Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2009, 23:35   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A bright green Vespa is found here with some intricate work on the headlight ring.
Aha, even before the first pic. downloaded, I guessed that this has to be a Hyderabadi Vespa!

This kind of artwork is quite popular here. Atlhough I've seen it more on bullets, I did see a chetak once with similar work done on the headlight ring. This scoot seems to have moved to Delhi now.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:04   #32

I have an aging Piaggio PL 170 in my garage right now. Was on the block for sale as scrap.
i'm looking to restore it somehow. I have no idea how to go about it.
The last repair was carried out in 1995 or so. We imported a carburetor from italy to get it repaired. Dont even know if she'll even start now.
Old 31st October 2009, 11:48   #33
BHPian

New LML 4 stroke scooter ?

Recently I have seen an article in Overdrive or Autocar(I just can't remember) that LML introduced LML 4 stroke scooter in Delhi, Chandigarh and some other parts of North India. I am also surprised to know that they continue to market LML 150 scooters in Delhi and Chandigarh. I request Delhi/Chandigarh based Tbhpn's to publish photos, technical details about new LML, On road price, dealer's address and contact no., etc., Please...
Old 31st October 2009, 15:42   #34
BHPian

Colour Combination

Thanks Chief. Share some of the combination pictures if you have any. I am particularly interested in the yellow you mentioned. Do you know anything about OE side car and availability in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Yes indeed there were company painted original two tones for the Vespas, till I believe 1961 or so (for a year). Though the single colour scheme was too popular, two tones like plum brown on the side panels and a lemon yellow body and the next one with a light ocean blue and not very dark blue side panels were available
Old 31st October 2009, 22:56   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srivathsa_Satya View Post
Thanks Chief. Share some of the combination pictures if you have any. I am particularly interested in the yellow you mentioned. Do you know anything about OE side car and availability in India?
Sadly Satya I do not have pictures of the two tone Vespas.The blue scheme was owned by a Professor in our college while the yellow/brown scheme was owned by a neighbour.
About sidecars I have too little information. Were these made by the manufacturers or by accessory makers?
I am not sure but I am sure Globe was a sidecar maker. They also made chrome accessories- for instance front mudguard bumpers (for Lambrettas too)and the side footrests (those chrome plated rods affixed around the rear panels) for Vespas.
Old 3rd November 2009, 02:55   #36
BHPian

Nice thread

From the media, I heard a possible relaunch of Vespas in the coming year. Anyone have more details?
Here I'm uploading one vespa that I saw here in Belgium. This is a geared one like our good old NV 150, but even older model I suppose.

Moderators.. please watermark if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-img_0056.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2009, 10:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

A similar kind of scooter was launched by LML in the past by the name
"PULSE" which is also a 4 geared scooter with similar body.
Old 3rd November 2009, 13:28   #38
BHPian

Hey guys, did you know where the peculiar front suspesion of the Vespa comes from.... from a WW-II fighter, unluckily the war ended sooner than they thought and this company had huge amount of spare nose wheel landing gears going at throw away price, vespa (piaggio) bought them and the rest as they say, is history
Old 3rd November 2009, 17:23   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
A similar kind of scooter was launched by LML in the past by the name
"PULSE" which is also a 4 geared scooter with similar body.
Yes. The pulse was a 125cc one if I remember correctly. But the 150cc engines were with enough power though personally I never get a fuel efficiency higher than 40km/l for our Vespa T5. We still have him with us (16th year) running without any problem. In terms of initial pick up, he can still beat most of the 4 stroke 100cc motorcycles available in India.
Old 5th November 2009, 14:06   #40
BHPian

Yea. Just fell in love with this thread. I have restored my old vespa to a white and red colour scheme. Will post the pics as soon as I can take them...
Old 5th November 2009, 19:49   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_mirage View Post
Yea. Just fell in love with this thread. I have restored my old vespa to a white and red colour scheme. Will post the pics as soon as I can take them...
Vespas have been dear to me but I have never personally owned one.They are the simplest machines on two wheels. Can be parked for months together and just a few kicks are needed to start it. I have driven Vespas and Bajajs belonging to relatives and friends. My dad owned three Lambrettas one after the other and so I learnt driving a two wheeler with a 1967 Lambretta that we owned. It was much before I could get a driving licence. One day my cousin visited with us to show us the gleaming new olive green Vespa his dad had bought. I asked for the keys and took it out for a spin.The Lambretta had a very balanced body with a centrally mounted engine but was chain driven so riding it and pumping gas with the accelerator would'nt amuse it as much and it would take speed at its own sweet will. Whereas the Vespa was shaft driven and would respond swiftly (much like a CRDi engine vis a vis any Old diesel) . So riding the Vespa was a new found experience and I found some thrill that was missing in the Lambretta, but was not at all used to the side mounted engine of the Vespa, which needed acclimatisation much like the rear engine mounted VW Beetle . I was moving around with all the time in the world much like stray cattle and suddenly realised that my cousin had to go back home. So I suddenly turned the Vespa to rush home . And the worst happened! The Vespa hit the fencing (luckily it was not a cemented wall) which was bushy with barbed wires.The scooter's mudguard was damaged a bit but I suffered a fall. The footboard was dented a bit. I was very scared and took the gleaming beauty back home.It was new and no accessories were fitted, not even the seat covers or a footmat.My cousin got a bit upset and my uncle too, whose scooter it was. But being a child I was forgiven! they simply laughed it away later.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 5th November 2009 at 19:58.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2009, 00:58   #42
Senior - BHPian

You took us to your childhood Anjan, I know how it feels remembering. Here is my story which made me a happy man having an 1964 vespa which moves like a dream. My dad had a 1964 vespa which in later times was kept aside as dad felt TVS 50 XL was zippy and lighter, then I was around 14-15 yrs I feet couldnt even reach the ground. I used to take it out when my dad is out for his office my mom (sweet heart) used to give me money for petrol and I used to have fun till my dad comes back. One day dad gave it for overhauling I took the delivery of the scooter to surprise my dad. Dad felt happy seeing me driving (must have though the kid is grown up) A lovely scooter with sturdy build, excellent maneuvaration abilities. Then cam a day when I find the scooter was missing later after much hue and cry dad told me it was sold for good. That is when I promised my dad that I will own one for me and after a long struggle I found my vespa ( The way I wanted) a original vespa (single owner) she is my love and still one kick start. Trust me when I am low on mood I take her with me she makes me a HAPPY MAN !!
Old 7th November 2009, 01:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Here is my love (flying sparrow), you might have seen her in another thread "lets talk Italiano". comments/suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-flying20sparrow.jpg  

chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2009, 20:58   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Here is my love (flying sparrow), you might have seen her in another thread "lets talk Italiano". comments/suggestions are welcome.
Chanu very nicely kept example. Guess its a 1964-66 model.And your love story with the Vespa is fantastic. Shows the Vespa coming back into your life again.
Old 9th November 2009, 21:36   #45
BHPian

For Sale

Guys: I am partying with 2 of my scooters.
1. 1967 Vespa unrestored but in great running condition.
2. 1973 Lambretta, completely restored.

If interested mail me at tuffryder@gmail.com for pictures and details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks