advices and suggestions. Before I start posting, I would like to thanks Amol, Behram sir, Karl who have responded to my PM's

A couple of pictures

When the car was purchased (As in condition)
Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6324.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6303.jpg  

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6310.jpg  

Cyberdoctorind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2009, 20:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! The car looks pretty good with lot of orignals still there like the ivory window winders, aluminum door operation lever, meters etc. Why dont you post some better pics maybe outside in the light. We will be in a better position to then tell you how to go ahead with the restoration.

Again congratulations and all the best. I know you will enjoy the car. She is truly elegant
Old 30th September 2009, 21:04   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Congratulations! The car looks pretty good with lot of orignals still there like the ivory window winders, aluminum door operation lever, meters etc. Why dont you post some better pics maybe outside in the light. We will be in a better position to then tell you how to go ahead with the restoration.

Again congratulations and all the best. I know you will enjoy the car. She is truly elegant
Thanks Amol. I will post some more pictures and we can get started on getting her back to her original self. Your post was sure an inspiration for me to take up my first restoration project. Thanks for setting a benchmark as well :-)
Old 30th September 2009, 22:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Wow, a lovely aquisition indeed !! Congratulations, and welcome to the forum .
When do you plan to start the resto ? Make sure you have every single nut and bolt in hand before you begin..
Looking forward to more on your car, and do enjoy many happy miles of motoring pleasure with her !
Old 1st October 2009, 00:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shiva.At last I was waiting when i would see this thread open.
I havent done anything my friend.Its just our passion for Fiats that has brought us togather and would love to see your joy when the whole restoration is completed and you would post the new looks of the elegant.
Im always available for any help.Good Luck.
Old 1st October 2009, 00:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Cograts on the new buy, CD. It seems to be a nice unmolested car.Please post some detailed pix too. Also, Look up amol's resto thread. Consider yourself luck to have the best Elegant in the country as a guide for your resto.
Old 1st October 2009, 07:10   #7
BHPian

@SuperSelect / JD -- Thanks for making me feel at home in T-Bhp. I am all excited on getting the car back to it's original self. At present the car is being stripped to it's bare basic as we speak to carry on with the body work. So officially the restoration has started.

@hillram -- Let's live up our passions sir. Great to interact, work with you in getting the car and going through the process of restoration.

Pics to follow soon on the current status of the car ..
Old 1st October 2009, 07:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Lovely car Shiva Hope you have started hunting for the few originals needed for the restoration.

Its seriously the right time to start FCCCI-Hyderabad
Old 1st October 2009, 08:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100 View Post
Wow!! Lovely car Shiva Hope you have started hunting for the few originals needed for the restoration.

Its seriously the right time to start FCCCI-Hyderabad
Yes Arun you are right. Ram and I was discussing the same over a couple of weeks ago. Most of my time these days is spent at gujri's to get hold of parts , I am trying to get some parts from italy as well. I will list down what I have and what all I am looking for in my next post shortly
Old 1st October 2009, 08:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post

A couple of pictures

When the car was purchased (As in condition)
Attachment 200084
Superb find. Cant see a speck of rust although being not so well kept for a long time. It even has most of the originals. Please restore her and give her the attention long due.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:12   #11
BHPian

Restoration Cont ....

Well after the purchase was done and the mechanic finalized, the car was supposed to be taken from the previous owners place to the mechanic garage, however due to the holy month on ramzan and with stack full of work, saleem the mechanic could not take the car in. An rather patient wait started for him to pick up the car and slowly patience in me was running out as even 3 weeks after I owned the car, the wheel of the car did not even move my an inch leave alone meters and kms. A quick discussion with Ram confirmed the worst fears in me that saleem would not be able to take the car till the holy month of ramzan complete and his other commitments fullfilled. I used to visit the car almost on a daily basis while returning from work just to give it an assurance that it will be soon picked up. Meanwhile the search for parts has started (Thanks to Stanher here)

The car had the following originals when purchased
  • Instrumental cluster
  • Aluminium door and window winders (2 each)
  • Grill
  • Steering I believe
  • Piano Switches (2)
  • Idiot light I think is original
  • Original Rim (1)
  • Delite mirror (unfortunately is not the lighted one which is present in the elegant)
  • Tail and parking light lenses
  • Indicator Stalk assy [ One stalk broken, tried to get a assembly replacement in vain, disassembled the assembly to find out the indicator stalk has broken close to the root. Will post picture for better clarity
  • Steering wheel
  • Wheel drums
  • Ivory Bakelite pull knob (1)
  • Grill

What all has been procured
  • Piano Switches [2], Wiper Piano switch and the normal piano switch Procured
  • Stainless Steel Hubcaps [ did not get aluminium one's]
  • Speedometer properly done up
  • Boot Lock / Windshield washer bulb and bag (I am still trying to find out the bottle type windshield washer container
  • Front parking lenses

What the car still needs (The list is exhaustive, need help )
  • The original Fiat Engine
  • Original Horn button
  • Fuel cap with lock (Threaded one)
  • Fiat 1100 Monogram
  • wheel rims
  • 3 ivory bakelite pushpull knobs
  • Interior Lighted rear view mirror
  • Side patti's (door garnish)
  • Headlights (I have tried carelo headlamps but did not get them in ebay as well. Any pointers here would be appreciated.

The above is what I could think of at present. I will do the pictures talking as well

I will post the pictures in a while. Each picture that I have at present is around 3MB, so will resize them and then post them on the forum for everyone to see.
Old 1st October 2009, 09:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Superb find. Cant see a speck of rust although being not so well kept for a long time. It even has most of the originals. Please restore her and give her the attention long due.
That even surprises me. My 1993 PP has rust at lot of places but the elegant seriously does not have any major rust spots
Old 1st October 2009, 11:54   #13
BHPian

Good to see the thread opened Shiva. Hope Saleem has gotten back to his regular schedule and work will start on your already beautiful car.
Old 1st October 2009, 12:00   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see things moving here Shiva. All the best, do not hesitate to ask anything should you require.

If I remember right, this car also participated in a rally in Hyderabad a couple of years back?
Old 1st October 2009, 12:10   #15
BHPian

Congratulations on the acquisition Cyberdoctorind!!!
Beautiful car indeed. Do share some more pictures.

So what engine is the car currently running on??
MARCUS_520i is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed