Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 12:22   #211
BHPian

Re: Vespas and Vespas only

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwarmth View Post
...the original certificate of registration/fitness shows Chassis number 63010 and Engine number 61668.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniwarmth View Post
and from the frame. I'm totally confused by this number....looks like *V462 J2T *_3010*
You've answered your own query, atleast partly. The "_" in your _3010 is obviously a "6", making your chassis number 63010. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here.

OTOH, your engine seems to have been replaced somewhere along the line, as the engine number doesn't match the documents. Simple fix though

Oh, and congrats on the scoot! She's a beauty!

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 22nd November 2012, 13:26   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
You've answered your own query, atleast partly. The "_" in your _3010 is obviously a "6", making your chassis number 63010. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious here.
My editing time expired, so I'll have to post a new one. So lookie here! It seems your chassis number beginning V462 corresponds to an Indian-made Vespa (as is obvious from the year 1968). So it isn't included in the list you provided in the link. Still trying to dig out something on the engine number though.

Hope it helps for what its worth.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 27th November 2012, 11:40   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Hope it helps for what its worth.
Cheers,
Rahul
Thanks. I figured out the same -- looks like all Indian made Vespas had a chassis/engine nbr starting with: V252, V402 or V462.

As my engine number is totally different and is well marked up with Bajaj logos with narry Piaggio stamp, I'm assuming it was replaced.

Thanks again.
N
Old 4th December 2012, 12:12   #214

LML Vespa VIN / Serial Numbers?

Hello everyone,

I am currently researching a book about the smallframe Vespa and all of the various international variations. The area in which I require assistance is with the Vehicle Identification Numbers (VIN) or Serial Numbers for the bikes that have been manufactured in India. For example, I own a 1983 Vespa PK50SS Elestart the frame serial number is V5S1T 3000103 and the engine serial is V5S1M 3000546. I am searching for the equivalent serial numbers on Indian bikes. Specifically I am looking for the Serial Number prefixes for the APSL manufactured PL170 and the PVX, and the LML manufactured Pulse and Sensation. If anyone knows the serial number ranges that too would be greatly appreciated, for example 1984 PL170s were from chassis number 23,456-34,567.

Thanks again,

Sean
Old 4th December 2012, 12:22   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

re: LML Vespa VIN / Serial Numbers?

I don't know enough to help you with the research, but I would suggest that you modify the title of your post to include more keywords about what you are looking for, add "Vespa" at the very least, that will attract the attention of people with more knowledge in that specific area.

And what's the deal with Vancouver and Vespas?! I had a writer colleague who came here to Bangalore and picked up an old Vespa to take to Vancouver.

EDIT: Actually, I can think of two sources here on Team BHP you can search for and contact: Member "hillram" seems to be very knowledgeble on all things Vespa. And I believe that there are representatives from the Bangalore Classic Scooter Club here on the forum as well.

Last edited by am1m : 4th December 2012 at 12:27. Reason: Adding more info.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:29   #216

Re: LML Vespa VIN / Serial Numbers?

Thanks!

Vancouver has a strong scooter scene and has a large number of classic scooters still running. I personally have owned 10 scooters at various points over the last 8 years ranging from a 1961 Cushman Vespa 125cc (one of 3000 Vespas imported by American scooter manufacturer Cushman for sale between 1961-1963) to a 2001 Derbi Predator LC50, a 1976 Serveta Li150 Special (Spanish Lambretta), a 1987 Yamaha Riva 200, and a 1979 Vespa P200E. My primary passion though is smallframe Vespas and I've owned a 1974 Vespa 90, a 1981 Vespa 100 Sport (similar to a PL170) a 1983 Vespa PK50SS (a 50cc that looks like an LML Sensation) and a 1987 Vespa PK50XL. I've also owned a Taiwanese PGO smallframe 125LS Sport.

A great number of the vintage bikes that are on the road here have passed through the hands of many enthusiats along the way, but demand seems to have outstripped supply. This is the reason that Western countries have been importing Eastern vintage bikes for quite some time. Currently LML have scooters for sale in Canada and the United States (the 4T Stella) and until 2006 Bajaj sold the 4T version of the Chetak here. Unfortunately many people decided before the economy crashed that a quick and easy way to make some money would be to go to Asia (usually Vietnam). Buy a shipping container full of "restored" Vespas, and send it home to sell to unsuspecting individuals. More often than not these bikes had been made to look beautiful with many hours of cosmetic work but rarely had mechanical rebuilds. Consequently the new owners of these bikes, after having purchased them for upwards of $6000 found that they required many hours of expensive repairs (a scooter shop here charges between $80-95/hour for mechanical work). Add to this the cost of new parts for the bike and many people ended up paying closer to $8000 before they could even enjoy riding it. This has unfortunately left a bad taste in the mouths of many North American consumers with regards to ALL vintage scooters that make their way from overseas. It is quite unfortunate as I've several friends who own older Bajaj scooters and they are incredibly dependable machines and I know at least a half dozen owners of more recent Chetaks and Stellas.

As one of the more active members of my local scooter club (I attended 12 scooter rallies last year, one of which I organised) I see hundreds of enthusiasts all over the Pacific Northwestern part of the United States and the Western part of Canada. Scooters are finally been perceived as a more viable mainstream method of transportation here. I even convinced my retired father to buy a 2010 Vespa GTS 300, he is having the time of his life.
Skwirly is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 21:08   #217
Distinguished - BHPian

We had once had a debate here about the horn console of the Bajaj 150. The Vespa 150 in India initially had the very original Piaggio horn console. This was continued for the Bajaj 150 in its initial days in its original form. The Bajaj 150 featured below is from 1972 and the horn console is unchanged - a carry over from the very old Vespa design.

Vespas and Vespas only-1957-faro-basso-125cc.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-1965-vespa-vbb2-150cc.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00564a.jpg

The Indian Vespa of 1968

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00555a.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00555b.jpg

Early 1972 Bajaj 150

By 1974 the horn console of the Bajaj 150 changed and was carried over to the Bajaj Super. The Chetak too had a similar shaped one. Guess it was influenced from the later Italian Vespa designs:

Attachment 1045281

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th January 2013 at 21:26.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 19:36   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

A 1968 Vespa spotted at a display in Nagpur.The two tone colour scheme is quite catchy. The Vespa has many original fitments including the speedo.

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00564a.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00572a.jpg
Old 18th February 2013, 07:17   #219
BHPian

Hi

I'm new to this world of scooters.

Recently I heard of a model of Vespa called PL 100. Could someone tell me more about this model?

Thanks a lot!

Elegant Pig
Old 18th February 2013, 13:44   #220

Hi Elegant Pig!

I'm guessing that you are referring to one of two models, the first, manufactured in India by Andhra Pradesh Scooters Limited is the PL170. The second, manufactured in Indonesia by PT Danmotor Vespa Indonesia is the P100TS. Both models are built on the same platform as the Vespa 50 Special, and use a slightly differnet chassis with a left side cowl glove box. Both have a four speed manual transmission 100cc two-stroke engine. It is more likely that the model you've heard of is the PL170 manufactured from
1982-1987. If you have any more questions, just ask.
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-vespa50special.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-pl170ad.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-danmotor-p100ts-better-ride-vespa.jpg  

Old 20th February 2013, 00:18   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwirly View Post
Hi Elegant Pig!

I'm guessing that you are referring to one of two models, the first, manufactured in India by Andhra Pradesh Scooters Limited is the PL170. The second, manufactured in Indonesia by PT Danmotor Vespa Indonesia is the P100TS. Both models are built on the same platform as the Vespa 50 Special, and use a slightly differnet chassis with a left side cowl glove box. Both have a four speed manual transmission 100cc two-stroke engine. It is more likely that the model you've heard of is the PL170 manufactured from
1982-1987. If you have any more questions, just ask.
Thanks a lot for the prompt help, Skwirly! I was referring to the one manufactured in India. So, I guess it is PL 170. I have not seen this vehicle, yet. But will let you know if I do! Thanks again!
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:37   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more Vespa pictures:

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00609.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00611.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00612.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00621.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00658.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00659.jpg

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc00686.jpg
Old 27th February 2013, 17:52   #223
BHPian

Here's s photo of my 1956 Vespa that I had purchased from my University English professor. I found it parked between two of our campus buildings in the middle of winter all covered in snow and ice. Not sure how I found who it belonged to but when I asked him about it he said it wasn't working and he agreed to sell it to me for $50. All it needed was a new clutch cable and I drove it for two years.

I had a few long trips with it. The first about 200 miles to Rondeau Park where I had a summer job, collecting garbage in the mornings, checking out all the new ladies that were camping and then climbing my white "ivory tower" as a life guard for the afternoons. It was a magical summer that I shared with my twin brother. This photo was taken as I returned from Life Guard duty and when I was young and awesome. Jim and I purchased these two Model A fords that we fixed up, sold one and took the coupe back to Toronto with us.

My longest trip was about 250 miles to visit my family who lived close to Windsor Ontario. I left late afternoon after school mid October and found myself about half way, it was dark and cold and being exhausted as I passed through a small town, I stopped in to the Police Station to see if I could "crash" in one of their empty cells. My only time being a guest of those "who serve and protect".

On the way back all bundled up, again in the late evening, I was at full throttle driving along our major 401 highway. At bout 10.30pm., to stretch my legs a bit, I put my feet on the clips at the side of the frame. When I put them down I must have put my foot on the brake pedal as suddenly the rear wheel locked up, the head light when off and I found myself fish-tailing down the dark road. Not sure how fast I was going when the Vespa flipped. There were a few cars on the road at that time and they stopped to help me with one kind couple taking me to a hospital about 10 miles away. I had a few stitches to my head and they returned me to my Vespa quite upset that I was continuing my journey back to Toronto.

It was such fun and comfortable to drive and, apart from gas and oil, didn't have spend any money on repairs. Lots of very fond memories of my one and only Vespa!
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-cars088.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-cars098.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-cars089.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-cars091.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 03:06   #224
Senior - BHPian

Two new additions to my fleet, trapezoid handle first generation chetak, all original with paint, odometer etc and 1st generation PRIYA 150. Plans to restore the trapezoid handle chetak first.
Attached Thumbnails
Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_1252.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_1253.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_1254.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_1255.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_1256.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0335.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0336.jpg  

Vespas and Vespas only-dsc_0338.jpg  

Old 1st March 2013, 21:31   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
Two new additions to my fleet, trapezoid handle first generation chetak, all original with paint, odometer etc and 1st generation PRIYA 150. Plans to restore the trapezoid handle chetak first.
Absolutely loved the Chetak.. What year is that? I would love to have one in my collection.. I picked up a complete trapezoidal handle bar assembly for chetak some time ago. Now i am waiting to get my hands on rest of the scooter..

Priyadarshan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks