Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Post-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:00   #1
BHPian

Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?

Hi all,

I've been looking for a Beetle, which can be a family weekend car. We have been looking around and not been able to locate anything we like (or at a reasonable price). Some beetles that we saw were also a mish-mash of parts from various models and I would like a clean/stock car.

While passing through one of the main roads in Hyderabad, I came across this rusting beetle. I thought it appropriate to post pictures of the car here and get the gurus views on (i) which model it is, (ii) whether it would make a good restoration project and (ii) what are the sort of costs and work that I would need to consider (include parts that I would need to import / are locally available). I will let the pictures do the talking for now.

If anyone knows the owner and if it is for sale, I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know. The garage where it is parked seems to have shut down a few years back and I am told that the garage owner stays in Secunderabad. There are one or two other rusting vintage cars there (whose photos I did not take since I was running late for a meeting)

I would also welcome leads to other beetles for sale in a good condition (and reasonable price) in Hyderabad or elsewhere in India. Looking forward to your comments.

Cheers,
Spyder
Attached Thumbnails
Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-22102009144.jpg  

Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-22102009145.jpg  

Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-22102009146.jpg  

Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-22102009147.jpg  

Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-22102009148.jpg  

Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-22102009149.jpg  

Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-22102009151.jpg  

Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-22102009152.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2009, 19:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

That Beatle and the other cars you mentioned belong to a cousin of our very own DKG.

There is some issue with them and they might not be for sale.

The unfortunate part is that these cars were in pristine dcondition at one time and have sadly been allowed to be vandalised and brough to this state...rather disgusting.

You can see the Adler Senior Sedan in the background in one of the pictures and there was also a Dodge tourer of teh early thirties with them.

Pretty sad fate to befall such well kept cars.
Old 2nd November 2009, 19:46   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the lead on the cars Wasif.

Found the link on the Adler (thanks to google and t-bhp ) at
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...ml#post1194822

Any idea what was the issue with the cars? Its a pity to see it in this condition. I hope somebody can still give it a good home.

Which model beetle is this and how much it would cost to bring it back to its pristine glory? Looking forward to more inputs from the beetle fans here.

Cheers,
Spyder
Old 2nd November 2009, 20:13   #4
BANNED

Wow a nice Beetle, That one's supposed to be a 1963 /65 Bug.

Something like this to come out completely restored would cost around a lac or a lac n half.

Would make a goood project car.
Old 2nd November 2009, 21:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
While passing through one of the main roads in Hyderabad, I came across this rusting beetle. I thought it appropriate to post pictures of the car here and get the gurus views on (i) which model it is, (ii) whether it would make a good restoration project and (ii) what are the sort of costs and work that I would need to consider (include parts that I would need to import / are locally available).
I'm glad you finally got pics. of this car! 'been wanting to do it myself but every time I pass by that area, it either slips my mind or I'm a bit hesitant, as there is usually none to ask. I've been seeing this car fall to pieces for the last 3-4 years! It had the running board intact when I first saw it. Really sad that they've been let to rot like this! As wasif said, the property is said to be under some dispute (maybe legal) so the cars are not for sale right now. Maybe after the place is sold, which may be too late for the cars!
Also sorry I got your sms etc. but haven't been able to help you so far in locating a beetle, being preoccupied with other work!

You took any pics. of any of the other cars there btw?

Last edited by Stanher : 2nd November 2009 at 21:37.
Old 2nd November 2009, 23:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Spyder..there are atleast 3 Beetles that I know are for Sale.
A white one is in a pristine condition but the owner is asking 5 Lakhs
A Red one is fairly in a decent shape and the owner is asking 1.5 Lakhs
A badly unrestored beetle is also available
All these cars are near Masab Tank.Please PM me if you want to take a look.
Old 3rd November 2009, 10:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

I guess this car has got few good accessory like head lamp rim, bumbers and a good old engine and few other body parts which makes me feel this car can be a good donor car.
Old 3rd November 2009, 15:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Something like this to come out completely restored would cost around a lac or a lac n half.

Would make a goood project car.
@Pavan. Thanks. Could you give me some idea of the cost break-up. I am expecting the body work to be around 50k, the painting to be around 25k, the interiors to be another 25k. Would this be a proper estimate? Not sure about the engine though - would need to be de-rusted. Could you help me out there with some information. Also, I would probably need to get all the rubber beadings changed, new headlamps and other light accessories. Are these all available locally in hyd / Blr or would they need to be imported? Rough costs would be great. Thx.

@Stanher - I've been seeing this car lying there for sometime myself and nobody knows where the owner is so finally decided to go ahead with taking pictures. Little did I realise that it belonged to a cousin of our very own DKG :-) Wonder if the legal dispute extends to the cars or just the property..however, it will not be right to comment on their personal matters. Didn't take any other pics of the cars there, but Karlos had taken one earlier. See http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...ml#post1332545

@Hillram - Here I was asking for one and you've given me 3 leads!!! I would definitely be interested to see them all and ready to leave now if need be Have sent you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I guess this car has got few good accessory like head lamp rim, bumbers and a good old engine and few other body parts which makes me feel this car can be a good donor car.
Chanu, it would be unfortunate to see such a car have to become a donor car. It is still salvagable and the vintage fans here have actually restored cars in worse conditions.

Last edited by Spyder : 3rd November 2009 at 16:00. Reason: typos
Old 19th November 2009, 23:41   #9
BHPian

@Spyder, Did you see those cars ? post the pics if possible.
Old 20th November 2009, 00:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Spyder sorry for my ignorance. Infact what you said is very much right Team BHpians restore cars/automobile from a much pathetic condition. I salute their zeal and hardwork and I believe this car should join that band. Wishing this German wonder a lot of good luck
Old 7th December 2009, 17:12   #11
BHPian

@Spyder there is one available in bengaluru its a 1976 beetle... I will share the pick once its available
Old 9th December 2009, 11:19   #12
BHPian

Here is the pic...

1976 beetle in bengaluru...
Any info on this Hyd / Del Beetle?-image0081_non.jpg
Old 10th December 2009, 08:15   #13
BHPian

No -- This is a 71 or 72 only Super.
Old 10th December 2009, 23:27   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Convertible View Post
No -- This is a 71 or 72 only Super.
Are you sure Byas.

Maybe now you would change your statement.

This car belongs to Mushtaq.
Old 11th December 2009, 06:12   #15
BHPian

Positive. look at 2 things:
1. trunk shape -- it is the more rounded shape of the super.
2. flat screen -- supers had flat screen only for 71 and 72 (1302)

So only possibility is that the photo exaggerates the shape of the curve and that it is not a super -- in which case it's a a standard and could be of many other years. But, I'm willing to bet it is a 1302 super.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks