Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2009, 11:37   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Sanjay so where will you be getting new pistons and bearings from? Are these easily available?
Regards
Bearings are easy enough to get but pistons are more difficult. Trying form a number of different sources. There are a couple of companies in the U.K that supply parts for old British bikes so that will be my best bet.

/sanjay
Old 19th December 2009, 14:06   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by san9jay View Post
Bearings are easy enough to get but pistons are more difficult. Trying form a number of different sources. There are a couple of companies in the U.K that supply parts for old British bikes so that will be my best bet.

/sanjay
I believe bearings are the same as Standard Herald!
Old 19th December 2009, 14:50   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im assuming the bike was not taxed/insured/certified for the last few decades as well. To start with you can approach the RTO with a letter from your uncle's legal heir (assuming he was the registered owner). There is a provision to issue a duplicate set. A problem can arise when the RTO themselves will have no record, as it may not have been updated for decades. A known agent (check credentials) can assist you for this.

Perhaps Dussey and others can assist as well.

Do share some pictures of the project to guage an idea of condition and missing parts.
You may have to find out which RTO the bike was registered. Normally the records will be there unless they are damaged or lost in some accident. You may have to spend some time and money.
Old 19th December 2009, 16:35   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but pistons are more difficult. There are a couple of companies in the U.K that supply parts for old British bikes so that will be my best bet.
/sanjay
Okay Sanjay, if you want a lead, then try this company for new pistons. They cast them for many vehicles
www.jp.com.au/MCT.html
maybe about AUS $ 145 each

Karlos
what's happened to Sudarshan and his bike or bikes in pune? Does he still have the Goldstar?

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 19th December 2009 at 16:38.
Old 19th December 2009, 16:51   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karlos
what's happened to Sudarshan and his bike or bikes in pune? Does he still have the Goldstar?
Sudarshan and his bikes are very much around, his Goldstar looks fab and moves even better. Incidentally my Tiger 100 is with him for work.
Old 19th December 2009, 17:14   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Sudarshan and his bikes are very much around, his Goldstar looks fab and moves even better. Incidentally my Tiger 100 is with him for work.
Karlos,
Okay thats good to hear. I remember he had some problem with the engine case of the Goldie and he needed a piston. I had given him the contact to same company in Australia J P auto. Say "Hi" to him it's been a long time, don't know if he will remember me. Tell him I am Mahesh Powale's friend.. if he still doesn't then tell him we have another common friend in London Paul of Mecloid's petrol pump who duped him off a Bonneville. That was some story he told me about how he was cheated and tricked from buying a good bike.
Best
Nigel

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 19th December 2009 at 17:15.
Old 22nd January 2010, 02:12   #67
BHPian

A quick note after a hasty inspection of the photographs. The Speed Twin runs off a magneto (Lucas or sometimes BTH) and not an alternator. What then, is an alternator coil doing on the clutch cover. I knew something was fishy when I saw the clutch cover. You'll have to look out for a magneto and the original clutch cover as well. Get rid of that stupid coil - I suspect it would originate from a Bullet.

Kyle
Old 22nd January 2010, 22:23   #68

triumph used delcos for some of their bikes even in twins check out the manual if you have it .the coil in the clutch cover is to recharge the battery for delco like bullet in these days.
the delco used was lucas DKX2A on this bike if iam correct.
currently iam restoring a triumph 3t which has a lucas K2F mag.
Old 23rd January 2010, 22:51   #69
Senior - BHPian

The Speed Twin and other similar bikes of this vintage indeed came fitted with a magneto. What usually happens is it burns out or can't be fixed so the owners, in the interest of keeping the bikes reunning, replace it with a distributor / coil setup.

Its usually from four cylinder car with only two of the leads in use.
Old 25th January 2010, 13:55   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
..similar bikes of this vintage indeed came fitted with a magneto. What usually happens is it burns out or can't be fixed so the owners, in the interest of keeping the bikes reunning, replace it with a distributor
What burns out and what can't be fixed? If you mean a magneto or the insides of it I won't agree. I've got mags fixed when I was a kid from people who did just that, and people have been getting them repaired even before that. There were many old timers in India who'd fix these. As of today we have an expert on our forum who will give you a ready wound coil across the table in exchange for your old bunt out Brit bike coil, in mumbai. He fixes more than magnetos too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...info-here.html
Sometime ago I've heard that bangalore has their own expert too. So if anyone is thinking of changing to a distributor for some reason. there is still hope to get that mag repaired.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 25th January 2010 at 13:58.
Old 25th January 2010, 14:39   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What burns out and what can't be fixed? If you mean a magneto or the insides of it I won't agree. I've got mags fixed when I was a kid from people who did just that, and people have been getting them repaired even before that. There were many old timers in India who'd fix these. As of today we have an expert on our forum who will give you a ready wound coil across the table in exchange for your old bunt out Brit bike coil, in mumbai. He fixes more than magnetos too.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...info-here.html
Sometime ago I've heard that bangalore has their own expert too. So if anyone is thinking of changing to a distributor for some reason. there is still hope to get that mag repaired.
The Mags would malfunction and in those days ther were hardly anyone around who could do a good job on them and then it was quiet expensive too so people would switch to distributor / coil igntition.

I am sure there are people who can fix them and we have the expertise of Magneto availabe here but I was refering to the practice of old when there was no internet and findind someone who could do the job correctly was a hassle.
Old 25th January 2010, 15:26   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The Mags would malfunction and in those days ther were hardly anyone around who could do a good job on them and then it was quiet expensive too so people would switch to distributor / coil igntition.....but I was refering to the practice of old when there was no internet and findind someone who could do the job correctly was a hassle.
On the contrary. In the old days there were people who would wind these coils by hand and use varnish to paint these coils. We had two guys near each other, just buildings apart in charni road. One was Lallu and the other was Nair. Lallu had my bmw magneto for months on end and did nothing and my gut feeling was that it's nothing really bad in the coil. I took it to Nair and he just put in a fiat capacitor and I used the bike. They both could repair and wind mag coils. I would never be able to find a distributor for my bmw's. I was talking to a friend who owned and repaired triumphs. He mentioned that the earlier triumph twins had a magneto and a dynamo running off the timing gear wheels. After the 60's he says he foudn bikes with a distributor in place of the mag and an alternator on the crank.

Magnetos gave trouble when they got damp because of the old technology of insulation and the varnish used. I'm sure Hyderabad with so many old cars and bike has had people to repair these mag even in the old days. Same with Chennai and bangalore.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 25th January 2010 at 15:29.
Old 25th January 2010, 16:09   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On the contrary. In the old days there were people who would wind these coils by hand and use varnish to paint these coils. We had two guys near each other, just buildings apart in charni road. One was Lallu and the other was Nair. Lallu had my bmw magneto for months on end and did nothing and my gut feeling was that it's nothing really bad in the coil. I took it to Nair and he just put in a fiat capacitor and I used the bike. They both could repair and wind mag coils. I would never be able to find a distributor for my bmw's. I was talking to a friend who owned and repaired triumphs. He mentioned that the earlier triumph twins had a magneto and a dynamo running off the timing gear wheels. After the 60's he says he foudn bikes with a distributor in place of the mag and an alternator on the crank.

Magnetos gave trouble when they got damp because of the old technology of insulation and the varnish used. I'm sure Hyderabad with so many old cars and bike has had people to repair these mag even in the old days. Same with Chennai and bangalore.
If you say so. I guess I don't know what I am talking about.
Old 25th January 2010, 20:21   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Wasif,

Does anybody have access to repair manuals in PDF format or hard copies that they would be willing to share/sell to me for the Triumph 5T SpeedTwin?

/sanjay
Sanjay: I have a Haynes Workshop Manual for the 350& 500 Twins. This covers the 5TA model among others. Im not sure if I'd be able to scan or copy the whole book as it is a pretty big one but if you are looking for something specific let me know and I can scan those pages and send it to you.

CHeers
Old 25th January 2010, 21:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

wasif but I'm no expert myself. I read somewhere and a friend who lives in the UK just told me the same thing (The 5T and the Thunderbird were the first Triumphs to go to alternater electrics back in the early fifties, I believe @1953. They also changed from magneto ignition to a car type distributor with 2 ht outputs mounted horizontally in place of the magneto with the coil piggy-backed on an L-shaped bracket above it using the same mounting studs as the distributor. The Tigers kept their magnetos and dynamos for a while though, don't know till when for sure but I think it was till after the swing arm models came in and possibly not till they went unit construction.)
My friend from here who used to repair these bikes said '60's

San9jay a message for you (Sanjay should be able to get a tank fairly easily, might be worth him joining the Vintage Club just for the ads. in their magazine, they have web site at The Vintage Motor Cycle Club Limited, it'll cost him £35 for a years subs but it could be worth while.)

Triumph Speed Twin and Tiger 100 buyers guide, with history, specifications and buying tips.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 25th January 2010 at 21:42.

Most Viewed