Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 18:27   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

The horn housing on the body was sleek and lean on the front side, in the one above (a 1965 example) that continued till from 1960-1976.After 1976 it became a bit bulbous as is seen in the picture below. This went away when the indicators appeared in 1989.
The front wheel rim on the place where it fitted with the wheel disc (including hub), had many small tooth like members arrayed in a concentric layout as seen in the upper picture(1960-1971).These were not seen in the examples after perhaps the collaboration with Piaggio ended (lower picture).
Vespas and Vespas only-untitled1.jpg
Vespas and Vespas only-untitled2.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 16th May 2010 at 18:30.
Old 16th May 2010, 23:04   #107
Senior - BHPian

The below example is a scooter with Cheatak front suspension assembeled to a vespa however you are right Anjan Bajaj 150's front brake drum were plain with out the tooth like pattern. Piaggio collboration ended and that is when Vespa 150 stopped I guess. Vespas had two types of handles as I am not sure of the year. They had the cheatak type meters I guess from 62 and later they were adorned with conical type at the bottom with round meters similar to the Bajaj 150s'.

Last edited by chanu : 16th May 2010 at 23:05.
Old 17th May 2010, 12:55   #108
BHPian

LML sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by okvinu View Post
From the media, I heard a possible relaunch of Vespas in the coming year. Anyone have more details?
Here I'm uploading one vespa that I saw here in Belgium. This is a geared one like our good old NV 150, but even older model I suppose.

Moderators.. please watermark if necessary.
Interestingly, this particular model has been released in India under the name LML SENSATION. I saw a red specimen in Mapusa, Goa recently. I guess it's not popular.

I I
Old 17th May 2010, 13:22   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The horn housing on the body was sleek and lean on the front side, in the one above (a 1965 example) that continued till from 1960-1976.After 1976 it became a bit bulbous as is seen in the picture below. This went away when the indicators appeared in 1989.
The front wheel rim on the place where it fitted with the wheel disc (including hub), had many small tooth like members arrayed in a concentric layout as seen in the upper picture(1960-1971).These were not seen in the examples after perhaps the collaboration with Piaggio ended (lower picture).
Attachment 349334
Attachment 349335
What I have concluded is that there are 3 handles for Vespas:
1) One is a crested type with clamshell speedo and a slightly SMALL headlight (same headlight size as priya or bajaj 150 or Indian vespa with round meter)
2) The later type (I believe it started in 65 models) had a slightly ENLARGED headlight (I believe this may fit chetaks, however I have to verify) and same crested handle with clamshell speedo (I have one of these original used handles for SALE, pm me).
3) The round meter type with a similar old style small headlight (also used on Bajaj 150s)
4) Even the Priya/super type handle uses the small headlight

The round meter never came in Italian vespas.. It was an Indian invention to differentiate the Bajaj version. I believe that perhaps veglia didn't allow their speedo to be copied, thus forcing Bajaj to come up with an alternative for people needing replacement.

Even the little speedometer mounting bracket that enables you to attach a round meter to an Italian handle is a completely Indian invention.

The round speedometer you see nowadays with vespa written on them are made in Delhi and aftermarket. Still, they're pretty cool and I've fixed one on my vespa.

I also know that the more angular horncast with hexagonal badge holder came from Bajaj 150 onwards through Priya, Super and even early chetaks. But I've seen so many vespas with it, that I have a doubt.

Attached are some pics of my vespa, which I still love and ride everyday. I spent a lot of time making sure the colour and lacquer was perfect. But now a part of me wants to get rid of it because the horncast isn't the right one... I spent a lot restoring it before realizing. As soon as I realized, I didn't feel like putting more money into it. As a result, many parts I have collected, like white rubbers, chrome flower type horn, fork trim, badges, levers, etc have been kept aside in case I find an all original vespa. I still like my vespa for the authentic 1967 Mumbai number.

Could anyone manage to procure a nice horncast from somewhere? I know they are available in Delhi, but they quote something like 1500, and in addition to welding and painting costs, it would seem futile to experiment in such a way.
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-img813lo.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img0372.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img816.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-img812.jpg  

Old 17th May 2010, 19:59   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
The below example is a scooter with Cheatak front suspension assembeled to a vespa however you are right Anjan Bajaj 150's front brake drum were plain with out the tooth like pattern. Piaggio collboration ended and that is when Vespa 150 stopped I guess. Vespas had two types of handles as I am not sure of the year. They had the cheatak type meters I guess from 62 and later they were adorned with conical type at the bottom with round meters similar to the Bajaj 150s'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinsaan View Post
What I have concluded is that there are 3 handles for Vespas:
1) One is a crested type with clamshell speedo and a slightly SMALL headlight (same headlight size as priya or bajaj 150 or Indian vespa with round meter)
2) The later type (I believe it started in 65 models) had a slightly ENLARGED headlight (I believe this may fit chetaks, however I have to verify) and same crested handle with clamshell speedo (I have one of these original used handles for SALE, pm me).
3) The round meter type with a similar old style small headlight (also used on Bajaj 150s)
4) Even the Priya/super type handle uses the small headlight

The round meter never came in Italian vespas.. It was an Indian invention to differentiate the Bajaj version. I believe that perhaps veglia didn't allow their speedo to be copied, thus forcing Bajaj to come up with an alternative for people needing replacement.

Even the little speedometer mounting bracket that enables you to attach a round meter to an Italian handle is a completely Indian invention.

The round speedometer you see nowadays with vespa written on them are made in Delhi and aftermarket. Still, they're pretty cool and I've fixed one on my vespa.

I also know that the more angular horncast with hexagonal badge holder came from Bajaj 150 onwards through Priya, Super and even early chetaks. But I've seen so many vespas with it, that I have a doubt.
Indeed I will start to mention about the handlebars that came with Indian Vespas and Bajaj's (only made by Bajaj Auto Ltd) since 1960.
(1)1960: The handlebar was the normal kind with the clamshell speedo of Veglia make. The speedo was Italian and there was a red light to indicate high beam just ahead of the speedo.
(2)1965: The government wanted imports to be stopped and wanted indigenisation.Thats when the clam shaped speedo gave way to the round one (Yenkay make) for which a special raised housing was made. Otherwise the handlebar was the same.The red pilot light continued.
(3)1968: The handlebar was the same but the speedo housing was changed.The top of the handlebar was smoothened to accommodate the round Yenkay speedo.The raised speedo housing and red pilot lamp were gone and the handlebar now looked aesthetic.
(4)1978: The Bajaj Super came along and again the Indian made clam shell speedo was introduced.
(5)1978: The Bajaj Chetak was sold to those who could pay in dollars and this had a larger headlight but the same clam shell speedo.The Chetak continued till its last stages (1990's) with the same handlebar configuration.
(6)1985: The Bajaj Super got the Priya kind of handlebar, with the small round headlight and the round Pricol speedo with a smoothened handlebar a reminder of the 1968 looks. The handlebar however had screws and detachable plates below to repair and provide access to speedo cables, clutch & brake wires.The Bajaj Cub (started prodn in 1985) had this same handlebar.
(7)1990:The Bajaj Super FE was introduced with the Chetak handlebar that had the large headlights and the Indian made Pricol clam shell speedometer.
Old 18th May 2010, 00:09   #111
Senior - BHPian

I can understand what your feelings are like insaneinsan (sorry dont know your name) its a bajaj 150 or it could be a body change I'm not sure by the pictures. A very good attempt to restore the scooter unfortunately most of the parts resemble a Bajaj 150. I wonder why is the pillion seat is like that, is it borrowed from a lambretta or someother scooter?

It is not that difficult to get a original vespa. I have also been in constant touch with a old man who has a good vespa but the end model which he is unwilling to give me.

You will surely get a Vespa but you need to be in constant touch with any old scooter mechanic and scrap yard guys, as now-a-days scooters are dwendling. all the best and do let me know (PM) for any help.
Old 19th May 2010, 20:54   #112
BHPian

Thanks chanu. I'll look forward to hearing some updates from you.

This type of pillion seat was common on priyas. You're right, mine is more of a Bajaj 150 than a vespa. Another point to mention is the position of the choke. The choke in vespas is exactly above the fuel on/off knob. Whereas in the Bajaj 150/Priya chassis, it was adjacent to it. This doesn't detract much from the look, but it needs to be mentioned nevertheless.

The horn also became black in these later models, as did the levers, switch cover, headlight rim, taillight housing, dickey latch, seat handle etc. Definitely a cost cutting measure to save on metal and chroming.
Old 14th June 2010, 22:29   #113
BHPian

My PL 170

Some more pictures of my PL 170 after the Phase I restoration, it still needs some cosmetic and engine overhaul,
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0315.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0316.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0317.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0318.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0319.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0320.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0321.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0322.jpg  

Old 14th June 2010, 22:43   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
Some more pictures of my PL 170 after the Phase I restoration, it still needs some cosmetic and engine overhaul,
Thats a good job done srisha. A Piaggio logo below the headlight will make the look complete.The tail light, footboard ribs and other gaps can be made up. Spares may not be that tough to procure.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 14th June 2010 at 22:49.
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:59   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneinsaan View Post
Another point to mention is the position of the choke. The choke in vespas is exactly above the fuel on/off knob. Whereas in the Bajaj 150/Priya chassis, it was adjacent to it. This doesn't detract much from the look, but it needs to be mentioned nevertheless.

The horn also became black in these later models, as did the levers, switch cover, headlight rim, taillight housing, dickey latch, seat handle etc. Definitely a cost cutting measure to save on metal and chroming.
Insaneinsaan: Are you sure of the choke position? Attached a pic of my dad's single-owner Bajaj 150 for reference. Levers still were bare aluminium (the ones on ours were replaced at some point) while horn was chrome (i think, ours replaced again), switch cover chrome, dickey latch aluminium. Seat handle??

Yes, our scooter does have some non-original parts (levers, taillight which shattered in an accident sometime in the 80s, and horn too i think), but she's still still lovingly cared for. Am planning to give her a complete overhaul and cosmetic refurbishment to undo some of the wrongs done over the years. I somehow like the paint shade done because my dad says he found the original green a bit nauseating.
Yesterday I took apart the Dellorto and cleaned it up completely, but fuel just not flowing into the carb. Gummed up fuel lines?? Have to remove and clean the tank of all rust and deposits. Any suggestions folks?

I'd be grateful if someone could also provide info on availability of original aluminium levers, black plastic grips and taillight for this old girl in Bangalore, along with replacements for any other non-standard items visible in the pic.

Cheers
Rahul
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-scooter.jpg  

Old 23rd August 2010, 13:03   #116
Senior - BHPian

@Srisha...your PL170 looks awesome in green colour.Hats off to the restoration and paint job.
Old 23rd August 2010, 23:42   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hi Voodoochild, nice scooter your dad has, it's quite natural that these work horses getting some non original parts but one good thing is that your dad has still kept the scooter rather replacing these beauties with the plastic ponkies with one silly reason that they come with self starter.

Your scooter can be restored to a complete originality, dig up details through virtual world (Internet) about the specifications (how it looked then) as this is a bajaj 150 it may be with some small or minor differences with that to the vespa (I am not sure if the bajaj's had the vespa tail lamp) ask your dad about how it looked when he brought.

There are Umpty number of websites which offer all what you need for your dad's scooter and one day she will be a star.

Hi Srisha you PL 170 looks amazing, gives me a thought of ROCK STAR on road the colour also reminds me of my friend's car who has similar coloured car, it so refreshing. I liked the numbering on the scooter esp on the front panel.

Your scooter requires original monograms, and please remove the rectangular type cheatak (latest) numberplate and go for the older ones which are square shaped (I hope you not offended me commenting about number plate) this scooter has the similar tail lamp which came up with LML Alfa. Headlamp glass needs some tightining and thats it you have a ROCK STAR.
Old 24th August 2010, 16:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
thats a nice scooter, i can even see a good looking beetle there at the back, kindly throw some light
Old 25th August 2010, 11:13   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inderpalgill View Post
thats a nice scooter, i can even see a good looking beetle there at the back, kindly throw some light
Thank you Inderpal, thats my beetle and there is already a thread open.... here it is......

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...y-present.html
Old 1st September 2010, 12:14   #120
BANNED

Got hold of Vespa 150 in native running condition 1969 model for 3.5K with all papers, white paint which i may change it to dual color tone scheme.
Need advice how much these scooters are worth?As this is going to be my first scooter restoration job.
Eyeing few Lambrettas and Bobby's as well along with BSA bond.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks