Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2010, 00:09   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylohere View Post
A quick note after a hasty inspection of the photographs. The Speed Twin runs off a magneto (Lucas or sometimes BTH) and not an alternator. What then, is an alternator coil doing on the clutch cover. I knew something was fishy when I saw the clutch cover. You'll have to look out for a magneto and the original clutch cover as well. Get rid of that stupid coil - I suspect it would originate from a Bullet.

Kyle
Kyle !! You seem to be confused ???? The alternator or a dynamo is for charging the electricals. The magnetto or delco is for inducing spark to run the machine. The 55/56 did come come with an alternator with magnetto.

Last edited by dominator : 26th January 2010 at 00:10.
Old 26th January 2010, 20:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

Kyle, no engine runs off an alternator, rather its the the magneto or battery/distributor & coil ignition which creates High voltage to jump across the spark plug gap. If you look closely at where a magneto fits on a older triumphs you will notice that this bike has a distributor. Above that is a L bracket on which fits the actual high tension coil which sends the voltage to the distributor center wire from where it goes to either left or right spark plug via the two outer cables going from the distributor. I believe that this is original on Sanjays bike. Here's a photo of the whole thing. And also a picture of another bike showing you where the HT coil fits
About the window on the chain cover, more a guess than anything else but considering that the stator is mounted onto the inside of the chaincase which then mounts onto the crankcase this would allow it to be checked that the rotor was not rubbing against the stator.
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-sanjays-5t.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-triumph.jpg  

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 26th January 2010 at 20:58.
Old 27th January 2010, 11:14   #78
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the dustributor on this bike close it appears to be the original one as it has just two leads on the cap plus the one for the coil.

i guess this is not a replacment for a malfunctioning distributor.
Old 27th January 2010, 23:59   #79
BHPian

My dear friends!
I know that the magneto is used to provide the spark in a mag/dyno setup while the dyno supplies the juice to the battery that in turn powers the lights and other such ancillaries. I apologise if I made myself seem, well, uninitiated.

What I meant to say was the bike cannot be a 55-56 because sprung hub rear suspension was done away with in 55 and coil ignition came in early 1954. Also, the clutch cover is most definitely not off a 5T. The 5T never came with an inspection hole for the coil on the clutch cover. There's a certain ridge that is fitted over the part that covers the crank cush spring.

You cannot have both a coil and a magneto running the spark plug.
Old 28th January 2010, 00:18   #80
BHPian

Just as you can't have a coil and magneto running at the same time, an alternator as well as a dynamo won't make sense either. Another clue why I think the clutch cover and stator aren't of the model year that the bike seems to be is because the older rigid/sprung hub models have a dynamo mounted just below the frame's forward downtube and is fitted into the engine cradle bracket. There is no provision for a coil to be mounted in such a way that it rotates over the crank. From the photos, it seems like the bracket, when viewed from the left side, appears to have a round hole that has been blocked off. Then again, this is from a photograph and I could have been mislead.
Old 11th February 2010, 23:36   #81
BHPian

The bike is a 1953 Speedtwin 5T based on the engine number and the reference Bible here.

Click the above link and browse through till you see the references on the engine numbers vs manufacture year.

Based on my engine number 44619 and based on the fact that 3620 units were built in 1953 that would be approximately 400 units per month since manufacturing ended 14-09-1953 putting the manufacturing date of my bike in the last month of manufacture which is Sept 1953.

My bike has an alternator and points system which is as expected for a 53 model.

To give you all an update on the restoration. The work has been going very well. The frame has been powder coated and painted. The tank is nearly ready.

Unfortunately the badges that i bought from UK were the wrong size for my tank so I have ordered another set which hopefully will be correct.

I ordered a complete set of gaskets on ebay and they arrived today.

I have ordered a set of stainless steel spokes and nipples for the wheels.

The Smiths Chronometric speedometer has been fully restored by a genius from bangalore. I am simply in awe of the work he has done to get my meter back to fully working order and looking like new.

I got a replacement seat from Delhi and a lookalike ammeter.

Exhaust construction will probably get done in two weeks

All parts have been buffed and cleaned ready for the rebuild.

Engine rebuild will start shortly and as soon the spokes arrive we will start the rebuild.

I am itching to get to see the bike back on its wheels again.

/sanjay
Old 12th February 2010, 10:11   #82
BHPian

I am looking for a replacement Amal carburetor for this bike.

Does anyone know a source where I can get an original Amal carb?

The current carb is a Mikuni which seems to have been replaced during the last restoration.

/sanjay
Old 15th February 2010, 09:24   #83
BHPian

Hi Sanjay!

Can you post a few pics of the work that has been completed? For people like me, pics play a important role in relating to the work done!!
Old 16th February 2010, 12:23   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Hi Sanjay!

Can you post a few pics of the work that has been completed? For people like me, pics play a important role in relating to the work done!!
I will once the parts are all in once place and just before we start the rebuild.

Currently stuff is all over the place.

/sanjay
Old 18th February 2010, 16:24   #85
BHPian

Way to go!

Hi Sanjay!
I'm certainly impressed with the pace of your restoration of the 5T. Kudos!

About the carbs, well, there are three options. The first, you up-jet the Mikuni and use it as it is. The good part is that Mikunis are great for bikes that are used as everyday transport - easy to start and easy to tune. The downside is that they look horrid on these old bikes.

The second, you scrounge around and pick up an old Amal from dealers in and around your city. The good part is that you'll get the real thing and for a relatively cheap price. The downside is that the carb will almost always be used and worn carbs are as good as cattle fodder. Sure, you could sleeve and put in a larger slide etc, but they're hardly ever perfect after that. Also, they might leak and that could be particularly dangerous because the magneto is just below. As everybody knows, fuel and sparks make sense only when they're both INSIDE the combustion chamber.

The third, you log on to 'www.amalcarb.co.uk' and order yourself a brand new carb. The good part is that it will be brand new and original as well. The downside is that it could cost a packet. But then again, no leaks and you're assured that the jets, slides, needles etc are all brand new.

Hope this helps.

Kyle.

PS: If you want my opinion, I'd recommend that you use the Mikuni (jetted suitably, of course) for everyday runs and the Amal for rallies and such. Take for instance my good old WD-M20 that was running on an Amal in good condition. It ran well when it wanted to but sometimes just wouldn't start. I tried on a Mikuni and the old girl just couldn't get enough of it. She was running hot and so I upjetted to a 120 main jet and then she ran just perfect. She starts up ever single time and hasn't given up a ghost till date. Touch wood. That reminds me, I have to get her a new chain. She'd like that! They always do!
Old 18th February 2010, 16:58   #86
BHPian

Thanks for the info.

I did some searching on ebay and have managed to pick up what looks like a fully reconditioned Amal Monobloc 376/15 which is pretty appropriate for my bike. The seller claims the carb has new parts and is ready to use.

It was originally fitted on a 1955-56 BSA Shooting Star A7 so that makes it about the right vintage and size.

Lets wait and see when it comes to me.

Here are the pics of the carb I bought.

/sanjay
Attached Thumbnails
Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-amal_monobloc_376_15_rebuilt_side.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-amal_monobloc_376_15_rebuilt_port.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-amal_monobloc_376_15_rebuilt_top.jpg  

Restoring a Triumph 5T Speed Twin-amal_monobloc_376_15_rebuilt_bottom.jpg  

Old 19th February 2010, 01:11   #87
Senior - BHPian

This carburator seems to be like the one on I have it for my Royal Enfield 62 model (Mono Block) I was told it gives a great performance to the bike than the Mikuni/Micarb and I have brought it for 6000/- its pretty new and in working condition.

Last edited by chanu : 19th February 2010 at 01:12.
Old 19th February 2010, 08:49   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
This carburator seems to be like the one on I have it for my Royal Enfield 62 model (Mono Block) I was told it gives a great performance to the bike than the Mikuni/Micarb and I have brought it for 6000/- its pretty new and in working condition.
Do you have the model number?

As far as I know the Amal is unlikely to give better performance than a mikuni but the Amal is the original carb so if you are going for originality then Amal it is.

Most reports that I have seen usually state that the Mikuni works better.

/sanjay
Old 19th February 2010, 09:18   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been using a Mikuni on my 56 Tiger 100 for around 3 years now, and it performs so much better than the Amal (at least in terms of practicality, reliability, and ridablilty in the city/traffic). The Amal did give me the feeling of better top end power, but only when flat out. Either ways, I am very happy with the Mikuni and the Amal stays safely stowed away in my cupboard ready for shows.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

I haven't tested it practically on the bike as I am intending to do it soon. I see most of the classics esp the 350s' are run on Mikuni, I've seen two Norton twins past tuesday both running on Amal. My BSA till it was there with me it was running on Amal and it was as good as a new gen carburattor never had a problem and the performanc was real awesome 350cc engine gave the optimum performance.

Mikuni is also a good replacement for Amal but not sure for the twins experts can only give out a better advice.

San9jy I will find out the number and let you know soon.

Most Viewed