Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2009, 09:52   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
Some more photographs of the car. The photo's were unfortunately taken in the evening when the car was being towed to the workshop of Saleem. I did not get a chance to take the photographs in broad day light from the point of the car being purchased to the time when the car was towed to Saleem
[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 200947[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
HI Mate,

first of all congrats for the nice Option, post the pictures of further restoration.

i guess in this pictures there is a Moris(i guess) is the owner planning to sell or any clue, how much did you paid for your car.

Please let me know or PM i will get in touch with u.
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:08   #32
BHPian

Some More pictures while the car is being towed to the restoration place
Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6362.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6360.jpg  

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6352.jpg  

Cyberdoctorind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:16   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Some More pictures while the car is being towed to the restoration place
Interesting safari there. Whose is it, the mechanic's?
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:17   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDY_RACER View Post
HI Mate,

first of all congrats for the nice Option, post the pictures of further restoration.

i guess in this pictures there is a Moris(i guess) is the owner planning to sell or any clue, how much did you paid for your car.

Please let me know or PM i will get in touch with u.
Thanks Racer for your wishes . The car in the background is Baby Hindustan and is for sale. I have seen the exterior of the car and I did not see any major rust spots. I have PM'ed you the details. I believe the seller telling me that there is a minor as well for sale.
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Interesting safari there. Whose is it, the mechanic's?
The contraception, I believe is or may not be safari. It has a diesel engine and all kinds of odd fittings. when enquired, the owner who is an associate of the painter told me that he has got the body modified
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:42   #36
BHPian

Restoration Contd ...

With car safely with the mechanic, the first thing to do was to strip the engine and the mechanicals so the car could be towed to the painter. Did not get a chance to drive the car even once, thanks to the Drag scheduled in Hyderabad due to which the resident mechanic fully occupied

So not to waste time with the car idling around, I have asked the painter to pick up the car so that atleast the body work can start while we all can decide on the color that the car should be shod with. I personally prefer the shades of blue.

Pictures contd ..
With the mechanicals Stripped out

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6367.jpg

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6380.jpg

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6381.jpg

Car towed to the Painter's shop

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6382.jpg

The engine work should start in the next couple of days as well
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The contraception, I believe is or may not be safari. It has a diesel engine and all kinds of odd fittings. when enquired, the owner who is an associate of the painter told me that he has got the body modified
OK. Well, that's a pity! Try to get that sunvisor for yourself though, that's an original fiat one.

BTW, um...'not meaning to be picky but the right word is actually contraption!

The word you typed has a totally different meaning, something to do with women!
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:17   #38
BHPian

The body work has started thankfully. The paint scrapping has started and I have seen that the original color to be whitish color. Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6387.jpg

Are the holes in the floor above correct or should I get them closed? A big gaping hole in the transmission channel! What is the use of this one? I tend to believe that this might be a LHD car initially

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6389.jpg

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-img_6390.jpg

The above 2 pictures show the car's original color to be a lighter white shade. I will post more photographs in the days to come as the body work is carried out.
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:22   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
OK. Well, that's a pity! Try to get that sunvisor for yourself though, that's an original fiat one.

BTW, um...'not meaning to be picky but the right word is actually contraption!

The word you typed has a totally different meaning, something to do with women!
Oops, I meant contraption. Thanks for correcting me sir . I have seen a 1100-103H in chennai, but the pity here was though the car bodyline was good, there was nothing which could be termed as original in the car
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are the holes in the floor above correct or should I get them closed? A big gaping hole in the transmission channel! What is the use of this one? I tend to believe that this might be a LHD car initially
I remember seeing that big hole in my Padmini too. Was my Padmini too LHD?
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:27   #41
BHPian

@Stanher
Hahahaha!!!
However, it has a lot to do with both men and women!!

@Cyberdoctorind
Wow! Acquired just 2 days back and got it stripped down already!!
Perhaps, the thread should be renamed as "Yet another lightning quick restoration".
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:35   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Many mechanics would add that hole, makes access much easier. You will see this later crude hole on a majority of cars. Holes for pedal placement on the left is from the factory for all LHD/RHD cars, making it easier for their production.

Your car has a later date registration - does the RC book state the original number and state it came from?
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Many mechanics would add that hole, makes access much easier. You will see this later crude hole on a majority of cars. Holes for pedal placement on the left is from the factory for all LHD/RHD cars, making it easier for their production.

Your car has a later date registration - does the RC book state the original number and state it came from?
Karl, So is it fine, that I get the crude hole closed? I will leave the holes intact which come as default from the factory for all LHD/RHD cars. Unfortunately the RC book is history. The earlier owner got the car registration done without precaution and the book is lost for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun1100
I remember seeing that big hole in my Padmini too. Was my Padmini too LHD?
Well it might not be a bad idea to cast my car from RHD to LHD then

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS_520i
Wow! Acquired just 2 days back and got it stripped down already!!
Perhaps, the thread should be renamed as "Yet another lightning quick restoration".
Marcus, I have purchased the car exactly 4 weeks ago and it was lying idle for good part of 3 weeks. So I am kind of getting things done in parallel to make up for the lost time
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:30   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl, So is it fine, that I get the crude hole closed? I will leave the holes intact which come as default from the factory for all LHD/RHD cars.
Confirm first with somebody more technically inclined. It may be a very practical alteration that is not visible at all, so you may want to retain it. It is to do with access to the gear box.
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Confirm first with somebody more technically inclined. It may be a very practical alteration that is not visible at all, so you may want to retain it. It is to do with access to the gear box.
The huge hole on the transmission tunnel is for filling up the gearbox oil (The funnel pipe is routed through it while filling). In Padminis, it came from the factory with a flap which could be opened or closed attached with a single screw. You can also add the flap but please refrain from closing it permently.

Regards,
Adheesh Parelkar

Last edited by adheesh : 2nd October 2009 at 17:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks