Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 08:58   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.SINGH View Post
Hi Mole,i have just joint in this club n was pleasantly surprised seeing ur FIAT 1100 and the way u have maintained its originality as for me i am also a die hard fan of these FIATs n have an old 1963 Fiat which belonged to my mother from the start n i still like to maintain it.Now i was woundering if u could help me finding some of its original parts....to start with the stearing wheel ....just like ur white one but in black....n the plastic meter cover like ur white one but in black....See if u can help in any way.....Thanks ...Singh.
Can you please post some pictures of the car so that we can help you in a better fashion
Old 7th October 2009, 16:11   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
I am quite surprised that nobody is looking at period greens for their project. If i am not mistaken there was a sort of metallic green also available. I am not sure Powder blue was offered in India for Elegants.
Amol, I vaguely remember a sort of metallic turquoise/aquamarine that belonged to an uncle of mine. Bought brand new in '57 and locked up in the garage ever since he crashed his plane with less than 5000 on the odo. Believe she's still in the time warp! The Selects and Super Ss came with a lighter green, I seem to remember. And talking of blues, the Elegant also came with a solid blue, like a darker non-metallic shade of the blue on your car, or something like a little darker shade of the blue in post # 55. Quite similar to the Maruti Racing Blue - not the best of colours, yet looked more palatable on the Elegant than the Marutis, IMO.
Old 7th October 2009, 20:07   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Amol, ....Bought brand new in '57 and locked up in the garage ever since he crashed his plane with less than 5000 on the odo...
Crashed his plane with less than 5000K on the odo ???? planes had odometers ?????
Old 7th October 2009, 20:43   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Crashed his plane with less than 5000K on the odo ???? planes had odometers ?????
He meant the Fiat had done 5000k on the odo.
Old 7th October 2009, 20:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Since Fiat also made aircraft, someone probably swapped the meters between the Auto and Aero divisions the day this Elegant was made (or in the pack sent for assembly at Kurla)!! I shudder when I think of the guy in the kite up there reading his speed in MPH with the help of a moving red tape!!

Now I understand why aficionados often remarked that these Fiats could really take off; some of them had altimeters fitted in them!!

My uncle though died in his Hawker Hunter. Possibly got wrong readings from the instrument panel - maybe his kite got Rolls Royce car meters along with the RR engine!!
Old 8th October 2009, 01:00   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since Fiat also made aircraft, someone probably swapped the meters between the Auto and Aero divisions the day this Elegant was made (or in the pack sent for assembly at Kurla)!! I shudder when I think of the guy in the kite up there reading his speed in MPH with the help of a moving red tape!!

Now I understand why aficionados often remarked that these Fiats could really take off; some of them had altimeters fitted in them!!

My uncle though died in his Hawker Hunter. Possibly got wrong readings from the instrument panel - maybe his kite got Rolls Royce car meters along with the RR engine!!
Prabal, You're a Riot ! .
Nearly fell off the chair laughing !!
Old 8th October 2009, 03:07   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Prabal i must say you are a very good writer just made me fall of my chair .
Old 8th October 2009, 05:27   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Amol, And talking of blues, the Elegant also came with a solid blue, like a darker non-metallic shade of the blue on your car, or something like a little darker shade of the blue in post # 55. Quite similar to the Maruti Racing Blue - not the best of colours, yet looked more palatable on the Elegant than the Marutis, IMO.
Thought you might want to see the original paint on my 62 Fiat when it was being stripped. It appears to be a blue green to my eye. Now that I take a closer look it appears that the original colour was beige. Any comments?

Does any one have the actual Fiat colour chips, photos or paint reference numbers?
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-r4_2.jpg  

Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-r3_2.jpg  

Old 8th October 2009, 11:51   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Thought you might want to see the original paint on my 62 Fiat when it was being stripped. It appears to be a blue green to my eye. Now that I take a closer look it appears that the original colour was beige. Any comments?

Does any one have the actual Fiat colour chips, photos or paint reference numbers?
Wow !! Here's a chip of the original paint that came off my car when she was being scraped.. Looks similar to yours, John ?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Yet another Fiat Elegant (AAX7503)-ss-colour.jpg  

Old 26th November 2009, 15:41   #70
BHPian

Help required!!!

My Joy of getting most of the spare parts for my elegant has turned to be a short lived dream. The painter who is in-charge at this phase of my car restoration decides to tell me that he has lost all my Window winder mechanism(gear/channel + the mechanism in the doors) for all the 4 doors and that to after 25 days after being stolen. If I have been told earlier of this I would atleast have picked them from the super select WBF that was scrapped in Hyderabad a couple of days ago

Are the entire community of mechanics the same irresponsible tribe with no regards of the cars/owners being worked on?

I need help in sourcing the 4 window winder mechanism without which my restoration would not be complete at any cost.
Old 26th November 2009, 16:01   #71
BHPian

I have been able to procure the following spares
  • The original Fiat Engine
  • Original Horn button
  • Fuel cap with lock (Threaded one)
  • Fiat 1100 Monogram
  • wheel rims Procured 5 Select Rims with clips
  • 3 ivory bakelite pushpull knobs Still Searching
  • Interior Lighted rear view mirror
  • Headlights Due to the difficulty in procuring carelo small lights, I am planning to use the Select bigger headlamps with Bigger rings which were available in the US version of the elegents

Now I need the following
  • All 4 Window Winder mechanisms (My Painter has reported them to be stolen from the parts bin)
  • One Aluminium inside door handle
  • One Aluminium Drivers side outside door handle with lock
  • One center light assembly
  • Rear cabin lights on the C-pillar
Old 26th November 2009, 17:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdoctorind View Post
I have been able to procure the following spares
  • The original Fiat Engine
  • Original Horn button
  • Fuel cap with lock (Threaded one)
  • Fiat 1100 Monogram
  • wheel rims Procured 5 Select Rims with clips
  • 3 ivory bakelite pushpull knobs Still Searching
  • Interior Lighted rear view mirror
  • Headlights Due to the difficulty in procuring carelo small lights, I am planning to use the Select bigger headlamps with Bigger rings which were available in the US version of the elegents
Now I need the following
  • All 4 Window Winder mechanisms (My Painter has reported them to be stolen from the parts bin)
Shiva,

It's sad but at the same time, there are enough people in team-bhp to help. There is a car rotting away in bangalore, i believe that could be a doner. Are you making a trip to bangalore on Saturday.
Old 26th November 2009, 18:02   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Shiva,

It's sad but at the same time, there are enough people in team-bhp to help. There is a car rotting away in bangalore, i believe that could be a doner. Are you making a trip to bangalore on Saturday.
Seriously Manish, T-Bhpian's have lifted up my spirits within a few minutes. I have been speaking to Amol,Karl and Suren as well and they have also provided me some leads in procuring the set We can also go and have a look at the car that you have mentioned this saturday. Let's see how my luck turns out

Thank you brothers for your spirit and great team work that is hard to find anywhere else
Old 26th November 2009, 18:07   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now I need the following
Congrats on your acquisitions and at the same time, sad to hear about your loss as well!! I guess you should've picked up the ones from WBB the other day...but anyways, as manish said, the 'donor' car could give you some luck. Not to lose hope as yet.
BTW, which inside door handle do you require? Door locking one or window-winding one?
And how about the pics. of our donor car that you'd taken that day?

Last edited by Stanher : 26th November 2009 at 18:22. Reason: made a mistake in post
Old 26th November 2009, 21:19   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Seriously Manish, T-Bhpian's have lifted up my spirits within a few minutes. I have been speaking to Amol,Karl and Suren as well and they have also provided me some leads in procuring the set We can also go and have a look at the car that you have mentioned this saturday. Let's see how my luck turns out

Thank you brothers for your spirit and great team work that is hard to find anywhere else
hi use the indsuzuki headlights with the ring it looks nearly orginal and good night vision

Most Viewed